The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 15 June 2024, 03:25 AM   #1
leoliang1990
"TRF" Member

Really bad experience with Bucher TimeMachine in NYC

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my recent experience with Bucherer TimeMachine in NYC, hoping it might help others. This was the worst shopping experience I ever had.

Timeline of Events:
May 4: I placed an order in-store at Bucherer TimeMachine for a $20,000 Rolex Daytona. I was told it could be delivered to my NJ address the next day.
May 8: The package was not yet delivered, and I needed to be out of the country for an extended period. I asked the sales representative to intercept the package and ship it back to proceed with the refund.
May 22: No update on the refund process.
May 25: Reached out to the sales manager for an update on the refund process.
May 28: The sales manager started an investigation process with UPS and promised a result by June 4th.
June 5: UPS concluded that the package was lost, and the claim process began.
June 5-10: No updates from Bucherer. I emailed the sales manager multiple times, called the phone number from her email signature, and contacted the retail store many times, but no one picked up. I also called Bucherer customer service, but they could only forward my request to the retail store.
June 11: UPS somehow delivered the package, but it was signed by a stranger.
June 12: The sales manager finally emailed me back but refused the refund because the package was delivered and suggested I file a police report.
June 13: UPS updated the status and sent the package back to Bucherer.
June 14: Bucherer received the package and started the refund process.

Points of Concern:
Lack of Ownership: The sales manager refused the refund because the package was received by a stranger without my approval. Fortunately, the package was eventually sent back to Bucherer. If UPS had mishandled the situation further, it should not be my responsibility to file a police report.
Missing Communication: There was a period of over 10 days with no communication from the sales manager, despite my multiple emails, calls to the number in the email signature, and calls to the retail store. This lack of responsiveness is unacceptable and has added to the overall frustration.
Delivery Delay and Initial Refund Refusal: The package failed to deliver on time. The original sales representative refused to process a refund and offered only an exchange. The refund was finally approved after I escalated to the sales manager.
Extended Process Time: The entire process has taken an unreasonable amount of time and has caused significant inconvenience while I am out of the country. The delays and lack of communication have been extremely frustrating.
Unprofessional Handling of Delivery Issues: Despite my request to return the package and UPS concluding it was lost, UPS attempted to deliver it a month later, and it was signed for by a stranger.
Product Knowledge: The original watch is dated 1990, but the dial was not from the same period, even though it is authenticated by Rolex. The sales representative had zero knowledge about the history of the watch.

Current Status:
The refund process is now in progress, but the overall handling of this situation has been far below the standards I expected from Bucherer.
I hope sharing my experience helps others who may be considering making a purchase from Bucherer TimeMachine.
leoliang1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 10:26 AM   #2
schwartz914
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Why did you have it shipped?
schwartz914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 08:21 AM   #3
leoliang1990
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartz914 View Post
Why did you have it shipped?
By shipping it out of state (I live in NJ), it could safe me some sales tax.
Old 24 June 2024, 09:34 PM   #4
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliang1990 View Post
By shipping it out of state (I live in NJ), it could safe me some sales tax.
Taxes don’t work like that. You still owe the tax, just to Nj.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:00 AM   #5
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
lmao, him getting into this situation because he was trying to commit tax fraud makes it even better
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 06:43 AM   #6
leoliang1990
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are a such good citizen. I assume you never purchase in the tax-free state or out of country to save the sales tax.
I respect you.
Old 26 June 2024, 04:22 AM   #7
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You are a such good citizen. I assume you never purchase in the tax-free state or out of country to save the sales tax.
I respect you.
If I need to save the sales tax I can’t afford it. Same with cars - if I have to register in Montana I can’t afford the car.
Old 25 June 2024, 11:13 AM   #8
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yeah right, I am sure you pay your out of state taxes to the state.
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 04:23 AM   #9
SMD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Yeah right, I am sure you pay your out of state taxes to the state.
Believe what you want. I have paid sales tax on all my watches, even the six figure ones. I even pay it on my cars. Weird huh.
Old 15 June 2024, 11:29 AM   #10
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M/214270
you take the job of making an TRF account, criticizing the seller, who sent the watch... the problem here is UPS's, not the seller's in the first place.

You create an account only as a good Samaritan to report that UPS lost a package... something strange, right?

Thank you for thinking of all the strangers who read your message ... but you should start this in a mail sending forum to report how badly UPS treats you ... and how hurt you are because the seller started a refund a day after he received the watch again and that they surely did not send it again because you were something intense in the process, even knowing that they were going to reimburse you
«Watches? In those of the ancient world, when they were sunny, there was a phrase inscribed: Omnia vulnerant, ultima necat all the hours hurt, the last kills. That certainty is, ultimately, the secret mechanism that moves the hands of the clock.
forcinitijp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 06:49 AM   #11
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcinitijp View Post
you take the job of making an trf account, criticizing the seller, who sent the watch... The problem here is ups's, not the seller's in the first place.

