The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 February 2010, 11:47 PM   #1
DDG

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Military discount?

My son and wife are both winged Navy Commanders stationed in Oahu. We go out there to visit two or three times a year. We spend a lot of time on base, and touring the island. We see a lot of Navy personel when we go out there. I am completely amazed at the number of military guys, officers and enlisted, both Navy and Marine, wearing Rolex watches. Surely there must be a discount for these fellas someplace in the world ? My son wears a TT serti dial Sub, but it was a gift from his Mother-in-law.
Old 13 February 2010, 12:04 AM   #2
lolo96706
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV - V
I'm in the military also, but I have yet to see a military discount for Rolex at an AD. I just wish I started buying them when I first got in and AAFES was selling them.
Old 13 February 2010, 01:50 AM   #3
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
A while back, I saw a few Rolex at the PX. I'm sure most sailors got their Rollies in Hong Kong.
Old 13 February 2010, 02:13 AM   #4
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Nato

A few NATO bases used to have places where Rolexes could be bought, there where even their own country codes

902 AAFES Germany
906 NATEX Retail, NATO Airbase
907 Rheindhalen , German NATO headquarters

I believe they were at least Duty free.

Jack
Old 13 February 2010, 04:23 AM   #5
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
They're just popular among military, but no discount. Also, lots of folks are flush with cash from deployments--tax free and no expenses, plus you work your a$$ off for 6-12 months without break and want to treat yourself when you get back.

That's how I got my first one. The rest was response to addiction.

I'm moving to Oahu in July with the Army. Aloha!

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
Old 13 February 2010, 05:09 AM   #6
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DateJust 16013
Oh, military guys are a very resourceful bunch. It's been a long time since I served, but I imagine when overseas, some sweet deals can be found.

Old 13 February 2010, 05:17 AM   #7
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
They're just popular among military, but no discount. Also, lots of folks are flush with cash from deployments--tax free and no expenses, plus you work your a$$ off for 6-12 months without break and want to treat yourself when you get back.

That's how I got my first one. The rest was response to addiction.

I'm moving to Oahu in July with the Army. Aloha!
Good points. I wish Rolex was more on my radar when I was in the army in the 80's. I'd love to have grabbed a GMT or something when I was stationed in Germany.
Old 13 February 2010, 05:15 AM   #8
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
I've purchased several watches from military guys. They go out shopping when they are stationed out in the middle of a new country. They get extra cash, and don't claim anything. They do really good. Rolex, Breitling, Fortis, and other high end watches are big sellers abroad. Not the fakes either. They buy watches to use in serious situations. No time for a bunk knock-off
Old 13 February 2010, 05:25 AM   #9
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

While stationed at DaNang RVN '67-'68 the smart guys were picking up Rolexes at the Exchange very reasonably for themselves, family members and friends. Unfortunately, I failed to see the value of anything other than beer and a good time. I'm guessing good deals can still be found by the military guys and gals.
Old 13 February 2010, 05:52 AM   #10
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DateJust 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersnyder View Post
While stationed at DaNang RVN '67-'68 the smart guys were picking up Rolexes at the Exchange very reasonably for themselves, family members and friends. Unfortunately, I failed to see the value of anything other than beer and a good time. I'm guessing good deals can still be found by the military guys and gals.
Oh yeah, I hear ya . . . welcome home bro.

