The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 October 2018, 03:44 AM   #1
Wonderwoman
"TRF" Member

Getting a Steel Daytona from an AD

Hi guys! I'm looking to get a new SS Daytona for my husband's 40th birthday and I'm encountering a lot of issues with authorized dealers in local area. Even jewelers I've bought Rolexes from in the past (and granted, I'm not a huge buyer) have told me that they aren't taking names. My father worked with one store in NYC many years ago to acquire his Rolexes, and I've been told they'll put me on their waitlist but it's many years long. Another dealer I called says they've taken full deposits from three customers and don't know when they'll be able to fill their orders. I've even been told that simple watches like steel Subs are difficult to get.

I know there is high demand for the SS Daytona but this sounds really ridiculous. In the past, my name has come up on the waitlist and I've been offered ones within 3 to 6 months even from jewelers I've never purchased anything with, but I've always had to decline for various life reasons. Is this just a new occurrence or are they selling me BS?

And while I'm at it, are there ADs that anyone can recommend who won't give me the runaround? Just trying to get my husband a watch on his wishlist especially when he's been so supportive the past few years with my school and career. Thanks!
Wonderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:06 AM   #2
kauffee
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
This is the reality of stainless steel Rolex at the moment. Most models are unavailable and the SS Daytona is still arguably the hardest to get. You're not getting the run-around... it's been the story of that watch since the ceramic version was released a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, the only real solution for you is to buy it on the secondary market. "Trusted Sellers" like DavidSW, Takuya, SohAIS and others can have that watch for you immediately if you're willing to pay a significant premium over the retail price. If it's worth it to you, that's the way to go.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:11 AM   #3
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Hi and welcome to the forum!
In short, Daytona is currently one of the hottest and rare watch on the market. Most of ADs don't selling you BS. A lot of TRF members here (including me) trying to source one for quite a long time. Best luck for sourcing one for your husband.
Oh, BTW you can buy Daytona C from gray market for premium, a lot more then MSRP if you wish so.
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:14 AM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwoman View Post
And while I'm at it, are there ADs that anyone can recommend who won't give me the runaround?
Not in the DC area sorry

Buy from a trusted seller here
Omega Seamaster SMP300m, Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent Clock
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:14 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
This is the state of affairs and I'm surprised your husband isn't aware of this as he seems to know this watch exists and is hot. Unless you have a few years to play with I'd go to the next on his wishlist unless that too is a really hot model, then grey is the only way.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 05:58 AM   #6
penguinrolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
This is the state of affairs and I'm surprised your husband isn't aware of this as he seems to know this watch exists and is hot.
If he hasn't been buying watches for the past two years, he might not realize how the market changed in past two years. My friends all think I should be able to find a blnr for 10% discount in ten minutes, because that's how it was when they bought theirs.
penguinrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:14 AM   #7
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Not to be sarcastic but this is pretty much what it is. Get very lucky(it's possible), pay a premium(how much do you love him) or there are plenty more birthdays to come down the road. Forty, forty one it's all the same.

Good luck.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:16 AM   #8
kauffee
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
pay a premium(how much do you love him).
Ha!
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:31 AM   #9
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10XRolex View Post
pay a premium(how much do you love him)
Not a remortgage the house amount of love I’ll wager...

Show Hubby one of these and judge his reaction. Should be a lot easier to source.
https://www.rolex.com/watches/gmt-ma...blnr-0002.html
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:22 AM   #10
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
everyone here has summed it up so far. The steel daytona is basically treated like a reward for top spending customers at this point. Its the unicorn everyone wants at the AD. Best of luck in your search. If you don't want to pay 20k for it, you may want to look into getting a nice preowned non ceramic, its still going to cost more than MSRP of the new model but at least it won't be as much as the ceramic models.
Old 3 October 2018, 04:25 AM   #11
Brew
"TRF" Member

