The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 February 2014, 02:28 AM   #1
Tri-National-Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND/D/LV
How many 16610 LV vs 16610 LN out there?

Ok WE ALL KNOW that the Submariner 16610 is a MASS PRODUCED product and there are MILLIONS of them, but is there any accurate-ish production figures for each model to date? Rolex HQ at ST James's Sq in London told me that the LV was produced at a ratio of approximately 1:5 standard LN (black bezel) models.
The LN has been produced for approx 20 years (?) 10,000,000 of them??
The LV has been produced for approx 7 years (?) 1,000,000 of them??

Please experts lets workm out the figures!!!

(PS. I still think my LV has a Maxi date wheel)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2620.jpg (60.1 KB, 802 views)
Tri-National-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 05:45 AM   #2
balboa73
Banned

most will tell you it doesent matter because it was produced for 7 years (LV) and therefore their are all kinds of LVs floating around (there is).

However the 16610LV is much much much much rarer than a standard 16610LN

16610LV will always have a 'premium' over the 16610LN because why wouldent it?

some will even tell you there is only one true 50th(2003). Thats horse feces. A 16610LV is a 16610LV no matter how someone will attemp to 'spin' it.

The 116610LV 'ceramic' some will tell you its a 2nd gen 50th(its not) its just a green submariner. the differences between the 16610LV v.s 16610LN are well documented but the ONLY difference between a 116610LV and 116610LN is bezel, dial color (offtopic)

balboa73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Roller07
"TRF" Member

Watch: HulkPepsiCoke
Only Rolex knows the answer and there are not telling anyone.
Roller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Wild Bill Buts
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LVc
Buying a 116610LV D series 2011

I have just recently went gazing at 95% new Rolex's and the gentlemen at the store told me that has a 116610LV in stock and that it has a super rare Dial. It's a G series 2011 with the Ceramic Bezel and the Dial is the exact same colour as the Bezel.

Is that somehow Rare?

Why is it Rare?

It's 95% new he said. It was in the box looking so sweet. I tried it on and out came the down payment. Is 8500$ a good price? He had it listed at 9050$.
I was thinking of going there with the 8500 in cash but laying down 8200 first. See what he says.

Is that a fair price he's asking for ?? $8500$ ??

Oh he said that the watch was originally from a Canadian AD before he got it.
I had never known that it made a difference what country the second hand Rolex's AD was originally from.
He said that i could have problems with customs if i were to leave Canada and they to come back in. Customs would run the serial# and see what country the watches AD came from. And if it's outside of Canada you will ave to pay duty.
CRAZY-NESS:
Wild Bill Buts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 08:27 AM   #5
coralfarmer84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
It's not rare. It is a great watch and you will love it. $9050 is what it costs brand new so if he had a used watch marked there thats overpriced. $8500 is a fair price I guess especially if it looks pristine and has all paperwork/still under warranty. I'd say 8k would be a fair price to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Buts View Post
I have just recently went gazing at 95% new Rolex's and the gentlemen at the store told me that has a 116610LV in stock and that it has a super rare Dial. It's a G series 2011 with the Ceramic Bezel and the Dial is the exact same colour as the Bezel.

Is that somehow Rare?

Why is it Rare?

It's 95% new he said. It was in the box looking so sweet. I tried it on and out came the down payment. Is 8500$ a good price? He had it listed at 9050$.
I was thinking of going there with the 8500 in cash but laying down 8200 first. See what he says.

Is that a fair price he's asking for ?? $8500$ ??

Oh he said that the watch was originally from a Canadian AD before he got it.
I had never known that it made a difference what country the second hand Rolex's AD was originally from.
He said that i could have problems with customs if i were to leave Canada and they to come back in. Customs would run the serial# and see what country the watches AD came from. And if it's outside of Canada you will ave to pay duty.
CRAZY-NESS:
coralfarmer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Tri-National-Man
"TRF" Member

Ceramic LV is a completely different watch to the model discussed on this thread...
Old 8 February 2014, 12:50 PM   #7
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I can only speak for where I live. Japan. This thread is about the 16610 LV.

