The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Would you be upset ?

If you were on a SS Daytona list and some customer comes in and offers cash and circumvents the whole thing. Imagine that you are # 1 on the list and somebody comes in ( not mentioning any names) and scoops up your SS Daytona by calling around , finding one and then rushing down there with a fistfull of cash.

This happened to me at my old AD. I was " # 1" on the list and two SS Daytonas went out the side door without me being notified. A former employee of the AD that I ran into at my gym told me the good news. Something to the effect " Gaijin, there have been 2 SS Daytonas come and gone since you were told that you were next on the list."

I went straight to the owner and we had a heart to heart. I told him I knew what he had done and that me and the $150,000 worth of business that his store had generated through my purchases and referalls would be directed to another AD if I did not have a SS Daytona in 30 days.

I had one 1 week later.

What good is a list if somebody comes in and hijacks it? Yes I know you have to blame the AD as well. However I think it is wrong to call around and slide in taking a SS Daytona from someone who may have been waiting patiently for a year or more.

Rant off.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Yazo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
It is....what it is man. Sorry for your troubles.
Yazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 03:27 PM   #3
galloman
"TRF" Member

it's the AD's fault. It is deceiving of them to rise up your hopes by consenting to follow a list that is nonexistent.

It is incumbent upon the dealer to secure that this list is honored. It is not the customer's responsibility to inquire whether they allocate their Daytonas in any particular order.

Even if the customer were to nag about circumventing said list, it prevails the dealer's responsibility to keep his word.
galloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Wildwing
"TRF" Member

Reminds me of the old saying: No man's credit is as good as his money.
Wildwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 03:46 PM   #5
ParisDakarBmw
Banned

Watch: 116610 Sub-C
What's the point of a list if they don't use it?
ParisDakarBmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 04:09 PM   #6
Clogger

Watch: SS Sub Date
Gaijin, yes I would be pissed.

However I think all the blame is on the AD, They should have contacted you as soon as a Daytona entered the store.

The fact they did it twice sucks even further, I don't hold anything against the people that bought the watch, in my eyes they did nothing wrong really.

These lists seem a complete waste of time in most cases.

Glad you now got your Daytona.
Clogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 04:17 PM   #7
hhh007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clogger View Post
Gaijin, yes I would be pissed.

However I think all the blame is on the AD, They should have contacted you as soon as a Daytona entered the store.

The fact they did it twice sucks even further, I don't hold anything against the people that bought the watch, in my eyes they did nothing wrong really.

These lists seem a complete waste of time in most cases.

Glad you now got your Daytona.

Exactly! In addition, it's interesting that the former employee thought so little of his former employer as to freely give you that info. I'm also pretty sure that Rolex would like to know about how this "AD" is treating his clients in an honest and ethical manner!
hhh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 04:27 PM   #8
wanasub
"TRF" Member

The man seeking out the Daytona and paying with cash was merely clever and resourceful. The unethical actions were ALL on the ad's side. That aside, congratulations on brilliant timepiece!!! Enjoy it.
wanasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I think the AD has more to answer for than the two people who bought the watches ahead of you. Anyway, all's well than ends well - congrats on getting the watch you wanted and enjoy!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 04:16 PM   #10
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post

Exactly.

I guess I am directing this at people who know that there is a list and then cut in line. Would piss you off at a train station and would really piss you off when waiting for your grail Daytona to come it.
Old 10 March 2010, 09:17 PM   #11
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDakarBmw View Post
indeed
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 10:04 PM   #12
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Sounds like the buyer offered him a premium price for the watch.
Old 10 March 2010, 10:51 PM   #13
Strut99GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nko51 View Post
Sounds like the buyer offered him a premium price for the watch.
Even if that's the case the OP should have been given a call to buy the watch at that premium price first. He was first in line.
Strut99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Watchman1957
Banned

Watch: 201/A 202/A PreA9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
If you were on a SS Daytona list and some customer comes in and offers cash and circumvents the whole thing. Imagine that you are # 1 on the list and somebody comes in ( not mentioning any names) and scoops up your SS Daytona by calling around , finding one and then rushing down there with a fistfull of cash.

This happened to me at my old AD. I was " # 1" on the list and two SS Daytonas went out the side door without me being notified. A former employee of the AD that I ran into at my gym told me the good news. Something to the effect " Gaijin, there have been 2 SS Daytonas come and gone since you were told that you were next on the list."

I went straight to the owner and we had a heart to heart. I told him I knew what he had done and that me and the $150,000 worth of business that his store had generated through my purchases and referalls would be directed to another AD if I did not have a SS Daytona in 30 days.

I had one 1 week later.

What good is a list if somebody comes in and hijacks it? Yes I know you have to blame the AD as well. However I think it is wrong to call around and slide in taking a SS Daytona from someone who may have been waiting patiently for a year or more.

Rant off.