Old 13 February 2010, 06:07 AM   #11
ersnyder
2024 Pledge Member

You too Wayne!
Old 13 February 2010, 06:25 AM   #12
Earl Camembert
Banned

The PX has discounts on Omega. All brand new with warranty.
Omega Mens Seamaster James Bond 007 Professional 300M Co-Axial Date Watch; $2,459 no tax as states can not tax the federal government.
Old 13 February 2010, 07:20 AM   #13
Texas1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
We are into to the best tools for the job! I had the 1988 AAFES catalog dog-eared on the Rolex page. Sadly, at a buck sergeant's pay I could not afford to pay for the Sub Date priced at ....... $1,050.... and no tax ......
Old 13 February 2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
I have always heard from my military buddies that Rolexes are still available from the PX, but you must ask someone that really knows what they are talking about. They are not generally available, but maybe they can order them? Anyways, supposedly........it is still with a hefty discount.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 13 February 2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
I have always heard from my military buddies that Rolexes are still available from the PX, but you must ask someone that really knows what they are talking about. They are not generally available, but maybe they can order them? Anyways, supposedly........it is still with a hefty discount.
What't the secret hand shake?
Old 13 February 2010, 08:08 AM   #16
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Camembert View Post
What't the secret hand shake?
I wish I knew. We need one of our military boys to really get to the bottom of this topic and find out what is true, and what is not. Supposedly, if you talk to the manager of one of the larger PXs they still have Rolex available with a 30% discount.

That is just what I have heard, but it is unsubstantiated.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Old 13 February 2010, 07:36 AM   #17
Skyblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: YG GMT II grn dial
Country Codes for NATO

902 and 906 for NATO Air Base
907 for NATO HQ

I bought my 1675 Rolex GMT Master pepsi for $135 at the PX in Japan.

Of course, that was 1965.
TT GMT II SS/YG
YG Day Date II White Dial/Roman
Maybe a vintage after I learn more
Old 13 February 2010, 08:13 AM   #18
thunderyacht
"TRF" Member

Think about it. Military maneuvers are precisely orchestrated actions based on precise timing to make it all come together; especially when the exercise is "purple" (not saying it always works out). Would you want your 3 stripes on the line 'cause your Mickey Mouse watch was wrong? Not me thank you. BTW, thank your son and your wife for their service to our country for me
Old 13 February 2010, 08:24 AM   #19
Earl Camembert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderyacht View Post
Think about it. Military maneuvers are precisely orchestrated actions based on precise timing to make it all come together; especially when the exercise is "purple" (not saying it always works out). Would you want your 3 stripes on the line 'cause your Mickey Mouse watch was wrong? Not me thank you. BTW, thank your son and your wife for their service to our country for me
I don't remember what the pay grade or MOS is to be issued a watch but enlisted personal only need what they are issued. I believe astronauts are issued a watch.
Old 13 February 2010, 08:30 AM   #20
thunderyacht
"TRF" Member

Never suggested they were issued anything. Police officers are "issued" hand guns too, but a lot purchase their own rather than use the standard issue. just suggesting that if I were a Commander in the US Navy, or any Line Officer for that matter, I'd want the best I could reasonably afford.
Old 13 February 2010, 09:09 AM   #21
DDG

Quote:
That's thoughtful. Thanks, I will. They've paid some dues.
Old 13 February 2010, 08:36 AM   #22
rob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SS only
I didn't see them through AAFES after the early 90's. I know in the AF (pararescue) the watch to get was the pepsi GMT, but I wore a seiko 6309-7040. I was to cheap Tobit one then (stupid), so I have a GMT II-C now.
Old 13 February 2010, 08:39 AM   #23
CPTL
"TRF" Member

If you want to be on time, the "best you can reasonably afford" is usually a Suunto. That's what they "issue" to the SF guys, and they're a heckuva lot more accurate than Rolex.

All the ops are synchronized on secure digital communications networks. The only reason you need a watch is to be on time to PT or a staff meeting.

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
Old 13 February 2010, 04:26 PM   #24
thunderyacht
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTL View Post
If you want to be on time, the "best you can reasonably afford" is usually a Suunto. That's what they "issue" to the SF guys, and they're a heckuva lot more accurate than Rolex.

All the ops are synchronized on secure digital communications networks. The only reason you need a watch is to be on time to PT or a staff meeting.
No, the only reason YOU need a watch is to be on time to PT or a staff meeting. You probably pulled your card out for a "recruit time out" in Basic too. SF, you wish. Let's just leave it at, everyone who served, regardless of rank and branch, deserves a fine time piece like a Rolex. I've seen a lot of Rolexes at the "five sided building" in the MDoW.
Old 13 February 2010, 11:22 PM   #25
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, the only reason YOU need a watch is to be on time to PT or a staff meeting. You probably pulled your card out for a "recruit time out" in Basic too. SF, you wish. Let's just leave it at, everyone who served, regardless of rank and branch, deserves a fine time piece like a Rolex. I've seen a lot of Rolexes at the "five sided building" in the MDoW.

