The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 5 September 2011, 08:08 AM   #1
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Bad experience at Ben Bridge La Jolla - also noticed something potentially illegal.

I had decided a long time ago to never visit another BB, but it's Labor Day weekend and I have been wanting to try on the 116610, so I thought what the heck - I'll give them another chance.
Bad decision.

Walked in with t-shirt/jeans and my 14060M. I'll try to refrain from any personal dramatizations, but here is the conversation.

Me: Hello, do you have a Sub-C in stock?
Jeweler: "Yes we do, it's right there, you didn't see it?"
Me:
Me: Do you mind if I take a look?

Jeweler hesitantly takes it out of the case.
Jeweler (without me asking): "It's $8000 you know."

Me: I would like to purchase one before the next price increase this year, but I'm not sure if it's too similar to my ND Sub.
Jeweler: "I don't think that will happen, and we don't find out until a few days before anyway."

Jeweler: "Did you buy yours used?"
Me:

Me: No, I prefer to buy my watches new.
Jeweler (referring to my 14060M): "When did you buy this?"
Me: A couple months ago, at Swiss Watch Gallery.

Jeweler: "Ohhh it's the old one."
Me: Ummm, it's the random serial version - latest Sub ND I believe.

Jeweler: "Oh I see. Did you know serial doesn't matter anymore?"
I ignored this remark.

Me: Can you show me how the new glidelock work?
The jeweler plays with the clasp and says with an attitude: "This is what you wanted to see right?"

Me: You know, I don't mean to waste your time. If you're too busy, you don't have to help me.

Something to think about:
Before walking out the door, I noticed two 14060M in display. In June, I wrote about seeing a 14060M at a BB with a piece of metal in the dial and with the random serial ###NO###.
This watch used to be at another BB store about 15 miles away, and now it's at this location (one with a certified Rolex technician).

I don't know if BB had sent this watch to RSC to have it repaired, or if they had simply transferred it to this location to have it opened/fixed in house, and brush it off as new.

Either way, I know for sure I will never visit another BB again. It's a shame customer service has dropped to this level - not to mention dubious practices.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 08:19 AM   #2
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
We have a dealer here in Edmonton who has lost my business a few times. Every time you go in, you just feel.... Uncomfortable.

The problem I have is that they are the only Omega dealer in town (Also a Rolex dealer) and I was in the market for a Speedmaster (3573).

This is how my chain of events went (also wearing jeans/tshirt wearing a Omega Planet Ocean at the time).

Me: Hi there, is it possible to have a look at that Speedmaster?

Girl 1: Sure! This is the clear back display. Very nice watch

Me: Yeah I've done some reading on it

Girl 1 to Girl 2: Hey, can you help this customer? I have to go upstairs to the Apple store. I have a genius appointment in 10 minutes.

Girl 2: Huh? What do you need my help for?

Girl 1: Oh, can you please help my customer, I need to go to the Apple Store

Girl 2: Seriously? I guess so..

Girl 1 now vacates.

Girl 2 to me: What do you need?

Me: Can I also see that other speed master? (3570), I would like to compare them.

Girl 2: They are both the same with different backs

Me: Actually, no they aren't. One has a hesalite crystal and the other has a sapphire crystal. I want to see which I prefer

Girl 2: "HUFF" Fine.

Me: So I'm looking at picking one up, what sort of deal can you swing if I pick it up tonight and pay cash?

Girl 2: MSRP + Tax. We are the only Omega dealer in town so you pay full price. (in the worst possible tone you could imagine).

Me: Well that's unfortunate for you as I travel extensively and you aren't the only Omega dealer for me.

Girl 2: Fine

Girl 2 puts the watches away and I walk away.

Here's the interesting part.. I later ran into the first sales lady in the mall and explained what happened and how they lost a sale. She said "Yeah, that's *name forgotten*. She likely just wanted to go for a smoke. She becomes really crabby when she wants to go for a smoke."

3 days later I buy a brand new IWC 3717 from an AD in a different city. I recommend a friend to the same AD who then buys a Speedmaster.

Some AD's just don't get it.
slashd0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 08:33 AM   #3
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Something to think about:
Before walking out the door, I noticed two 14060M in display. In June, I wrote about seeing a 14060M at a BB with a piece of metal in the dial and with the random serial ###NO###.
This watch used to be at another BB store about 15 miles away, and now it's at this location (one with a certified Rolex technician).

I don't know if BB had sent this watch to RSC to have it repaired, or if they had simply transferred it to this location to have it opened/fixed in house, and brush it off as new.

Either way, I know for sure I will never visit another BB again. It's a shame customer service has dropped to this level - not to mention dubious practices.
Sorry, lousy service aside, what's "potentially illegal" in the whole scenario you set out? I see nothing that's potentially against the law... am I missing something?
kkwn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 08:39 AM   #4
texex91
"TRF" Member

Now that you have experienced the finest BB has to offer, you may want to contact one our friendly TRF Trusted sellers to procure that fine watch. What did you think of it?