You create an account only as a good samaritan to report that ups lost a package... Something strange, right?

Thank you for thinking of all the strangers who read your message ... But you should start this in a mail sending forum to report how badly ups treats you ... And how hurt you are because the seller started a refund a day after he received the watch again and that they surely did not send it again because you were something intense in the process, even knowing that they were going to reimburse you
100%
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 08:26 AM   #12
leoliang1990
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcinitijp View Post
you take the job of making an TRF account, criticizing the seller, who sent the watch... the problem here is UPS's, not the seller's in the first place.

You create an account only as a good Samaritan to report that UPS lost a package... something strange, right?

Thank you for thinking of all the strangers who read your message ... but you should start this in a mail sending forum to report how badly UPS treats you ... and how hurt you are because the seller started a refund a day after he received the watch again and that they surely did not send it again because you were something intense in the process, even knowing that they were going to reimburse you

LOL, don't be so ignorance. I create the account to for looking for more info regarding the vintage daytona information before my purchase.

I didn't brame UPS only because UPS is hired by the Bucherer to delivered the high value package. For something like this, it is expected Bucherer ask UPS to request a signature. If this package is signed by a stranger, it should be Bucherer's fault, right?
Old 20 June 2024, 08:22 PM   #13
77T

Really bad experience with Bucher TimeMachine in NYC

Quote:
LOL, don't be so ignorance. I create the account to for looking for more info regarding the vintage daytona information before my purchase.

I didn't brame UPS only because UPS is hired by the Bucherer to delivered the high value package. For something like this, it is expected Bucherer ask UPS to request a signature. If this package is signed by a stranger, it should be Bucherer's fault, right?

A belated Welcome to TRF.

If the package was signed for by a stranger (and not by the addressee which would be you) then it would be UPS error.

However, it appears from the tracking info that the package was refused, that is not signed for by a stranger.

Bucherer would only have responsibility (as the shipper) to cooperate in any investigation.

But in this case, there was no loss of the package.

Your post is helpful to other members like you who may be new to watch collecting for the following reasons:

1. Choose your seller wisely and be sure they can communicate well with buyers who wish to avoid taxes.

2. Don't trust shippers like UPS for such a high value item - use FedEx and pay the higher price for on time High Priority Overnight delivery with extra 3rd party shipping insurance.

3. Avoid cutting the timeframe of arrival so close to a time where one would be out of the country for a long time.

Of course many people use the bias of hindsight to be critical - we all learn from mistakes. Your post has helped anyone from making the mistakes the mentioned.

If you had paid the extra NYC and NY sales taxes you would have been posting pictures of the great vintage Daytona.

Now, about the watch and your motives. I fail to see your point about joining TRF to research the watch you wanted to buy.

You never posted a question about the Daytona 16523 reference you purchased. You joined after making the purchase. So how did joining on 5/30 help you make a purchase 26 days earlier at Bucherer on 5/4?

You made the purchase of a watch you had in your hands at Bucherer and now claim the seller didn't know about a dial swap that you claim was of an incorrect era. How could you have known that if you never saw the watch again after leaving the store after the purchase? If you knew it in the store, then don't buy the watch or negotiate a lower price for the aberration.

Back in the day when that Daytona was made Rolex would swap a dial for a customer or an owner might pay a watchmaker to do that. Either way, the new dial was on the watch when you inspected it so you made the purchase. How was the sales associate to know a "fact" that neither they, nor Rolex believed to be inappropriate?

As a new member, please be careful not to cast aspersions against other members - see the rules. If someone challenged your narrative it is because they didn't understand you.

If you find another vintage Daytona, before you buy it post some photos here and ask questions. TRF is a helpful forum but one must learn before the mistake(s) are made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2024, 03:26 PM   #14
Andad

Watch: A few.
I don’t see how your thread can help anyone?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 08:33 AM   #15
leoliang1990
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I don’t see how your thread can help anyone?

Not all the thread in this forum is that helpful.

Just sharing my recent experience, sorry to waste your time. Feel free to ignore my post.
Old 15 June 2024, 04:17 PM   #16
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I would never have a $20,000 watch overnighted to me, right before I was leaving the country. Poor judgement on your part. Of course it went wrong. This was more about you making a poor decision, than Bucherer or UPS.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2024, 02:40 PM   #17
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I would never have a $20,000 watch overnighted to me, right before I was leaving the country. Poor judgement on your part. Of course it went wrong. This was more about you making a poor decision, than Bucherer or UPS.

Kat

Exactly! And not only that, but asking Bucherer to "intercept the package" after OP left the country? WTF

Did OP expect Bucherer to be able to send out a sales associate to drive around town tracking the UPS van? Or have a sales associate drive to OP's house and stand around OP's porch waiting for the UPS van to make the delivery?