You gave the guy 30 days? That is 28 days more than I would have given them. I would never spend my hard earned cash anywhere it was not appreciated.
Watchman1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 04:32 PM   #15
layne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
However I think it is wrong to call around and slide in taking a SS Daytona from someone who may have been waiting patiently for a year or more.
I agree that the AD did wrong in letting 2 Daytonas go elsewhere after letting you know you were sitting at No.1.
I totally disagree with the statement that it is wrong for someone to call around asking for it and offer cash. If anybody's integrity is to be questioned in this scenario it is that of the AD.
layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 07:46 PM   #16
limenko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by layne View Post
I agree that the AD did wrong in letting 2 Daytonas go elsewhere after letting you know you were sitting at No.1.
I totally disagree with the statement that it is wrong for someone to call around asking for it and offer cash. If anybody's integrity is to be questioned in this scenario it is that of the AD.
X2 Completely agree with this statement, nothing wrong with people hunting...unscrupulous ADs not honouring the list that they created on the other hand...
limenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 07:57 PM   #17
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Yeah

I think it was no OK from the AD..., but in harsh times a quick $20000 on the cash register with a 30/35% profit could be the rent or a few employees salary.

I don't think it is OK but it's understandeble because a lot of the waiting list people won't come and buy.

I think he did a good job getting it for you in 30 days.

Jack
Jackxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 09:14 PM   #18
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackxv View Post
I think it was no OK from the AD..., but in harsh times a quick $20000 on the cash register with a 30/35% profit could be the rent or a few employees salary.

I don't think it is OK but it's understandeble because a lot of the waiting list people won't come and buy.

I think he did a good job getting it for you in 30 days.

Jack

Ok. I agree. I get it. But if someone is #1 on the list why not give them a call and let them know giving them a chance to yea or nay it. Even if someone comes in and offers to buy it. Give your loyal customer a shot before selling it. If the customer balks then maybe. I never got that chance because two slid out the door.
Old 10 March 2010, 04:41 PM   #19
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

Times are r tough and your ad just wanted to make a quick buck and hoped no one would find out. Why buy at your ad when the prices here are even better!
Old 10 March 2010, 05:04 PM   #20
Gaijin

This happened to me a few years ago when SS Daytonas were very hard to get from an AD. They still are somewhat hard to get... I now have two SS Daytonas. One modern White and one Zenith Black.

I see it happening in stories here as well and it kinda fries me that some people who are WIS would sneak in on one another.

This does not let the AD off the hook by any means.
Old 10 March 2010, 05:20 PM   #21
jdrolltide3838

Watch: SS Daytona
was it a forum member?
jdrolltide3838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 08:04 PM   #22
CorruptedSanity

Watch: AP
Why would your AD not sell it to you?
Let's assume he got it in today,he calls you, you come in tomorrow or the day after and pay.
That's a guaranteed sale. Maybe he doubted you would buy/pay for it and thus chose to sell it to someone else?

I've been "that guy" many times. Ill do the same thing but will usually suggest the shop call the person who its on hold for first.
If an item is "on hold" its likely that the person doesn't want it,otherwise it would not be on hold right?
CorruptedSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 09:18 PM   #23
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
Why would your AD not sell it to you?
Let's assume he got it in today,he calls you, you come in tomorrow or the day after and pay.
That's a guaranteed sale. Maybe he doubted you would buy/pay for it and thus chose to sell it to someone else?

I've been "that guy" many times. Ill do the same thing but will usually suggest the shop call the person who its on hold for first.
If an item is "on hold" its likely that the person doesn't want it,otherwise it would not be on hold right?
As much as I asked about it and dropped money there, they had no doubt I wanted it and had the money to buy it.

It is great of you to suggest that the AD call their next cutomer first. You are a good man.
Old 11 March 2010, 12:20 PM   #24
JMIND
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 M Series
Quote:
As much as I asked about it and dropped money there, they had no doubt I wanted it and had the money to buy it.

It is great of you to suggest that the AD call their next cutomer first. You are a good man.
They were simply wrong to treat you that way. You should consider finding another who appreciates your business and you as a person.
JMIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 09:47 PM   #25
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
A lot of the SS Daytonas go out the back door to friends of AD's. IT is what it is--You got one at least--so Congrats!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 10:02 PM   #26
OTE200
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 Explorer
I'm curious as to whether the AD had to go and jump some other waiting list to get you your Daytona??
OTE200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 10:43 PM   #27
rolexsubdate
Banned

The only rule is: Money talks .... Show me the money ....
buyers on a list backout all the time ... nothing is certain except when a guy walks in with a bag full of cash ... he is putting his money where his mouth is ....he is telling you how serious he is by showing you that pot of $$ or by smacking the AD on the head with that pot of $$ ....those who do not do that are a fantasy ... a promise that means nothing....words mean nothing ....
rolexsubdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 10:45 PM   #28
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
You figured out a better way to get what you wanted!
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2010, 10:56 PM   #29
brainbizz

SS Daytonas have always typically gone to the ADs best customers thats life. If that is what happened it sucks but that is the game like it or not. It makes absolutely no sense that they would sell one to someone just bc they had cash. The list comes into play if none of the VIPs want the watch typically. I think there is more to it than someone just showing up w cash.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2010, 12:13 AM   #30
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

When this happened to me, the excuse was well he is the owners Nephew! I would bet this is going on all the time just to few finding out about it. Congratulations on your new purchase.
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote