The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2024, 01:28 AM   #1
Ninja Master
Banned

Tudor stores in lower class shopping malls

Yes I know I'm being snobby, but I don't think it's good for their brand.

I was in a shopping mall today in a suburban town with around 100k people. Most of the residents live in public housing.

The shopping mall is kind of run down, and has a poor vibe.

Tudor has a store there.

I don't think Tudor should be doing this. Having a store in a mall aimed at working class and unemployed people just makes the watches look "cheap".

There's a reason Rolex, Breguet, Patek Philippe, and so on avoid malls like this. It's not just the lack of sales, it's protecting the brand from being associated with poor people.

Anyone agree with me on this?
Ninja Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 01:29 AM   #2
Tylerlsu2008
"TRF" Member

Tylerlsu2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 01:37 AM   #3
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Oooofff tough day for humility around here
Old 5 August 2024, 02:41 AM   #4
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
ROFL my thoughts exactly. I get what the OP is trying to say but if they are selling enough watches and paying less overhead than having a more expensive lease in a more affluent area then they are enjoying a better net profit margin.

If customers shopping for a Tudor decide that’s not the appropriate location for a boutique by not patronizing it, then the free market will sort that out quickly as well.
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 06:44 AM   #5
eugenetsang
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
ROFL my thoughts exactly. I get what the OP is trying to say but if they are selling enough watches and paying less overhead than having a more expensive lease in a more affluent area then they are enjoying a better net profit margin.

If customers shopping for a Tudor decide that’s not the appropriate location for a boutique by not patronizing it, then the free market will sort that out quickly as well.

end of the day, Tudor never really catered to the high net worth customers. Tudor is the "everyday" man's watch. Affordable and readily available. You can walk into the AD and walk out with whatever Tudor they have on the shelf. No BS. No gimmick. That's what I did.

So if Tudor ADs are popping up in "lower end" malls, that means there's a market for it and customers are gobbling them up. Otherwise why would there be a AD there?
eugenetsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 02:10 PM   #6
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenetsang View Post
end of the day, Tudor never really catered to the high net worth customers. Tudor is the "everyday" man's watch. Affordable and readily available. You can walk into the AD and walk out with whatever Tudor they have on the shelf. No BS. No gimmick. That's what I did.

So if Tudor ADs are popping up in "lower end" malls, that means there's a market for it and customers are gobbling them up. Otherwise why would there be a AD there?
That was my point exactly. And if there weren’t customers “gobbling” them up then they’d close it or move it to a different location
Tudor: Black Bay GMT Opaline
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 03:02 PM   #7
Guppydriver

Watch: 126710BLNR 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy87 View Post
That was my point exactly. And if there weren’t customers “gobbling” them up then they’d close it or move it to a different location
To your point...

I'd gladly drive to the "Mervyns Mall" to buy a Tudor if I was treated the right way when I walked in with my shorts and tee. It beats getting high browed as you file past the Patek section. Plus, think of all the money you save by hitting Sabarro's on the way out as opposed to the Ruth Chris next to the Vacheron Boutique.
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 03:46 AM   #8
Jasb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely
Jasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 08:57 AM   #9
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon6 for real for real

Quote:

Ain't it always! lmao
Old 5 August 2024, 01:38 AM   #10
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Yes, Rolex and Cartier just pulled out of a lower and mall in Orlando. With that the store closed down.

The Tudor boutiques that I am familiar with are in Yorkdale Mall in Toronto and Mall at Millenia in Orlando. Both high end malls. Especially Yorkdale.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 09:29 PM   #11
ciceroyeah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
Yes, Rolex and Cartier just pulled out of a lower and mall in Orlando. With that the store closed down.

The Tudor boutiques that I am familiar with are in Yorkdale Mall in Toronto and Mall at Millenia in Orlando. Both high end malls. Especially Yorkdale.
I've been to the Tudor "boutique" in Yorkdale. It's basically a closet/afterthought and they don't even get the newest models in stock. You're better off going to one of the many Toronto ADs that carry Tudor.

Perhaps if the purpose of Tudor is to be the working man's Rolex, i.e. what Rolex was before it went up-market, then it makes sense to put your stores where your target demographic might actually encounter them.
ciceroyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 11:34 PM   #12
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceroyeah View Post
I've been to the Tudor "boutique" in Yorkdale. It's basically a closet/afterthought and they don't even get the newest models in stock. You're better off going to one of the many Toronto ADs that carry Tudor.

Perhaps if the purpose of Tudor is to be the working man's Rolex, i.e. what Rolex was before it went up-market, then it makes sense to put your stores where your target demographic might actually encounter them.
The owners tend to focus more on Rolex next door
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 01:42 AM   #13
Krash

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Tudor stores in lower class shopping malls

It’s not as if Rolex, Breguet, and Patek don’t want to be associated with poor people. They sell their watches where their customers are. There’s a big difference between Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, FL vs 69th Street in Upper Darby, PA. There’s not any multi-multi-millionaires walking around in Upper Darby.