Forget the BB bad attitude and high price--buy local (TRF local that is) :-)
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Lanfor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner-16610LV
Service like that sucks ! sorry to hear about your bad experience
Old 5 September 2011, 08:45 AM   #6
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
i agree that the salesman wasnt exactly kissing *ss, but it sounds to me like most of my interations with morons working on the clock (this doesnt imply all people on the clock are morons).

look, you likely know more about rolexes than he does. however, he's playing a lousy commissioned sales rep game and i am sure its a miserable existence for him.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 08:58 AM   #7
hennabav
Banned

Watch: --Rolex--
That's just sad. It's not really about kissing a** or anything. One of your main things in being a sales rep is service whether you are working on or off the clock. And if you can't even provide service or put a tiny bit of effort into your job, then I'm sorry, you should quit. But managers have blame in this as well and if they are losing business to online retailers, that's their fault. With the internet forums and market growing so rapidly, I would step up my game if I'm planning on staying in business with storefront. Just my 2 cents.
hennabav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 09:46 AM   #8
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Everyone has stories like that...doesn't surprise me or deter me from visiting. Actually makes me want to bug them even more! LOL

Remember we have forgotten more about Rolex than the average salesperson at Ben Bridge or Mayors or Jared etc etc will ever know!
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I love these stories. I can picture the scenes. LOL
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 09:55 AM   #10
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Jon, in today's economy, the salesmen Should be kissing *ss. big-time. you can get a pretty decent used car for the price of that rolex. i am pretty much in a place where i assume bad service and am surprised when i am treated well. i may sound like a crank, but its reality. i doubt that the manager of a jewelery store seeks out people with horological interests. they likely just try to find people without a criminal background who are presentable and reliable. given this, i generally dont like talking cars with car salesmen, nor do i like talking watches with watch salesmen. however, i do enjoy talking to some of the nice ladies working at the Tourneaus located in south florida. life is all about expectations. mine are REAL low.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 09:57 AM   #11
Captain Kirk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710
Wow, they suck! Weird I buy my watches from BB in Carlsbad and the experience is so much different. For sure I would fire that sales person if I owned the La Jolla store. Please tell me it wasn't the Manager?

Dk
Captain Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 09:58 AM   #12
horseco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116528
My AD experiences have been overwhelmingly negative...
horseco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 09:59 AM   #13
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Rolex should not let Ben Bridges or Jareds have an AD license period.
anyone with me?
Old 5 September 2011, 10:18 AM   #14
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Turdneau is not the worst AD?

I remember how good BB was (80s), at least in WA state. They were not a very big company then.

My AD in Alexandria, VA is outstanding every time I have dealt with them. Their store will be converted into a Rolex boutique; all expenses involved in store renovation will be borne by the store owners. I'm just happy they will still be around.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 01:06 PM   #15
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
anyone with me?
Here,here, Jareds is just plain insuting for a AD, most of the emplyees here in Az dont know what their talking about..
The BB in Scottsdale fashion Square mall r ok, the jeweler their is a member here & knows her stuff, the rest are dense bimbos w/ attitude....

Back to the OP sorry to hear your bad experience forgetaboutit
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 11:30 PM   #16
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualman88 View Post
anyone with me?
I agree . . . by the way, Jareds is owned by Kay Jewelers. Just saying.
never2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 10:08 AM   #17
Jinder
Banned

Watch: 116713
I guess I am super lucky to have a Superb local AD. Never have any issues, just professional respectful service. Colin Nash in London Ontario is one of kind!
Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 10:11 AM   #18
STEELINOX

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Are you talkin about the UTC La Jolla store?

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
SUB-MAH-REEEN-ER ~ !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 10:12 AM   #19
Flyfisher
"TRF" Member

These types of stories, I am sure, is exactly why Rolex wants to roll out its own boutiques.

That way, they control the customer experience and MSRP (no discounts) and eliminate the gray market.

It's great sport to bust on AD's (not to say they don't deserve it at times), but at some point relatively soon, we will look back and wish for the day when the customer had a choice in Rolex retailers.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 10:23 AM   #20
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
When & if you do purchase the Sub C I would go back to BB & find that jeweler with the attitude & show him the watch & say remember me I was the guy that you treated so shitty.So because you're an asshole you lost out on a $8000 sale.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 11:19 AM   #21
ktmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
When & if you do purchase the Sub C I would go back to BB & find that jeweler with the attitude & show him the watch & say remember me I was the guy that you treated so shitty.So because you're an asshole you lost out on a $8000 sale.
No point. I am quite sure the salesman could not care less. Why would he? He is likely making minimum wage and little commision.
ktmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 11:27 AM   #22
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Hehe, like that scene out of Pretty Woman with Julia Roberts when she goes back to Rodeo Drive not looking like a hooker any more.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 10:27 AM   #23
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

kkwn98: Well, I'm not saying that they opened up/fixed the watch in house - but if they had, I would hate to be the person to buy the piece.
Since no indications were made, I only recognized it by the serial number. ###NO### on an originally defective watch is hard to forget.

texex91: I liked it a lot! Granted, it was hard to enjoy the moment because I wanted to leave asap. It's definitely on my list, but I will first need to justify to myself owning both a 116610 and a 14060M.

