The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2019, 11:28 PM   #1
Rpotto18
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126300
Great 40th gift but.....

My wife secretly bought me a Date Just 41 white face oyster bracelet from an AD back in March when we were in Aruba. She just gave it to me for my 40th. Only thing is The piece I was going to purchase on my own had jubilee bracelet with silver face. It still in the box untouched. What’s my play here?
Rpotto18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:30 PM   #2
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
It was a gift so say thank you, wish her Happy Mother’s Day and enjoy. Anything else seems insensitive IMO...especially if your ever hope to receive such a sweet gift in the future.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 02:51 AM   #3
doramas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
It was a gift so say thank you, wish her Happy Mother’s Day and enjoy. Anything else seems insensitive IMO...especially if your ever hope to receive such a sweet gift in the future.
I agree
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:30 PM   #4
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpotto18 View Post
My wife secretly bought me a Date Just 41 white face oyster bracelet from an AD back in March when we were in Aruba. She just gave it to me for my 40th. Only thing is The piece I was going to purchase on my own had jubilee bracelet with silver face. It still in the box untouched. What’s my play here?
Sell to a grey dealer and lose 1-2k and biy the watch u want to
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:34 PM   #5
THC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Love the watch, and love the wife...
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 02:46 AM   #6
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by thc View Post
love the watch, and love the wife...
x3

I know you said she's onboard but she could also just be saying that to support you and the thought of swapping it could truthfully bother her. Nah, that would never happen
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:36 PM   #7
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41, Datej
Quote:
Sentimental value is priceless......... Unless she don't giv two hoots.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Merkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:37 PM   #8
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Very easy here. Go to the same AD or large enough AD that has their own watch repair staff with a Rolex service account, ask them to order you a jubilee bracelet. They are interchangeable. So now you get the best of both worlds with very different looks. Swap between them.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:42 PM   #9
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Very easy here. Go to the same AD or large enough AD that has their own watch repair staff with a Rolex service account, ask them to order you a jubilee bracelet. They are interchangeable. So now you get the best of both worlds with very different looks. Swap between them.

I agree. Order a jubilee bracelet and swap them every now and then. Maybe order a Rubber B as well to really switch it up!

Great gift, very thoughtful wife.
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:43 PM   #10
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not so fast. Most AD’s won’t be able to just order a jubilee because now Rolex would require a trade in of the older bracelet. So you would lose your old bracelet and still pay over $1500 for a new jubilee bracelet. This was what I was told when I tried to get a jubilee bracelet for my dj, so I just had to source one separately.

Best bet OP, just wear it and enjoy. It’s a lovely gift, and you will grow to enjoy and appreciate it. Even if it’s unworn I doubt the AD will take it back assuming the warranty card has already been filled out.
Old 12 May 2019, 11:46 PM   #11
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post

Even if it’s unworn I doubt the AD will take it back assuming the warranty card has already been filled out.
Especially considering AD is in Aruba and not around the corner.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:59 PM   #12
g_luck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesupremedunk View Post
Not so fast. Most AD’s won’t be able to just order a jubilee because now Rolex would require a trade in of the older bracelet. So you would lose your old bracelet and still pay over $1500 for a new jubilee bracelet. This was what I was told when I tried to get a jubilee bracelet for my dj, so I just had to source one separately.
Since when? I just asked my AD last week about ordering me a period correct Jubilee for my 16710 and there was no problem. I actually have two AD's that I have done business with and neither one have these crazy rules everyone is talking about. In fact I have an Explorer II Polar in my closet right now with all stickers on it waiting for me to run it by my AD to have it sized. I purchased it in a hurry and didn't have time to size it a couple of weeks ago. No issues with that at all and all hang tags are in the box.

Is this something AD's are only doing to people they suspect of flipping watches?

To OP, I'm with the other guys here....Love the watch and your wife! Stop by an AD and explain the situation and try and order a Jubilee. I wouldn't change the Face for a LONG time. Learn to enjoy the white. It looks killer and is also seen less. Beautiful watch.
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 12:01 AM   #13
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Exactly this. You could also change the dial to blue or black if you want as well.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
BzKneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:39 PM   #14
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
It is a fantastic watch and lovely size, wear it as often as you can and appreciate it, you have a great wife.

Everyday that you wear it will be a slightly better day.