BTW, I think it’s okay for me to pick on Upper Darby because I grew up there…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 11:46 AM   #14
BETRNSX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
It’s not as if Rolex, Breguet, and Patek don’t want to be associated with poor people. They sell their watches where their customers are. There’s a big difference between Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, FL vs 69th Street in Upper Darby, PA. There’s not any multi-multi-millionaires walking around in Upper Darby.

my grandparents lived around there in Upper Darby!
BETRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2024, 12:21 AM   #15
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

This is really just a reflection of how society has changed over the last 40 years, where branding, especially LUXURY branding, has taken on a life of it's own. Monetizing branding on social media is what every company wants to do these days.

When I was young in the 80's, Rolex was in small town jewelry stores and normal malls all over the country. Even into the 90's this was true. My isolated college town of 17,000 people had an AD with a single case and no more than 25-30 watches at any given time.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 04:13 AM   #16
TomInNJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

Yes, but it would be cool to pick up a Patek after you exit a concert at the Tower Theater.
TomInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 01:48 AM   #17
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
This thread is everything that is wrong with Rolex fans of today.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 01:57 AM   #18
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Such an on point comment. It amazes me what comes out of people’s heads these days. Or I should say their keyboards.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 02:54 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Have to agree 100%.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 09:18 AM   #20
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
have to agree 100%.
200%
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 03:12 AM   #21
Greenwich Mean Time
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Well said.
Greenwich Mean Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 05:10 AM   #22
Easy E

Quote:
this thread is everything that is wrong with rolex fans of today.
+1.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 05:51 AM   #23
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
I agree. I think it’s also partly why some owners are turning away from Rolex.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 09:59 AM   #24
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Quote:
This.
Old 5 August 2024, 10:58 AM   #25
Nova1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This thread is everything I love about this forum. I don’t see why the original poster deserved to be banned. Just because he openly gave an opinion shared honestly by a sizeable portion of Rolex wearing people in this world? It opened discourse and discussion. We have enough blnr vs blro topics.
I would go as far as to say this thread is no worse than the constant “going to NYC, safe to wear my Rolex?” threads.
The romanticism of Rolex as a working class brand helps people feel better about themselves. It’s been a symbol of affluence and sophistication for over 50 years. Ever seen the Concorde ads?
Nova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 11:07 AM   #26
joe100

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova1 View Post
This thread is everything I love about this forum. I don’t see why the original poster deserved to be banned. Just because he openly gave an opinion shared honestly by a sizeable portion of Rolex wearing people in this world? It opened discourse and discussion. We have enough blnr vs blro topics.
His words were not only ill-considered but entirely lacking in tact. A gentleman should exercises restraint, choosing silence over sharing opinions that might betray poor taste. Honesty is not always the best policy.
Old 5 August 2024, 07:57 PM   #27
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
I would go as far as to say this thread is no worse than the constant “going to NYC, safe to wear my Rolex?” threads.
The romanticism of Rolex as a working class brand helps people feel better about themselves. It’s been a symbol of affluence and sophistication for over 50 years. Ever seen the Concorde ads?
The many types of threads you cited do all coexist. I’m certainly not comparing them to one another, but certainly agree many are not great. But this thread is truly out of touch, to me at least. Pure conjecture but based on threads like this, it seems like new (and many old) Rolex ‘enthusiasts’ are little more than concerned about money. How Rolex became a vehicle for these people to try to speculate is beyond me. Just wear the watch and enjoy, don’t worry about whether Tudor is perceived as a “poor people’s brand,” which is what OP implied. Utter nonsense.
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 09:07 PM   #28
enicar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Banning the OP for this thread is preposterous...ban on thinking?
enicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2024, 10:10 PM   #29
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enicar View Post
Banning the OP for this thread is preposterous...ban on thinking?
Tend to agree. What did the OP do to get banned? Stating an unpopular opinion that many share?

Sent from my SM-X710 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2024, 05:13 AM   #30
pigman08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,16710,214270
Quote:

I’ve seen the Concorde ads…I’ve also seen these two, along with countless others that portray Rolex as a watch worn by a rough & tumble breed that views Rolex as a watch that is tougher than they are and will still be ticking long after they aren’t… Different people have different perceptions of what Rolex symbolizes, and that’s okay… My dad was a roofing contractor for 45 years, and I spent far too many years working in offshore oilfields around the world: There’s nothing even remotely affluent or sophisticated about our career paths or lifestyles, but we both worked hard and bought watches that we knew we could wear everyday and would last a lifetime… I try not to overthink it and simply view Rolex as a watch that anyone can own if they are able to save up for it… It’s far too easy to pass judgement on socioeconomic situations in order to make myself feel better, and that’s simply a path that I’d rather not go down.

♛- Yet to be determined, but a white 16520 is on the short list. (I believe that I'll be able to read it better than my old 116520)
pigman08 is offline   Reply With Quote