The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
Should I, or shouldn't I wear a Rolex to my interviews.

Hey everyone. I have 4 interviews coming up this week. All in the Pharmaceutical, Medical device industry.

My question is this. Should I wear a Rolex, or go with a Tag to be safe.

I am a pretty firm believer with the whole conservitive look for interviews, and a Rolex (although I know better), doesn't always say understated to those across a desk.

I'm thinking more SS Datejust and Airking than GMT or SUB for those wondering.

PAtrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 07:49 PM   #2
mansion

Go for it. The medical devices people will see you as someone who appreciates good engineering and craftmanship (bal bal bla).

They'll also conclude that you are a man of taste, of course.
mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Alex Stylianou
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mansion View Post
Go for it. The medical devices people will see you as someone who appreciates good engineering and craftmanship (bal bal bla).

They'll also conclude that you are a man of taste, of course.
what he said
Alex Stylianou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 08:01 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well Patrick surely you would be judged on how you would contribute to the company as a person. And not with what watch you was wearing,so relax be yourself, just wear what you feel comfortable with.And how you conduct and promote yourself at the interview, is far more important than any watch in my book, best of luck hope all goes well.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 09:33 PM   #5
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well Patrick surely you would be judged on how you would contribute to the company as a person. And not with what watch you was wearing,so relax be yourself, just wear what you feel comfortable with.And how you conduct and promote yourself at the interview, is far more important than any watch in my book, best of luck hope all goes well.
Agree with Peter. When I have held interviews for positions, I did not even pay attention to what watch the person was wearing.
Old 27 February 2007, 06:21 AM   #6
Edensknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Best of luck to you.
Edensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 08:03 PM   #7
Dr Rock
"TRF" Member

You don't want to be wearing anything that is going to distract you from the interview..

Good luck anyway!
Dr Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 08:30 PM   #8
President
Banned

Watch: Bear Grylls
Will the person who is interviewing you be higher or lower (hierarchy wise) than you?
President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 08:34 PM   #9
ROLEX4EvEr
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Back
Id say no, what if the guy interviewing you is little envious of your Rolex when he himself has a plastic Casio on. Good luck
Old 26 February 2007, 08:58 PM   #10
greenfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16710 Coke
I guess youŽd go to the interview wearing a suit, right. Then the sleeves will somehow "cover" your watch. Anyway, thatŽs the watch youŽre wearing, itŽs you, you donŽt have to take it off. As you know there is never a correct yes or no answer to these questions. Wear the watch you feel like wearing...
Old 26 February 2007, 11:32 PM   #11
BHE

Watch: LV Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEX4EvEr View Post
Id say no, what if the guy interviewing you is little envious of your Rolex when he himself has a plastic Casio on. Good luck
Patrick, wear the Rolex on your interviews. You will be interviewing with the highering manager or the regional manager depending on where you are in the interview process. Believe me, the people interviewing you will not be wearing a plastic casio. I'm not sure of your background but I'm assuming you were in some type of B2B sales prior to this. If this is the case your Rolex certainly will give the impression you were successful at your last job. When interviewing for these types of jobs the highering managers look for specific proof of success, i.e. awards, rankings, ROLEX!!!

The last piece of advice I can provide is wear whatever watch you feel comfortable with. The last thing you want is to be thinking what the interviewer thinks of your watch---you'd rather concentrate on formulating answers to their questions. By the way, I am a regional account manager in the Pharmaceutical market!!!!

MOST IMPORTANT: DO NOT WALK OUT OF THE INTERVIEW WITHOUT ASKING FOR THE JOB!!!!!
BHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 01:29 PM   #12
ezmoney46

Watch: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHE View Post
Patrick, wear the Rolex on your interviews. You will be interviewing with the highering manager or the regional manager depending on where you are in the interview process. Believe me, the people interviewing you will not be wearing a plastic casio. I'm not sure of your background but I'm assuming you were in some type of B2B sales prior to this. If this is the case your Rolex certainly will give the impression you were successful at your last job. When interviewing for these types of jobs the highering managers look for specific proof of success, i.e. awards, rankings, ROLEX!!!

The last piece of advice I can provide is wear whatever watch you feel comfortable with. The last thing you want is to be thinking what the interviewer thinks of your watch---you'd rather concentrate on formulating answers to their questions. By the way, I am a regional account manager in the Pharmaceutical market!!!!

MOST IMPORTANT: DO NOT WALK OUT OF THE INTERVIEW WITHOUT ASKING FOR THE JOB!!!!!
Agree, I'm in sales as well.
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 03:28 PM   #13
Kris
Banned

Watch: Sea-Dweller Z-ser.
Wear it. Unless it's solid gold, the interviewer isn't going to notice.

The only person that would notice it if it's a SS or platinum is someone who knows Rolex style. The "Rolex" name on the dial is so small that unless they have microscope glasses on, they wouldn't know what brand it is.
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 04:30 PM   #14
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
Thank you for the good wishes and the extreemly sound advice everyone.

The thing I am most proud of is my brag book of past accomplishments. I have the rankings, awards, ect., that are extreemly important. Plus, not to shine my own shoes, but I think I interview pretty well. I have the confidence from proving myself in two previous sales positions. One with Xerox, one with a large Pharmaceutical company.