How can a Rolex fan not like this watch, it is a lovely timepiece.

DJ41 -1.jpg
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:40 PM   #15
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Now i feel bad for telling u to sell it lol...
Thank god my wife doesnt ever buy me anything
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:40 PM   #16
Rpotto18
"TRF" Member

Well yes I’m incredibly grateful. And if can’t be changed I’ll wear it happily. I’m asking how to I go about getting the band and face changed. I’ve read older posts but in 2019 how to I go about doing it.
Old 12 May 2019, 11:42 PM   #17
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well yes I’m incredibly grateful. And if can’t be changed I’ll wear it happily. I’m asking how to I go about getting the band and face changed. I’ve read older posts but in 2019 how to I go about doing it.
Personally I think thats a no go route. Better to px.

Old 12 May 2019, 11:44 PM   #18
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Enjoy it as she chose it for you.
Later down the line, when it goes in for service, purchase the dial you prefer.
In that manner, will be less of a “I really didn’t like the one you chose for me” blow. Instead, it will just be time to change and update the gift she so thoughtfully gave you.
As to the bracelet, you can always buy a Jubilee and swap back and forth.

BTW, after 36 years married, I have learned they have way better taste than we do.
Old 12 May 2019, 11:41 PM   #19
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Trust your mates here and don't do a damned thing. That's a hell of a nice gift IMHO and should be appreciated, regardless of what you might have bought yourself.

Here's the thing...it took me a few months to fully appreciate my first Rolex that I bought myself for my 40th! You may end up loving it in due time. You never know...

One thing is for sure- you've got a hell of a partner there! I'm sure many TRF folks could attest to never receiving the same treatment from their spouses, especially with regard to appreciation of timepieces.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2019, 11:41 PM   #20
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Love it. In most cases women have better taste about these types of things anyway.
Old 12 May 2019, 11:48 PM   #21
Rpotto18
"TRF" Member

It’s not like she doesn’t know. She saw me looking at a dealer and thought it was the one I was looking at. She’s on board with changing. Do I have to go through Rolex directly?
Old 12 May 2019, 11:49 PM   #22
Merkaholic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s not like she doesn’t know. She saw me looking at a dealer and thought it was the one I was looking at. She’s on board with changing. Do I have to go through Rolex directly?
I think rsc.....

Old 13 May 2019, 12:03 AM   #23
Sjmoore11

Watch: Exp II - old & new
Thank her, wear it, love it. No other path makes sense here.
And work to pick up a jubilee (either RSC or in the classifieds here) so you can swap on occasion.
Sjmoore11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 12:09 AM   #24
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Well, tricky here. Now, here is the thing with this watch. The oyster bracelet is perhaps more versatile and is especially the case with a white dial. Keep it and enjoy it. After perhaps a year, you can begin to start dropping hints like you know they make another bracelet for this. Then add that. Wait another year and say you know, the dials are interchangeable and then add that. Rolex used to allow for dial changes though don’t know if they still so. But a gradual approach would be best.

However that piece she got you is perhaps the most versatile Rolex in production except the gmt ln, no longer in production.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 12:14 AM   #25
fsprow
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
If you change the watch and she divorces you, please post her contact information.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 12:16 AM   #26
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
If you change the watch and she divorces you, please post her contact information.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 12:17 AM   #27
nick c
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thc View Post
love the watch, and love the wife...
x2
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 12:19 AM   #28
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

How long have you been married?

That was a sweet and thoughtful gift. I’d never sell it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 May 2019, 12:33 AM   #29
Rpotto18
"TRF" Member

Guys, you are missing the point. There is no issue here with the wife. She is onboard with switching the bracelets or me just buying the jubilee. I was simply asking what was the best way of doing it. No divorce, No disrespect, No problems.
Old 13 May 2019, 12:45 AM   #30
g_luck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Guys, you are missing the point. There is no issue here with the wife. She is onboard with switching the bracelets or me just buying the jubilee. I was simply asking what was the best way of doing it. No divorce, No disrespect, No problems.
Easy then. Like I said earlier. Visit your local AD and explain the situation. They "should" order you a Jubilee. I wouldn't change the dial but that is me. Ask them about that. If you insist on changing the dial, and the AD won't, give LAWatchWorks a call. Bracelet should be a no brainer for a good AD.
g_luck is offline   Reply With Quote