Here is Japan if you hunt around you can still find them but the premium is getting higher and higher. Finding one NIB is nearly impossible.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 06:18 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
If you want a really rare Rolex try finding one on the left hand winding Rolex now they are rare.What is rare today in my book something that's rare is a product produced in under a hundred world wide and not in there many thousands.No modern day Rolex is rare just some produced in lower numbers.And today the main reason that Rolex have changed to the new random case serial system is simply this.Since the single letter system started in 1987 Rolex have produced such a vast amount of watches they just ran out of single letter and number combinations.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 11:49 PM   #9
Byrdguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV,
I would think more like $7500 for a used one.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 11:56 PM   #10
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

A more reasoned guestimate for the total supply of 16610LV is 90,000 or so.

Hardly rare, though rarer than a 116520 due to the fewer years of production.
Welshwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 12:14 AM   #11
RolexDivers
Banned

Compared to the regular black and white sub, the LV is extremely rare. I would put my $$ on it any day over the regular sub. Every tom, dick and harry is wearing a regular sub but not the LV.

Also in the future, the LV would always command a greater premium than the non LV sub.
RolexDivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 04:55 AM   #12
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexDivers View Post
Compared to the regular black and white sub, the LV is extremely rare. I would put my $$ on it any day over the regular sub. Every tom, dick and harry is wearing a regular sub but not the LV.

Also in the future, the LV would always command a greater premium than the non LV sub.
I think it's more scarce than the LN but not "extremely" rare, what most people don't factor in is that in the real world most people don't like that green bezel. Yes in the wis world....omg! the LV.....in the real world people in mass, the general public probably prefer the LN Submariner. That's the real reason why it's not seen as much in my opinion in addition to the fact it was produced in lower numbers of which no one knows what that actually is.
So there's two factors, preferability in the general public and limited production in both numbers and time.

I know when I first saw one in the store I said wow cool, but....I quickly decided I really didn't like it. Fast forward a decade and now I like it, but I'm a wis now.
As far as rarity....I have three co-workers who own one where I'm at, none of them are wis. It's not that rare, but as the years go on the internet and collectors will begin to generate hype as always....there's a nib here offered at double it's original price and more than a new LVc, I would consider that hype, but collectors and owners are like yeah thats right, its raaare, like stock brokers pushing a stock.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 03:25 AM   #13
ikovalchuk17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ND Sub
I agree the LV will always command a premium over the LN.

To put a spin on the question, I probably see on average 2 16610LN watches being worn a week in the wild. Over the last 5 years, I've only seen 1 16610LV total. This just my observation, but I wonder if the LV is really that much rarer or if they are mostly in storage where the LNs are being used.
ikovalchuk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 03:26 AM   #14
RolexDivers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikovalchuk17 View Post

To put a spin on the question, I probably see on average 2 16610LN watches being worn a week in the wild. Over the last 5 years, I've only seen 1 16610LV total. This just my observation, but I wonder if the LV is really that much rarer or if they are mostly in storage where the LNs are being used.
In my entire life, I have only seen one too .. in a plane..some guy swas stuffing his luggage in the overhead compartment on top of my head....
RolexDivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 03:35 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
In my entire life, I have only seen one too .. in a plane..some guy swas stuffing his luggage in the overhead compartment on top of my head....
You should get out more then perhaps you would see more of these super rare LV watches rare my ars#.In today's world there are many many thousands of them around, and all the same apart from a few minor fonts and slight insert colour changes.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 05:49 PM   #16
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You should get out more then perhaps you would see more of these super rare LV watches rare my ars#.In today's world there are many many thousands of them around, and all the same apart from a few minor fonts and slight insert colour changes.
Hi Pete,

Having a good weekend?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 03:41 AM   #17
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Interesting. I see them all the time. Have owned two myself. Steel Daytonas too, see them all the time. Had one of those too. In fact I see so many steel daytonas I would never buy another, for me, too common.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 12:49 PM   #18
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikovalchuk17 View Post

