The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2006, 09:14 AM   #1
Lol-x
Facilitator

Nice watch, but how do you say that to a stranger?

I went out for a breakfast at an outside local cafe this morning.
I didn't have a watch on as I had been for a bike ride.
To my right was a guy in the company of his wife with a brand new Day-Date (118238).
I thought to say "nice watch" but I feared that everyone including him may have felt I was a little strange. You can't just say that to someone out of the blue.
So I forgot about it and resigned myself to keeping my feelings to myself.
Then just as he was leaving, for some reason I was talking about a completely different subject to a friend about how something was not a good deal or how something was expensive, like the price of seafood at the moment.
I said in a loud voice, "Yeah, just like buying a Rolex, what a rip-off!".
At that point I had sparked the interest of the stranger, maybe in the wrong way, but when he saw the smile on my face and my further explanation that I was an enthusiast, he poudly stated that he had only had his Day-Date for 4 months and was really enjoying it.
Anyway, I told him about my interest and suggested that I could go on but his wife was probably already starting to get bored.
It was a nice impromptu chat, and a great way to start the day.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 09:20 AM   #2
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Unless its on a women, I'd usually refrain from commenting on someone's watch until I get to know the person.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 10:14 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Sounds like it went off well
Old 30 December 2006, 10:43 AM   #4
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
Glad it went ok
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 11:06 AM   #5
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Personally, I don't experience that sort of reservation. I find that mentioning the model, rather than just saying "Nice watch", sends out a clear signal that the watch really is the point of interest.
Old 30 December 2006, 11:10 AM   #6
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
I just comment that it is a nice watch. More times than not though, sadly, it is a fakex. I hate that too. Like the time I saw a pepsi sub, and the guy told me it was real. W/O thinking I called him on it, he fessed up then. I should have just kept my mouth shut.

So far all the Rolexes w/ the exception of that pepsi sub they have all been real. And only one SD has been seen in the wild.

ETA: the ones I've seen at the gun shows that is.
Mitch
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 11:23 AM   #7
Scooby

Watch: GMT
With people I know, I have become more interersted in their watches as I go about my quest for another one. I was admiring a co-worker's watch recently, as it was a Patek-Phillipe, one of the models with the moon phases on it. He saw the impressed look on my face and decided to inform me, in an oddly proud manner, that it was a fake. Now, I wouldn't have known the difference anyway, so it struck me as odd that he did this. And, to top it all off, we both work in a place which is tasked with protecting intellectual property rights!

As to stangers, I tend to just try and sneak peeks. Then again, I'm not much for social interaction with unkowns.
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 11:51 AM   #8
mikey
"TRF" Member

Honestly, I would never approach anyone about the Rolex on there wrist. I would feel strange and develop a phobia if people walked up to me to look at my watch an examine it while on my wrist. I would probably put it on my winder and go about telling time with my A900 everyday. Its like a violation of intellectual space in my opinion.
Old 30 December 2006, 12:08 PM   #9
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Honestly, I would never approach anyone about the Rolex on there wrist. I would feel strange and develop a phobia if people walked up to me to look at my watch an examine it while on my wrist. I would probably put it on my winder and go about telling time with my A900 everyday. Its like a violation of intellectual space in my opinion.
That lifestyle cannot possibly be good for your blood pressure, mikey.
Old 30 December 2006, 12:43 PM   #10
Dylan1471

Watch: S/S Sub of course!
I've noticed that people who know watches and especially the Rolex brand tend to stare at your wrist a lot longer than someone who is not an aficonado. I personally take it as a compliment if someone makes a comment about my S/S Sub as long as he or she is not pointing a handgun at me and asking me to take it off
Dylan1471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 12:29 PM   #11
mikey
"TRF" Member

Sorry, I been waiting for my Bond Nato since the 21st and no show. I bet my Nato on my DJ would get some looks and stares LOL
Old 30 December 2006, 12:34 PM   #12
Lol-x
Facilitator

I approached it by making a controversial statement about Rolex to my friend, but with sufficient loudness so that the guy with the Day-Date could hear, basically by making a statement to my friend I engaged the third party, and in a light hearted way.
P.S. I told the guy with the Day-Date about this site and he said he would have a look at it, so it would be really funny if he came up to say hello. :)
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 12:41 PM   #13
ezmoney46

Watch: several
I have no problem on complimenting someone on thier watch. I've done it many times and most all have had a positive response. But then again I live in the south U.S. and most all people are friendly or open to any stranger with even a "Good Morning" or just a "Hello" when passing another on a sidewalk or in the grocery store. I guess it just comes easy to me as I'm in professional sales.

Steve
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 12:45 PM   #14
mikey
"TRF" Member

Cool, it would be cool to see some more Day Date owners on this site
Old 30 December 2006, 01:47 PM   #15
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I have complimented people on their choice of watches. They know what they are wearing, and I think they appreciate the fact that someone else knows also......

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 02:25 PM   #16
Blue Bull
Banned

The DD...what an amazing watch in gold ... I dont care what anybody says but a DD,in YG with diamonds ,is a beauty ... !! Not that fond of the sport watches in YG with diamonds,though ...