Either you're misinformed, or angry about something. Either way, this post is

Old 14 August 2018, 09:14 PM   #26
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why so defensive?

Old 13 February 2010, 08:58 AM   #27
rob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SS only
I didn't see them through AAFES after the early 90's. I know in the AF (pararescue) the watch to get was the pepsi GMT, but I wore a seiko 6309-7040. I was to cheap Tobit one then (stupid), so I have a GMT II-C now.
Old 13 February 2010, 08:59 AM   #28
ESKO

Watch: 2012 Milgauss GV
In my short 6 years in the USAF, I never once saw a Rolex in a BX/AAFES store.
I was not a Rolex owner, nor was I a member of this forum, but I never had a chance to see one for sale, and I knew some officers who were always throwing around money, as they already came from wealthy families!
Old 13 February 2010, 09:07 AM   #29
Otto
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG View Post
My son and wife are both winged Navy Commanders stationed in Oahu. We go out there to visit two or three times a year. We spend a lot of time on base, and touring the island. We see a lot of Navy personel when we go out there. I am completely amazed at the number of military guys, officers and enlisted, both Navy and Marine, wearing Rolex watches. Surely there must be a discount for these fellas someplace in the world ? My son wears a TT serti dial Sub, but it was a gift from his Mother-in-law.
For many, many years Rolex watches were available overseas through the PX and Navy Exchange; but in the early 2000's, Rolex terminated its relationship with the exchanges. I know this because I bought a SS PT YM through the Navy Exchange. I special ordered it when it came out, and three months later it arrived. At that time, the going price for the hottest new watch (and it was the hottest) in Tokyo was approximately $12K US; beyond my reach at the time. I got my YM duty free through the Exchange for well under MSRP. (It was my first Rolex purchase through the Exchange. In my military days I was more of an audiophile guy than a WIS. ) Anyway, I ordered my wife the ladies version while I was waiting for my watch, and at the same time an Army Colonel I knew ordered a white dial SS Daytona as a retirement gift to himself and as his first Rolex. (He was also buying a Harley!) Suddenly, we both received notice the orders were canceled due to the termination of the relationship between the Exchange services and Rolex. My Colonel friend ended up buying a Zenith El Primero (white dial) in Singapore. He was fed up with Rolex after the order was cancelled.

I asked the Exchange Manager about this and he said Rolex had decided it would no longer sell its watches in retail settings where other non-jewelry items (clothes, etc.) were sold; and thus terminated its relationship with the Exchange services. Rumor had it though that the Exchange service was a slow payer! In any event, about the same time, Rolex disappeared from the duty free stores in the airports over here; though apparently they are still available in other duty free stores. Other exchange employees said Patrick Heiniger really didn't like the military and that was the root cause of the break. Who knows? But the end result was that a longstanding relationship was broken.

It once was relatively easy for a military man or woman to buy a Rolex watch overseas, and as a result, many who perhaps would not have purchased such a watch did so. The end of the Exchange Services selling Rolex watches was kind of a deal breaker for many, and today with the weakened dollar, it's even more of a deal breaker for military personnel overseas, especially junior personnel, when it comes to spending money for a Rolex watch.

It's kind of a bummer from a tradition standpoint as certain watches were mainstays and symbols in certain military communities; e.g., submariners and GMTs. The presence of Rolex watches in the Exchange Services stores was a symbol of a strong relationship (e.g., Yeager) between Rolex and military tradition; or so some of us thought.
Old 13 February 2010, 11:33 AM   #30
OrchidDR
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMT II
When I was a young Seaman Duece (E2) in 1976 we pulled into Yokosuka Japan and I remember seeing the Rolexes behind the glass. On E2 pay, there was NO WAY I could afford it and blew what little money I had outside the main gate in "Thieves Alley".

In 1979 I returned as a Second Class Petty Officer (E5) I only had eyes for the spanking brand new Sansui "state of the art" stereo.

Alas, what I should have done instead of what I DID! Grinning.

For those that have served, "I Thank You" for your honorable service.

I retired with 24 years, 7 months, 29 days, but who is counting!!!