STEELINOX: Yes, the one located in UTC.

To everyone else, thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's really too bad that these jewelers assume if you don't walk in with a posse, you can't afford to buy.
Funny thing is the same Explorer II I almost bought from them back in May is still sitting in the case!

I wonder why!
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 10:36 AM   #24
kkwn98
"TRF" Member

Quote:
kkwn98: Well, I'm not saying that they opened up/fixed the watch in house - but if they had, I would hate to be the person to buy the piece.
Since no indications were made, I only recognized it by the serial number. ###NO### on an originally defective watch is hard to forget.
Even if they did, what's "potentially illegal" about that?
kkwn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 10:44 AM   #25
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
Quote:

texex91: I liked it a lot! Granted, it was hard to enjoy the moment because I wanted to leave asap. It's definitely on my list, but I will first need to justify to myself owning both a 116610 and a 14060M.

STEELINOX: Yes, the one located in UTC.

To everyone else, thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's really too bad that these jewelers assume if you don't walk in with a posse, you can't afford to buy.
Funny thing is the same Explorer II I almost bought from them back in May is still sitting in the case!

I wonder why!
Vaxe, I'm with you. I also would hate to be the one who buys a "brand new watch just slightly opened and worked on" by an AD before purchasing. If I go to an AD, and pay top dollar for a brand new watch, I expect it to be unopened from Switzerland. I'm sure it would be OK, but it would bug the hell out of me all the same.

n
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 11:16 AM   #26
STEELINOX

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezza17 View Post
Vaxe, I'm with you. I also would hate to be the one who buys a "brand new watch just slightly opened and worked on" by an AD before purchasing. If I go to an AD, and pay top dollar for a brand new watch, I expect it to be unopened from Switzerland. I'm sure it would be OK, but it would bug the hell out of me all the same.

n
I know the ROLEX Tech at this AD, I wouldnt hesitate use of his expertise.

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
SUB-MAH-REEEN-ER ~ !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 10:46 AM   #27
Melanotaenia
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorers and Subs
Just like any other industry, if something show up as "new" in the store and has a defect, once the defect is repaired, it can no longer be sold as "new" but instead "reconditioned" or "refurbished"

Do these rules not apply to the Rolex/watch industry?
Melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 12:16 PM   #28
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanotaenia View Post
Just like any other industry, if something show up as "new" in the store and has a defect, once the defect is repaired, it can no longer be sold as "new" but instead "reconditioned" or "refurbished"

I have known AD's to remove a speck of dust from a new dial. The watch is still new. It hasn't been worn. The watch shouldn't have to be sold as "used." Rolex makes 800000 watches a year. There will be a few watches with issues that make it out. It is a very simple procedure to remove anything from the dial (unless its a DSSD.)

As for buying from AD's the 2 AD's I've used in the past have been wonderful. Especially the AD I purchased my Sub-C from last month. I have only been given attitude once at an AD and never went back. I am young (26) and usually the salesmen are more than eager to help me. I really hate to hear of this happening because most AD's out there are very kind and really know what customer service is. A few bad apples spoil the basket if you ask me.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 10:50 PM   #29
CashGap
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanotaenia View Post

I'm not aware of any industry where this applies.

I hope you have never purchased a car. Quite a few are repaired (including paint) at the dealership.

I think this falls into the "Anything I don't like or don't understand is illegal" department.
CashGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2011, 11:07 PM   #30
Oyster1982
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashGap View Post
I'm not aware of any industry where this applies.

I hope you have never purchased a car. Quite a few are repaired (including paint) at the dealership.

I think this falls into the "Anything I don't like or don't understand is illegal" department.
When I was in college I worked at a car dealer part time. I took out a brand new Altima out to swap it at another dealer, and on the way there I got into a car accident, the Altima needed 10k worth of work. The car was fixed and still sold as new, however it had a damage disclousure in its folder which a customer saw when they bought the car. As long as a car is not titled to a consumer its a new car. I bought a demo car for 7k less than sticker with 6k miles on it, the warranty started the day I bought the car. Also it got a new car inspection sticker before I drove off. With watches it should be the same, any watch that has not been sold is still new eventhough it has been repaired. However they might need to tell you the watch was serviced by Rolex.