I compliment everybody and everybody I see with a Rolex.Very simple .... "Hey,nice watch ... !! with a big smile The response is nearly always, possitive .If its not,well,so be it ...

Luckily,I have never encountered someone with a fake ,or one that was willing to admit it.Perhaps,they could see "Death" in my eyes .. I hate anything fake with a passion !! Just tells me too much about their character ..
Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 02:45 PM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hey Steve,

Great story!! You know something? That DD (except for the Day bit) looks absolutely identical to Zemina's ex TT DJ....here's a pic!! Uncanny, uh?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2006, 03:18 PM   #18
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
I was at chucky cheese with my wife and son celebrating a friend's kid bday. As I was chasing my son all over the place, I noticed this gentleman wearing oddly similar to a Panerai.

I wanted to find out what he was wearing but did thought it may be odd out of the blue so we chatted about our kids first ie. how old is your son.. blah blah, then found the opportunity to ask about his watch.
Old 2 January 2007, 11:54 PM   #19
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
The DD...what an amazing watch in gold ... I dont care what anybody says but a DD,in YG with diamonds ,is a beauty ... !! Not that fond of the sport watches in YG with diamonds,though ...
How does this one grab you, Chris?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2007, 12:13 AM   #20
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
How does this one grab you, Chris?

It grabs tight ...
Old 30 December 2006, 01:46 PM   #21
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
On flying back to Qatar, I had a hot looking female flight attendant ask me if my watch was an expensive Omega. I replied " No, Roolex".

LOL
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2006, 04:27 AM   #22
mikey
"TRF" Member

If I am at a restaurant with my date, and its summertime then I am sure it gets noticed with the brilliant shine from the SS. Otherwise, I am wearing longsleeves a winter coat and noone sees my watch because of the winter season. I just think owning a Rolex is private. I don't want to get bashed by what others negative thoughts may be, so I never bring it up. I open up to you guys because I am in the right place.
Old 1 January 2007, 09:48 AM   #23
amanda
Banned

I was at lunch with former coleagues, at Taco Bills just before Christmas (classy restaurant NOT but fun nevertheless) my friend has a no-date Sub a hand me down from his late Father. The guy that served us (owns TB actually) was wearing a Sub Date.... it's not often that I see two Subs at the same time in Melbourne (maybe its the company I keep ) I thought about mentioning it but knew instantly that my dinner table of guests would have growned loudly in despair so I decided to not put them through it and just sneak occasional peeks at the Sub Date
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 12:03 PM   #24
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
I was at lunch with former coleagues, at Taco Bills just before Christmas (classy restaurant NOT but fun nevertheless) my friend has a no-date Sub a hand me down from his late Father. The guy that served us (owns TB actually) was wearing a Sub Date.... it's not often that I see two Subs at the same time in Melbourne (maybe its the company I keep ) I thought about mentioning it but knew instantly that my dinner table of guests would have growned loudly in despair so I decided to not put them through it and just sneak occasional peeks at the Sub Date
"Dinner table of guests would have growned in despair" Why ... ??
Old 2 January 2007, 06:51 AM   #25
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bull View Post
"Dinner table of guests would have growned in despair" Why ... ??
Because I'd be crapping on about boring watches in front of them again!
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 06:57 AM   #26
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
Because I'd be crapping on about boring watches in front of them again!
I know how you feel. I brought home the newest brietling & tag catalogs the other day & left them on the coffee table. The responses ranged from "Oh no... I knew it was going to be something with watches..." to "what? but how many watches do you own?"
Old 1 January 2007, 08:08 PM   #27
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
I usually mention the type of watch, rather than saying just "nice watch..."

By and large, people are receptive and smile...

(could be that it's with some relief that I'm not asking them to hand it over, haha. I know I look thuggy... but it's just my mode of dress)

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2007, 08:31 PM   #28
Otis
"TRF" Member

Happened to me a few times recently. I normally just approach them and say something like "hey, sorry I couldn't help but notice, is that the new GMT in gold? Very nice!". The guy wearing said watch was very receptive and we had a bit of a chat.

The other night I saw a younger guy wearing a bond SMP, to which I said "nice watch, I've got one of them too!"
He looked a bit sheepish, didn't really look at me and said "oh this one? it's an old one".

Each to their own I guess.... but it doesn't bother me. If I feel it's appropriate to comment on it I will.
Old 2 January 2007, 06:57 PM   #29
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I was in the grocery store early yesterday (1/1/07) morning when I see a guy that looks like he has a pie plate strapped to his wrist. I said "Hey, is that a Paneri?" without even thinking about it. He says "Yes, I bought it in Atlanta" to which I respond, "Nice Watch!" I think the guy was a little embarrassed, but in no way disturbed, and I guess I was a little embarrassed as well. But, I don't think it is a big deal, it was a nice watch, I like watches, and obviously, so did this guy.

I don't put it in the same category as saying to some guy, "Hey, nice pants!"
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2007, 10:55 PM   #30
Otis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I don't put it in the same category as saying to some guy, "Hey, nice pants!"

That's a rather astute observation. It's a little less intimidating I think, than commenting on someone's pantswear.

Oh ok... I just wanted to say 'pantswear'