The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 October 2014, 06:46 AM   #1
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
Daytona doesn't equal 40mm, what else are they exaggerating?

A while back I read that the Daytona was smaller than 40mm. I put it to the test. I am kinda anal when it comes to measurements and accuracy. Rolex says the Daytona is a 40mm case. When I measure it with a set of digital calipers I get 38.55mm. Is this only true on the SS version of the Daytona? It does kind of make me wonder what else they are exaggerating. Has anyone measured their Rolex watch case to see what the real size is?

I did measure all my other watches and found them all to be true to their advertised sizes.

I went and measured my wife's watch a 31mm Datejust. It came to 31.54mm
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography

Last edited by Ken B; 1 October 2014 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: Added a watch
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 07:03 AM   #2
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Call the lawyers!
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 08:09 AM   #3
Kadhytia
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX, AP, and PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
Call the lawyers!
Kadhytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 07:07 AM   #4
SWISSAHOLICS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Never measured any watch but it is known that Daytonas do wear smaller than other Rolex sports models.

"The one thing I fear most is time; time waits for no one and leaves no options."
SWISSAHOLICS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 09:40 AM   #5
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWISSAHOLICS View Post
Never measured any watch but it is known that Daytonas do wear smaller than other Rolex sports models.

...which is just the way I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 07:18 AM   #6
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I read somewhere that the 16570 is actually 39 mm and not 40 mm. Not that it really matters.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 07:28 AM   #7
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
Did you measure the bezel, or the sides? Hard to do accurately 9 to 3, but the side of the case bulges out a bit more than the edge of the bezel.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 07:36 AM   #8
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Is there a standard measurement practice for all watch cases ?
Old 1 October 2014, 07:59 AM   #9
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

guess that explains why it wears smaller that a 40mm. i know my polar exp2 wears smaller than my 16610, hard to imagine that 1mm makes a difference if its indeed 39mm
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 08:08 AM   #10
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
This is like measuring your private parts. Some times you don't want to know specifics, and just go with a rough estimate, rounding up of course
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 08:10 AM   #11
IAN1
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
This is like measuring your private parts. Some times you don't want to know specifics, and just go with a rough estimate, rounding up of course
IAN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 09:35 AM   #12
Porsche
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: and learn
Quote:
OK, I'll try that.. I'll get my yard-ruler out now

ROLEX --- SEIKO --- HEUER

TRF REHAUT
T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M T H E R O L E X F O R U M
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 11:37 AM   #13
Watchvirgin
Banned

Watch: AP
Quote:

LOLOLOL
Watchvirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 12:24 PM   #14
rolepam312
"TRF" Member

That explains it

Quote:
No wonder my Rolex is the least accurate of all my watches ... They just do enough to make sure it runs somewhat accurate , who cares about the details like ensuring proper measurement for case size... Just round them up... It's only a " timepiece "....by the way, Daytona's are not "40" ... 39 if that, and those of you who think it doesn't make a difference, think again, it's a psychological issue, knowing something is 39mm is different than telling you it's 40 and you know it's not... Some sellers here have resorted to such tactics, describing their watch is " 40" when the manufacturer says otherwise ... So why would the seller do that?? Because that extra 1mm becomes an issues when we decide to purchase.... I find such tactic misleading and dishonest...therefore, Rolex is misleading and dishonest when they can't provide proper measurement ... SubC 40??? I don't think so....
rolepam312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 07:56 AM   #15
GradyPhilpott

Watch: Tudor BB36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolepam312 View Post
No wonder my Rolex is the least accurate of all my watches ... They just do enough to make sure it runs somewhat accurate , who cares about the details like ensuring proper measurement for case size... Just round them up... It's only a " timepiece "....by the way, Daytona's are not "40" ... 39 if that, and those of you who think it doesn't make a difference, think again, it's a psychological issue, knowing something is 39mm is different than telling you it's 40 and you know it's not... Some sellers here have resorted to such tactics, describing their watch is " 40" when the manufacturer says otherwise ... So why would the seller do that?? Because that extra 1mm becomes an issues when we decide to purchase.... I find such tactic misleading and dishonest...therefore, Rolex is misleading and dishonest when they can't provide proper measurement ... SubC 40??? I don't think so....
This is the most ridiculous post I've read on this site in a very long time.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 09:34 PM   #16
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
What worst than my posts?......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2014, 11:06 PM   #17
rolepam312
"TRF" Member

Likewise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

Your opinion of my opinion, I find equally ridiculous....
rolepam312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 09:25 PM   #18
Steel28
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Steel28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 06:43 AM   #19
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hope you're not gonna post a pic with a caliper, John.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2014, 05:00 PM   #20
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 08:11 AM   #21
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

This chart is helpful. http://cockmaker.com.au/rolex_case_size.html
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 09:57 PM   #22
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstore View Post
Good chart but why no DJII??? That's the one I'm curious about
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 10:08 PM   #23
Ken B
"TRF" Member

Watch: To many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Good chart but why no DJII??? That's the one I'm curious about
I looked at that chart too, and agree its pretty good. But my guess is it's older and hasn't been updated to reflect the most recent changes in the rolex line up. For instance my wife's 31mm Datejust measured larger than that chart.

