The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 February 2007, 02:21 PM   #1
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Rolex ring inside new watches

I love the ROLEXROLEXROLEX inside my TT GMTIIA dial. But while looking for the crown logo on the glass I noticed that at that position it did not say ROLEX but rather it had the serial number of the watch! How cool is that! I just never noticed it before. I bet I am the last to know.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
I love the ROLEXROLEXROLEX inside my TT GMTIIA dial. But while looking for the crown logo on the glass I noticed that at that position it did not say ROLEX but rather it had the serial number of the watch! How cool is that! I just never noticed it before. I bet I am the last to know.
Yes, I knew about the serial number now being etched on the chapter ring at 6 o'clock....but it would be interesting to know whether the same serial number is still being inscribed on the case between the lugs at '6'!!

BTW, the laser etching should also be there on the crystal at '6'.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 02:29 PM   #3
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
am I the only one that dislikes this feature?
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 02:30 PM   #4
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo View Post
Hey Ken,

Does the new DJ have the serial number inscribed on the chapter ring?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 4 February 2007, 06:56 PM   #5
TexasRolex

Quote:
I, for one, am with you on this one. Serial number is ok but having a ring or "ROLEX" written all over just screams:

"HEY LOOK AT ME! I AM A ROLEX!"
TexasRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I used to not like the RRR chapter ring. Now I have two DJs with it.

I really do not mind it that much, in fact it has grown on me. You can not notice it unless you take photos that are many times actual size.

If given the choice of buying a future watch with it or without it, I would elect to have it. Very different from my first impression of it when it first came out.

But when the LV first came out, I did not like it either, but over time, if the right opportunity would to come up, I'd jump at the chance to add a LV to the collection.

The RRR chapter ring for me is not a deal-breaker. All the other upgrades on the new DJ are wonderful.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 07:29 PM   #7
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
I used to not like the RRR chapter ring. Now I have two DJs with it.

I really do not mind it that much, in fact it has grown on me. You can not notice it unless you take photos that are many times actual size.

If given the choice of buying a future watch with it or without it, I would elect to have it. Very different from my first impression of it when it first came out.

But when the LV first came out, I did not like it either, but over time, if the right opportunity would to come up, I'd jump at the chance to add a LV to the collection.

The RRR chapter ring for me is not a deal-breaker. All the other upgrades on the new DJ are wonderful.
As I have not seen it "in person" I guess I shouldn't judge it as harshly as I do... If it's not that obvious when viewing the watch, I guess it's ok by me. I remember when I first heard Rolex was going to use a crown etching at 6 o'clock on the crystal... I thought it'd be a distraction (but now that I have a few watches with it, I realize it's virtually invisible).

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
I'm glad you like your new watch... Wear it in good health!

Wear 'em with PRIDE, y'all.
tonelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 08:32 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
No myself think its quite tacky and not needed,but in favour of the serial/model on chapter ring.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 02:33 PM   #9
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Mine doesn't, not sure about the newer ones thats coming out.
Old 4 February 2007, 02:34 PM   #10
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Mine doesn't, not sure about the newer ones thats coming out.
Hmmmm....not sure, but I think this new style of inscribing the serial number is restricted to the new GMT-II as well as some Daytonas and maybe the new TOGs too?

Old 4 February 2007, 02:35 PM   #11
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
Mine doesn't either. Unless it is as hard to see as the coronet on the crystal.
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 02:36 PM   #12
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
Not hard to see. If the number is there on the chapter ring, you can easily see it with the naked eye.

JJ

Old 4 February 2007, 02:38 PM   #13
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnau View Post
If its hard to see, I wouldn't mind. Its really noticeable, something about the serial number being visible makes me feel like I am buying the number too.

I guess what I meant is that if my serial number is visible by looking at the sidewall of the watch, I am superstitious enough to be willing to pay extra to get the serial number I want, that or just don't let me see it.
Old 4 February 2007, 02:40 PM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
If its hard to see, I wouldn't mind. Its really noticeable, something about the serial number being visible makes me feel like I am buying the number too.

I guess what I meant is that if my serial number is visible by looking at the sidewall of the watch, I am superstitious enough to be willing to pay extra to get the serial number I want, that or just don't let me see it.
You believe in numerology too, uh Ken? Would you be pleased if I told you that the total of my Z-series serial number on the my new TT Blue Sub totals up to 35....so 3 + 5 = 8. And I know that you Chinese love the number 8!!

Old 4 February 2007, 03:01 PM   #15
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
You believe in numerology too, uh Ken? Would you be pleased if I told you that the total of my Z-series serial number on the my new TT Blue Sub totals up to 35....so 3 + 5 = 8. And I know that you Chinese love the number 8!!
Not so much as the traditional sense.

Think of it this way, instead of some 476236 number, I want something thats maybe like 123456 or 112233 or 111111, patterned, sequential style.