However, with that being said, I think I am going to go with the Airking.

Plain, conservative, down to earth, yet shows besides what is on paper, I have taste and willingness to earn a bonus. If they even notice...lol...

The reason why I ask is because I am guilty or when meeting someone, I always look at what they are wearing. I'm not saying I judge them on it...exactly, but it does leave a definate first impression before I get to know said person. Basically, I'm looking for a positive first impression, and let my work history, refrences, and myself do the rest.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Patrick

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso

Last edited by Blown Wide Open; 27 February 2007 at 06:16 PM..
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 08:57 PM   #15
Remember2
"TRF" Member

I'd say yes. You can always take it off, if you feel it's unsuitable.

If he/she has a high end watch him/herself you might score some cheap points...
Remember2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 09:04 PM   #16
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Wear it.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 10:00 PM   #17
Dimitris

Wear it, then they know that you are a perfectionist with no compromisses, nothing but the best.
Dimitris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 10:42 PM   #18
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Wear it, it is YOU.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 11:10 PM   #19
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
Wear it. It is one more thing to help you be remembered.

One buit of advice. If he asks how you got it, don't say that you sued the last guy who interviewed you for a job for discrimination and settled out of court.
astcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2007, 11:12 PM   #20
President
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
Wear it. It is one more thing to help you be remembered.

One buit of advice. If he asks how you got it, don't say that you sued the last guy who interviewed you for a job for discrimination and settled out of court.
Is that what happened?
Old 27 February 2007, 04:31 AM   #21
Wayno

Watch: TTDJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Is that what happened?
Unbelivable
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 04:34 AM   #22
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Patrick,

I'd go with what BHE said above. Makes sense to me.

And good luck with the job.....I think we both need a change of fortune, uh?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 04:56 AM   #23
President
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Unbelivable
I thought you blocked me.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:14 AM   #24
montecristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234 DateJust
Should be fine, I'd have more faith in someone who is sporting a rolex anyway in a professional environment.
montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 12:22 AM   #25
nko51
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Blue Sub
It's not what you wear, but how you wear it.
Old 27 February 2007, 12:26 AM   #26
mrbieler
"TRF" Member

Watch: all about acrylic
Wear it or whatever watch catches your fancy that morning.

They're going to be interviewing the best candidate they can get, Rolex, Tag, Timex, or none at all.

Do the interview right and the person you're talking to will be telling you all about HIS/HER watch and you'll be the one sitting back taking mental notes and passing judgment. :)

Cursimus Cum Forfex

mrbieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 01:04 AM   #27
santaclaus2100

Watch: TT GMT Master II
Wear it !!!

Patrick,

I would say, "Wear it." Just be yourself, if you are going to be conscious of the watch you are wearing, you will be distracted from the interview.

Like the Heineken tag line, "Be true to yourself". (from the old ads).

Good luck with the interview, I am sure you will ace it.

On another note, I am currently considering my next watch.

It is between the SS GMT pepsi dial and the TT GMT root beer dial.

But I am worried about being too flashy with the TT, gold and steel. (being self conscious) Anyway... this isn't the place for this topic.

Good luck, Patrick.
santaclaus2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 03:58 AM   #28
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I would rock that Sub to no end, brother, or whatever you feel comfortable with that day, especially. Most people have power ties, and you'll want to pair that with your power watch, whatever makes you feel the most confidence and calm, two characteristics that any interviewer worth working with will be looking for. You wear your watch, it doesn't wear you...
If the position you're interviewing for is in sales, especially, you'll want them to know that all your success didn't happen accidentally...you've sold above and beyond what was required to be able to afford such a luxury, which you'll obviously signal to them is a tradition you plan to continue.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 04:54 AM   #29
finance21
2024 Pledge Member

Rule of thumb is that you should not wear any watch at all during an interview. No need to tell what the time is, you are there to discuss the opportunity not show off possessions. While I realize YOU are not showing off, those who are not WIS like us may not view it in the same manner.

Rubenonfire no offense at all mate, but I could not disagree more. A 5k watch is not a sign of success; anyone can buy it (that is why our national savings rate is at an all time low).
finance21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2007, 05:15 AM   #30
Rubenonfire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by finance21 View Post
Rule of thumb is that you should not wear any watch at all during an interview. No need to tell what the time is, you are there to discuss the opportunity not show off possessions. While I realize YOU are not showing off, those who are not WIS like us may not view it in the same manner.

Rubenonfire no offense at all mate, but I could not disagree more. A 5k watch is not a sign of success; anyone can buy it (that is why our national savings rate is at an all time low).
None taken at all, of course!
Anyone can buy one, but not everyone can afford it...
Also, naturally if you didn't have a clue what you were talking about in your interview or if you didn't have any past succeses or achievements, then NO watch (or any other accoutrement) will be able to save you. It only supplements your claims to achievement and success, particularly in sales. In the long run, however, ONLY your performance will be used to judge your abilities, and I doubt if there's a 'right' answer to this question. Whatever gives you confidence and calm...the broken record continues.
Rubenonfire is offline   Reply With Quote