I have seen one in the wild since their production run began. One. On a foreign woman at the Outback Steakhouse in Osaka Japan.
Old 9 February 2014, 05:15 AM   #19
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
A few weeks ago, I hesitated between the LN and the LV, but finally took the LN because I don't like the maxi dial much. Now I bought a LV insert (on this forum) so I'll have the perfect LV soon.
Old 9 February 2014, 08:42 AM   #20
Tri-National-Man
"TRF" Member

Some interesting points made - but some people still hack on about the LV being rare - It is compared to say an Omega Seamaster, but isn't because of its mass production - 90,000 of them out there approximately...
Thanks for all your discussions..
Shaun (OP)
Old 9 February 2014, 08:56 AM   #21
GEO_79
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 Polar
This watch is not rare! You can find 8 submariners 16610 lv for sale on watchfinder.co.uk
GEO_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 09:56 AM   #22
shalako
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEO_79 View Post
This watch is not rare! You can find 8 submariners 16610 lv for sale on watchfinder.co.uk
Depends how you define rare, there are certainly a lot less of them than Sea-Dwellers for example and look what's happening to their prices since they were discontinued.
The Sub LV is special, the maxi dial made the excellent Submariner the perfect Sub and the fact that you can add a Black bezel to the LV for a different look adds to the attraction.
It will be interesting to see which versions of the LV become most sought after in years to come, the early versions will always be the most popular but my preference is for the later versions with the RRR on the rehaut which were only around for a few years.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 10:03 AM   #23
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalako View Post
Depends how you define rare, there are certainly a lot less of them than Sea-Dwellers for example and look what's happening to their prices since they were discontinued.
The Sub LV is special, the maxi dial made the excellent Submariner the perfect Sub and the fact that you can add a Black bezel to the LV for a different look adds to the attraction.
It will be interesting to see which versions of the LV become most sought after in years to come, the early versions will always be the most popular but my preference is for the later versions with the RRR on the rehaut which were only around for a few years.
It would be interesting to know the production figures. I have really watched the prices on the LV and they are really sitting still. I was surprised at this and thought they would really go up much more, but they are not. I hardly ever see the SD's but see LV's all the time.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 05:29 PM   #24
Tri-National-Man
"TRF" Member

My original question on this post was to try and find out an approximate production number of LVs (50th anniversary LV...NOT Ceramic LV) compared to the more common 16610 black bezel model. So far, someone has posted a figure of 90,000LVs so here is the maths; LVs made at a rate of one fifth of the LN for a third of the time;
90,000 X 5 X 3 = 135000 LNs
Approximate production numbers:
Approximate number of 16610 LV = 90,000
Approximate number of 16610 LN = 1,350,000
Old 9 February 2014, 05:38 PM   #25
Tri-National-Man
"TRF" Member

WOW - If you devide 1,350,000 by 90,000 you get exactly 15 meaning that there are approximately 1 LV for every 15 LN....
Old 9 February 2014, 05:42 PM   #26
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

No offense but i dont think this thread is going to go anywhere.I ,for one, would love to know the answer to your question, but as we all know on TRF, Rolex is a privately held company that has no obligation, inclination, or desire to share any production numbers on specific models.The only number they have ever released in regards to production is to COSC to get the annual certifications on all of that year's gross inventory. Any guess would be pure speculation.
Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 05:48 PM   #27
Andad
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I don't know how many they made.

But I know where two of them are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00071r.jpg (247.6 KB, 483 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 06:29 PM   #28
ironmanmarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

Great pic...nice set
ironmanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2014, 12:16 PM   #29
Gaijin

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

Nice Eddie!
Old 9 February 2014, 06:42 PM   #30
fisherman79
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
All Rolex products are mass produced these days. So are the 16610 LN and LV.
It doesnt affect any value in tue future, as they will never become rare.
Rolex made perfection available for everyone, to its totally not exclusive. If you want to buy a watch thats exclusive, you should consider another brand.

For me Rolex is special, because its the only one who kept independant during the quartz crisis. They could manage that because of the large production numbers.
fisherman79 is offline   Reply With Quote