Just some personal obsession with order.
Old 4 February 2007, 08:56 PM   #16
Flyjet601
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post

When I bought my Z SD in Dec. I had a choice of 2 SD's. But the saleman told me to pick the one I ultimately bought because it has a few 8's and 9's in the S/N. Very good luck apparently in Chinese. (I am still alive so I guess it works )

Flyjet601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 11:58 PM   #17
SeaGoer

Watch: TT YM, TT GMT IIC
I kind of like it having the serial number at plain view. It makes checking the watch against the paper work easier.
SeaGoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 02:54 PM   #18
Thurnau
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust
Ok, no serial numbers on the chapter ring of my 2 DJ's However I finally found the etching on both in the crystal today
I used the trick someone posted a few days ago. But the way I did it was:
Turn the lights in the room off. Turn on the flashlight. Angle the light over the crystal, then angle the watch starting to look at the edge, then slowly tilt it towards you so you see more of the face. It looks like smudge at first, then if your watch was very clean when you start, then my smudge was in the shape of a perfect, but light coronet shaped smudge

To bring the topic back, I like the rolex engraving inside the chapter ring. I also would like to know the serial # of my watch without removing a bracelet. I also understand how it cheeses out the watch and turns it into a billboard, and I respect that they should keep it simple and classy too.
Thurnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 04:02 PM   #19
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
Why doesn't my LV have that? Anyone know why not?
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 04:04 PM   #20
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Why doesn't my LV have that? Anyone know why not?
None of the Subs have it. Rolex have decided to inscribe the Rolex, Rolex on the chapter ring of the new DJs, TOGs and the new GMT-II for starters. I think the WG Daytona has it too, but not very sure.

JJ

Old 4 February 2007, 04:04 PM   #21
A. Jacobs
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date 16610
Does anyone know if all Rolex watches will have this feature in the near future?

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."
A. Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 04:34 PM   #22
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
one hardly ever notice the engraving......it's pretty subtle......more obvious in pictures than when on the wrist.... :)

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 05:48 PM   #23
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins View Post
one hardly ever notice the engraving......it's pretty subtle......more obvious in pictures than when on the wrist.... :)
I sincerely hope so... I can honestly say that I don't like it...

Quote:
Not even a little.

Old 4 February 2007, 06:45 PM   #24
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonelar View Post
I sincerely hope so... I can honestly say that I don't like it...

Not even a little.
haha so be it....

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2007, 05:32 PM   #25
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
MY DJ has the serial engraved in the ROLEXROLEX ring. It's quite pretty.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 12:43 AM   #26
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
Yes, I think that is really nice looking engraving inside the wall of the bezel.

.......................--::**::--..Rolex Forever..--::**::--.........................
...............I KNEEL IN THE LONG SHADOW OF YOUR GREATNESS.............
nko51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 02:26 AM   #27
mikey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oysterdate 6694
cool
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 04:20 AM   #28
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Having recently viewed one at my AD, I was dismayed to see this new 'feature'. Having ROLEX displayed multiple times on the watch just rubbed me the wrong way. Gratuitous advertising were my first thoughts. Having Rolex and the coronet on the dial just ONCE is enough for me. Let the watch speak for itself. One of the qualities I've always enjoyed about Rolex is its understated elegance. Sometimes there's more content in what's not said.

As for the serial number, having it viewable without removing the bracelet is probably not a bad thing. Putting it under glass is not so bad an idea either. If stolen, it makes it tough to remove/alter yet available for police to trace it.

As far as the new engraving being subtle, I noticed it right away and it didn't bring a smile to my face. As usual, JMHO...

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...

Last edited by Incurable; 5 February 2007 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: Spelling Nazi
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2007, 06:47 PM   #29
tonelar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
Having recently viewed one at my AD, I was dismayed to see this new 'feature'. Having ROLEX displayed multiple times on the watch just rubbed me the wrong way. Gratuitous advertising were my first thoughts. Having Rolex and the coronet on the dial just ONCE is enough for me. Let the watch speak for itself. One of the qualities I've always enjoyed about Rolex is its understated elegance. Sometimes there's more content in what's not said.

As for the serial number, having it viewable without removing the bracelet is probably not a bad thing. Putting it under glass is not so bad an idea either. If stolen, it makes it tough to remove/alter yet available for police to trace it.

As far as the new engraving being subtle, I noticed it right away and it didn't bring a smile to my face. As usual, JMHO...
Oh... I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the wrist candy when I'm next at my dealer. If it's apparent in person, then I'm against it as well.

Just makes it look like a replica... Or worst yet, like the wearer is doing so to impress others...

Old 6 February 2007, 01:12 AM   #30
diablojota
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
The ROLEXROLEX thing on the dial is very subtle, and under most conditions barely noticeable. It does show up well in pics though.
diablojota is offline   Reply With Quote