It's not just poor decision-making, it's a general lack of common sense on OP's part.
bay_area_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 08:30 AM   #18
leoliang1990
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_area_kid View Post
Exactly! And not only that, but asking Bucherer to "intercept the package" after OP left the country? WTF

Did OP expect Bucherer to be able to send out a sales associate to drive around town tracking the UPS van? Or have a sales associate drive to OP's house and stand around OP's porch waiting for the UPS van to make the delivery?

It's not just poor decision-making, it's a general lack of common sense on OP's part.
You must not reading my post clearly. Bucherer does able to intercept the package because they are the sender. They did that and UPS did recieve the interception.
Old 23 June 2024, 06:49 PM   #19
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You must not reading my post clearly.
Yes, I was able to read your post clearly. I think the main issue here is a language gap. Because what you're saying in English and what you actually mean appear to be different things.

Quote:
Bucherer does able to intercept the package because they are the sender. They did that and UPS did recieve the interception.
Ok, so when you say Bucherer intercepting the package, you actually mean UPS. Then yes, I agree with you.
Old 19 June 2024, 08:29 AM   #20
leoliang1990
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post

Kat

TBH, I regret making this decision. I should hold it and place the order after I'm back. I'm so urgent to place the order because the sale representative promise it could be shipped it to me next day which I think should be more than enough given than I have 5 days left.
Old 16 June 2024, 08:30 AM   #21
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
May 4: I placed an order in-store at Bucherer TimeMachine for a $20,000 Rolex Daytona. I was told it could be delivered to my NJ address the next day.

Was this a new watch? That is really cool they had the watch you wanted the first time you went to the store. Most people are not that lucky.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 08:31 AM   #22
leoliang1990
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post

Was this a new watch? That is really cool they had the watch you wanted the first time you went to the store. Most people are not that lucky.
No, it was a Rolex certified preown watch.
Old 19 June 2024, 12:06 AM   #23
SMD
"TRF" Member

Sorry, this is where you lost me:

"I placed an order in-store at Bucherer TimeMachine for a $20,000 Rolex Daytona. I was told it could be delivered to my NJ address the next day."

Don't believe for a second you walked in and ordered this watch. Whole story is suspect to say the least.
Old 19 June 2024, 12:44 AM   #24
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Don’t feed the trolls. Everyone knows this story is uh well um.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 12:50 AM   #25
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGMT View Post
Don’t feed the trolls. Everyone knows this story is uh well um.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This!!

.nic
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 12:48 AM   #26
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Wow … I’m not sure where to begin. Welcome?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2024, 02:46 AM   #27
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

A one and done post. A drive by armchair posting
Old 19 June 2024, 08:48 AM   #28
leoliang1990
"TRF" Member

Icon19

To answer some of the criticize on my post:

This is not a new watch but a Rolex preown 16523

I walked in to the store but still ask they to ship to my out of state address because that could safe me some tax. I regret making this decision

For those that are curious, the sender (bucherer) can intercept the package. They did and UPS received the interception.

Here's the UPS tracking: 1ZX8W7644295059985

I'm new to watch and this is the first time I purchased such a high value item. If you think I am missing some knowledge or common sense, feel free to raise that. I would humble accept it.
Old 20 June 2024, 11:15 AM   #29
forcinitijp
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M/214270
Quote:
To answer some of the criticize on my post:

This is not a new watch but a Rolex preown 16523

I walked in to the store but still ask they to ship to my out of state address because that could safe me some tax. I regret making this decision

For those that are curious, the sender (bucherer) can intercept the package. They did and UPS received the interception.

I'm new to watch and this is the first time I purchased such a high value item. If you think I am missing some knowledge or common sense, feel free to raise that. I would humble accept it.
The package was refused by the receiver and will be returned to the sender.
View Less
Signature Required

???? What's your story?
«Watches? In those of the ancient world, when they were sunny, there was a phrase inscribed: Omnia vulnerant, ultima necat all the hours hurt, the last kills. That certainty is, ultimately, the secret mechanism that moves the hands of the clock.
forcinitijp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 06:58 PM   #30
bay_area_kid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, Bucherer cannot intercept the package. Only UPS can. Bucherer can make the request but it is up to UPS to reroute. If the rerouting doesn't happen, then it's the responsibility of UPS, not Bucherer.

Quote:
That shows the package was never signed. It was simply returned to the sender.

Quote:
Like others said, don't request any critical deliveries without enough buffer time before you leave the country. Personally, I'd give it about two weeks just to be safe. I've seen express packages where they got delayed for up to two weeks. During the pandemic, I've heard of packages getting delayed for months. And just fairly recently, we had some severe weather in the midwest and Texas. So you'd never know what can actually happen.