Perhaps his 50th?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 10:35 AM   #12
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Perhaps his 50th?
lol, this would work.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:40 AM   #13
antoflo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJII, Sub
buy yourself a lady datejust in platinum and you'll certainly get a SS Daytona for MSRP in the deal
antoflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:46 AM   #14
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoflo View Post
buy yourself a lady datejust in platinum and you'll certainly get a SS Daytona for MSRP in the deal
^This. Add a few good size diamond rings in the package for additional kicks. Make sure you get the SS Daytona at the same time otherwise goto another AD.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 07:33 AM   #15
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
is that a real thing?
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 07:53 AM   #16
antoflo
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJII, Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
is that a real thing?
Yes sir. There are plenty of dial options and they all come with a president bracelet.
antoflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 08:07 AM   #17
BVLDARI
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes sir. There are plenty of dial options and they all come with a president bracelet.
Ha, didn't realize that. Learn something new.
BVLDARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 04:49 AM   #18
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
First off I like your handle...
Secondly, it’s the state of affairs at the moment.
I’d go trusted seller here or search the classifieds
on the forum . Which model SS Daytona and color dial
are you looking for ?
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 05:12 AM   #19
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Dear Wonderwoman, the watch game has basically become musical chairs and if you aren't "in" with an AD or two, there are a couple of watches you wont be able to get. Unfortunately, the Daytona is one of those. You will either have to pay a premium OR change models. How about a Speedy, aka Omega Speedmaster......
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 05:14 AM   #20
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Get a two tone daytona !!!!
nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 12:07 PM   #21
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nektar View Post
Heavens, no!
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2018, 10:15 AM   #22
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nektar View Post
Great and sensible suggestion. Paying a gray dealer $10,000 extra for a steel Daytona... makes no sense, to put it mildly.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 05:25 AM   #23
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Get him a Vacheron or AP chrono

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 05:27 AM   #24
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
As much as I hate to say this, then you may wish to simply google "Davidsw Rolex" and buy the watch from him. David has an impeccable reputation. (Generally I always recommend that people buy at msrp from an AD but in this case that does not seem to be possible.)

You will pay more than msrp, but if you ask me, then that is better than spending large amounts of money just to establish a relationship with a dealer and no guarantee that you will actually get the watch you want.

The fact is that in today's market the msrp on Rolex steel sports watches appears to be set too low. If you compare what the likes of Omega and Breitling are asking for their watches, then Rolex watches are truly a bargain.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 05:55 AM   #25
MKLM
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
That is a tough one. Unfortunately that particular watch takes a relationship with an AD. I’d say it’s 50/50. How much they like you/how much you spend with them. Also let them know the occasion as it may help but that a hard watch to get at MSRP.
MKLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 06:15 AM   #26
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwoman View Post
Hi guys! I'm looking to get a new SS Daytona for my husband's 40th birthday and I'm encountering a lot of issues with authorized dealers in local area. Even jewelers I've bought Rolexes from in the past (and granted, I'm not a huge buyer) have told me that they aren't taking names. My father worked with one store in NYC many years ago to acquire his Rolexes, and I've been told they'll put me on their waitlist but it's many years long. Another dealer I called says they've taken full deposits from three customers and don't know when they'll be able to fill their orders. I've even been told that simple watches like steel Subs are difficult to get.

I know there is high demand for the SS Daytona but this sounds really ridiculous. In the past, my name has come up on the waitlist and I've been offered ones within 3 to 6 months even from jewelers I've never purchased anything with, but I've always had to decline for various life reasons. Is this just a new occurrence or are they selling me BS?

And while I'm at it, are there ADs that anyone can recommend who won't give me the runaround? Just trying to get my husband a watch on his wishlist especially when he's been so supportive the past few years with my school and career. Thanks!
Good luck to you, the dealers you’ve spoken with are telling you the truth. The market has never been hotter and as they said, just about every stainless sports model is hard to find and is selling above MSRP on the secondary market. I’d advise you pay a premium on the secondary market if you must have a certain watch. Your other two options are to consider the watch in a precious metal or two-tone- yes, more expensive but more readily available and not much more expensive than stainless secondary prices at this point, sadly. Your third option is consider a brand other than Rolex.

I’ve bought watches from Tiny Jewel Box and Lenkersdorfer in the DC area - both great ADs!
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 06:21 AM   #27
psv
2024 Pledge Member

Hi Wonderwoman,

First of all, this is a very nice gesture to your husband. Now the sad part is that is is pretty much impossible. The watch you want simply doesn't exist in the retail channels, it is not like L&B, Lenkerdorfer, etc have a bunch in the vault and they are not giving them to you - they have hundreds of people of the list - many of which have spent hundreds and thousands of dollars on jewelry and watches with them - and they still cannot get them.

There is no one here that can give you an inside track to an AD that can give you a watch, I'm afraid.

You only have two choices - either pay up $20K for one on the secondary market, or come up with another model that is less popular.

Best of luck, I wish I had better news for you.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 06:35 AM   #28
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

Sorry to say it's the reality regarding getting a SS Daytona at MSRP. You might consider getting something else instead.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 06:45 AM   #29
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I’d go to the grey market or pick another model.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2018, 07:23 AM   #30
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
As already said, good on you for searching for your husband but I think if it's a Daytona he wants in this market, I highly doubt you'll get lucky at an AD.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote