The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 May 2018, 07:40 AM   #1
Whitebirdiedk
Banned

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Should I wear my Rolex to a job interview

Hello guys
I am 22 years old and a happy owner of a BLNR. Like many other Rolex owners I like to wear it (almost) everyday. I am currently attending a lot of job interviews as I am finishing my degree in July.
I’ve been wearing my Rolex for the last two interviews but I am considering leaving it at home for the third. It’s primarily finance and/or auditing companies so I am definitely not the only one with a Rolex on the wrist, but I am wondering if wearing a Rolex at the age of 22 sends a bad/arrogant signal to the employer/recruiter.

What are your thoughts? And do you have any good/bad experiences?

Looking very much forward to read your replies
Old 9 May 2018, 07:43 AM   #2
Robb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLNR
In my experience, most people would never notice. Go for it!
Old 9 May 2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
In my experience, most people would never notice. Go for it!

I agree, most people won’t notice. Even if it was noticed it shouldn’t prevent you from getting the job. It comes down to how well you interviewed. Good luck mate and enjoy the BLNR!!
Old 9 May 2018, 07:44 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you think it will help you, wear it, if not, don't.
Old 9 May 2018, 07:50 AM   #5
Whitebirdiedk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If you think it will help you, wear it, if not, don't.

Problem is that I don’t know of this will help me or not therefore I was looking for someone who may have had the same “dilemma” or experience
Old 9 May 2018, 08:11 AM   #6
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebirdiedk View Post
Problem is that I don’t know of this will help me or not therefore I was looking for someone who may have had the same “dilemma” or experience
Been working last 35+ years and in my experience advertising your wealth has the potential to foster resentment and envy in some, including your management.

I gave the same advice to my son who had issues at work “you have it too good, you don’t need a salary increase, etc.” from his management. This affected his salary/bonus at year end.

I’d leave it home for the interview.
Old 9 May 2018, 10:19 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Investment Banks/corporate finance can be hierarchical so then no you shouldn't wear it as a newbie, other places are more relaxed like accountancy firms and retail banks and it probably won't matter, so depends on which firm this is, but if you have any doubt or will be self conscious then leave it.
Old 9 May 2018, 10:23 AM   #8
adawil2002
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16550 Explorer II
Yes, it's just a watch, no one will notice.
6284 SS, 16014 SS Jubilee silver stick, 16253 TT Blue Thunderbird, 16550 SS Exp II Cream, bought in 1986, 116400GV Z-blue Milgauss, 79260 Tudor, 116660 DSSD-Blue, 116500LV Daytona White, 116710 BLNR, 326934 Blue Skydweller
Old 9 May 2018, 10:24 AM   #9
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Leave it
Old 9 May 2018, 10:29 AM   #10
DHPSU
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawil2002 View Post
Yes, it's just a watch, no one will notice.

How can you say it’s just a watch. Watches say a lot about you, that’s what makes them so personal. Also, they may say things about you even if they are not true. A 22 year old wearing s 10k watch will probably raise a few eyebrows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10 May 2018, 12:20 AM   #11
OpusXIII
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy, Hulk, DJ
Quote:
It would seem that you would (or at least, should) have far more important things to concern yourself with than what watch you'll be wearing; i.e. the job interview itself. I seriously doubt that wearing the watch (a watch that most likely will never even be noticed by anyone) would hinder your interview in any way whatsoever. Those who might notice will likely not make mention of it. And for those that would take issue with your wearing a Rolex........well, that's there problem.

Dress like a boss. Act like a boss. Kill the interview by being prepared and well versed on the company (and position) in which you are applying. Good luck to you.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:35 AM   #12
hothothaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Pam 685
Quote:
For me, I get attachment to certain things, and my watch is one of them. I usually only wear one at a time, so it is like a part of me. I would feel naked without it. So I would say that with an SS watch of any type, no one will notice it except you probably. (After all, its not a car dealership where your wrist and shoes are the first place they look.) So if you consider it a part of you, and you would notice it missing, you should wear it. And don't think about it. The only person who would notice a SS rolex is either a rolex owner (who would not hold it against you) or someone who owns a different luxury watch. And they might want to chat about it. So then you have an in. Only WIS's and owners of the same brand notice watches.

If this was a 47MM panerai, I may have a different take, but not for an SS 40mm rolex
Old 9 May 2018, 07:44 AM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you are asking yourself this question, just leave it at home and focus on the interview.
Old 9 May 2018, 07:46 AM   #14
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
If you are asking yourself this question, just leave it at home and focus on the interview.
Couldn't have sad it better.

Freshly shaven, clean cut, clothes looking nice, that's important. Nobody cares nor will notice if you have a watch though (in this scenario).
Old 9 May 2018, 07:48 AM   #15
Whitebirdiedk
Banned

Quote:

You got a point
Old 9 May 2018, 07:53 AM   #16
rogerlu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed!
Old 9 May 2018, 04:42 PM   #17
MrPorter_008
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15202ST
Quote:
Agreed with the above. You presented a case with only downside and no upside. If there is no benefit of wearing it (and I don't see there being any) then leave it at home. Good luck on your interview!
Old 9 May 2018, 07:49 AM   #18
B.B.B.
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner lv m
As long you’re presentable and ready to kill the interview it doesn’t matter.
Old 9 May 2018, 07:51 AM   #19
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
There is an older thread about this that went on and on if I remember correctly. Personally, I think I would be wearing long sleeves, so it really doesn't matter.

If it's short sleeves, I'd leave the Rolex at home. Wear it to work, not the interview...
Old 9 May 2018, 07:52 AM   #20
Whitebirdiedk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
There is an older thread about this that went on and on if I remember correctly. Personally, I think I would be wearing long sleeves, so it really doesn't matter.

If it's short sleeves, I'd leave the Rolex at home. Wear it to work, not the interview...

Thanks!
Old 9 May 2018, 07:51 AM   #21
Wizzle47
"TRF" Member

Don't overthink it, they won't even notice your watch unless you're flashing it in their face. I assume you'd be wearing a suit and it'll be hidden under your cuff anyway?
Old 9 May 2018, 07:52 AM   #22
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Assuming you’re wearing a button down and jacket it doesn’t matter, imo. I’ve always worn one
Old 9 May 2018, 07:53 AM   #23
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

Lol I wore my bluesy to an internship interview, no one cared. Ppl will notice but if anything it’ll just start conversations. I would only be self conscious about it if it was given as a gift, but if you work and earn your luxuries you have the right to wear as you please! Send it! :)
Old 9 May 2018, 07:54 AM   #24
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
It's the watch I wore interviewing for my current job. No one noticed, and still after a year no one knows what I've got on my wrist each day. Once got a comment about the LV just because it is green.
Old 9 May 2018, 07:56 AM   #25
Hramez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Philippe
Wear it , just be yourself , as a CEO
what I care for when I interview a candidate is seeing the real person in front of me .. so just act normal
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 May 2018, 07:56 AM   #26
Whitebirdiedk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hramez View Post
Wear it , just be yourself , as a CEO
what I care for when I interview a candidate is seeing the real person in front of me .. so just act normal
Good luck

Thank you
Old 9 May 2018, 07:58 AM   #27
bax_tron
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Wear it. Your performance is the only thing that will likely (or should) matter. And as an old baseball coach used to say: you gotta look good to play good.
Old 10 May 2018, 12:26 PM   #28
mwheatley
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax_tron View Post
Wear it. Your performance is the only thing that will likely (or should) matter. And as an old baseball coach used to say: you gotta look good to play good.

And if you play good, you look good.

Old 9 May 2018, 07:59 AM   #29
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Odds are the interviewer won't have any idea what a BLNR is, that it's a Rolex, that Rolex even does a blue and black watch or that they're a hard to get hot Rolex model. If most of it is obscured by your sleeve hell they might not even notice you have a Rolex on.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Old 9 May 2018, 08:01 AM   #30
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
Watch is part of my daily uniform. Would feel more self conscious about not having watch on wrist. Thus wearing it only option
Closed Thread