I measured in three locations taking three measurments in each. The round bezel, from 1:30 to 6:30 & 4:30 to 10:30. These locations are just below and above the pushers. All my measurements where consistent and returned 38.5-38.55. I gave the size the benifit of the doubt and went with the larger 38.55mm

This thread has brought out some of the most childish comments. It's unfortunate...

This thread also isn't just a Daytona thread. Its about sizing and like what the chart reflects. All the watches seem to be effected.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze 43mm
KRB Imaging and Photography
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2014, 11:57 PM   #24
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post

This thread also isn't just a Daytona thread. Its about sizing and like what the chart reflects. All the watches seem to be effected.
The issue is that most people 99% probably buy visually and by feeling, not with callipers. The Deepsea is not 44mm more like 43.7 or something. Do I care, nope. Numbers don't mean anything except to give my brain an idea of what I'm to expect based on what I already feel comfortable with.
I do know I like the Daytona and it's "small" size, 39, 40, whatever. Look at what Rolex did with the Sub, made it look bigger but it's still 40mm. AP does the same because their watches lack traditional lugs so the watch looks bigger, but it's all about feel and sight, not callipers.

If this is an advertising or legal issue for you then that's another story. Before we throw numbers at Rolex you need to see their design blueprints(not happening) to understand exactly what they assess in the context of each reference for measuring and at what point do they round up or down and why. There's a lot more I'm sure to consider, but goodness gracious, would this really deter anyone from buying a Rolex.

Have you measured AP's watches or Patek's. Is this really a consideration when buying a watch, I like it but..... one second while I pull out my callipers and confirm the thickness is what you say it is, and do you mind if I weigh it to establish the actual weight.....

I just don't get how this is significant....my friends who aren't wis couldn't even tell the difference between my LVc and my buddies regular LV, until I specifically put my LVc's dial in the light. Most buyers walk into an AD and look for what they want and try it on and decide based on that. They'll just see a DJ and say yes I like the smaller one or no I like this bigger one, looks better. They have no idea one is 36mm and the other 41mm, or 37mm and 41.5.
Doesn't matter, in my opinion. Hopefully you can get some resolution to this problem with these measurements for yourself.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2014, 02:15 AM   #25
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
The issue is that most people 99% probably buy visually and by feeling, not with callipers. The Deepsea is not 44mm more like 43.7 or something. Do I care, nope. Numbers don't mean anything except to give my brain an idea of what I'm to expect based on what I already feel comfortable with.
I do know I like the Daytona and it's "small" size, 39, 40, whatever. Look at what Rolex did with the Sub, made it look bigger but it's still 40mm. AP does the same because their watches lack traditional lugs so the watch looks bigger, but it's all about feel and sight, not callipers.

If this is an advertising or legal issue for you then that's another story. Before we throw numbers at Rolex you need to see their design blueprints(not happening) to understand exactly what they assess in the context of each reference for measuring and at what point do they round up or down and why. There's a lot more I'm sure to consider, but goodness gracious, would this really deter anyone from buying a Rolex.

Have you measured AP's watches or Patek's. Is this really a consideration when buying a watch, I like it but..... one second while I pull out my callipers and confirm the thickness is what you say it is, and do you mind if I weigh it to establish the actual weight.....

I just don't get how this is significant....my friends who aren't wis couldn't even tell the difference between my LVc and my buddies regular LV, until I specifically put my LVc's dial in the light. Most buyers walk into an AD and look for what they want and try it on and decide based on that. They'll just see a DJ and say yes I like the smaller one or no I like this bigger one, looks better. They have no idea one is 36mm and the other 41mm, or 37mm and 41.5.
Doesn't matter, in my opinion. Hopefully you can get some resolution to this problem with these measurements for yourself.
I like you a lot today, Rashid...You make a lotta sense, my brother. I agree with all of your main points but especially the part about the blueprints. Basing this whole thing on one guy's not necessarily accurate hand/calipre measurement makes it all the more banal.
Old 8 January 2015, 08:02 AM   #26
sunshine9393
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are NICE!
Quote:
Nice typo there by the way...

I love my Daytona and don't really care much what the exact dimensions are, but someone brought up a good point - if they're happy to list the Explorer as 39mm, why wouldn't they do the same with the Daytona?
sunshine9393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2015, 08:16 AM   #27
Quotron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine9393 View Post
Nice typo there by the way...
Yeah I thought that was pretty funny, especially with the post a couple of replies above...
Quotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2015, 03:20 AM   #28
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:
Um, think you made a Freudian slip there....
alanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2015, 03:20 AM   #29
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
Quote:
alanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2015, 04:26 AM   #30
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanc View Post
http://clockmaker.com.au/rolex_case_size.html
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote