The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 September 2019, 07:52 AM   #1
pianomankd
"TRF" Member

Oyster Perpetual 39 White - Will I Regret It?

Hey everyone,

I've been a longtime Omega owner but want to take my first step in the world of Rolex. I've been eyeing the "latest" OP39 in white. I think it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Two questions:

1 - Will I own it and wish I spent a little more money to get a Sub Date? (preceramic)

2 - To those who own the OP39 - any regrets otherwise? Still loving it?

Sorry, these probably sound like dumb questions, but I'm anxious/excited about my first Rolex purchase!!

- Kyler
pianomankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Not a dumb question but comparing two totally different pieces. One thing I can tell you is the price of pre-ceramic 5 digits Subs are climbing fast.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 11:56 AM   #3
sambb
"TRF" Member

I would get explorer 1 or DJ41 as first rolex
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 11:59 AM   #4
grimlock525
"TRF" Member

To answer your first question, if a pre-ceramic sub is what you would pick given no money or time constraints, then I would recommend you go for that. You will be much happier in the long run. My first Rolex is a 2005 Sub Date and I personally would pick it again 10 times out of 10. Good luck and welcome!
grimlock525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 10:50 PM   #5
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock525 View Post
To answer your first question, if a pre-ceramic sub is what you would pick given no money or time constraints, then I would recommend you go for that. You will be much happier in the long run. My first Rolex is a 2005 Sub Date and I personally would pick it again 10 times out of 10. Good luck and welcome!
This...I have learned the hard/expensive way to get what my heart desires from the get go. Nothing wrong with the white dial OP unless you want a Sub more.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2019, 01:42 PM   #6
Sub Capt.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock525 View Post
This exactly! My first was a 14060M be ause thats exactly what i wanted. Still love it to this day. Don’t get sucked into the hype. Its just a watch

T
Sub Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:00 PM   #7
csong825
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
So I just bought an OP 39 in white and I absolutely love it. To me, the dial is the star of the show. The color varies from pure white to eggshell white, to a light silver depending on the light. The size is perfect for most wrists. The bracelet is great like any other Oyster but I think the clasp could be a little more robust and I do miss the option of microadjustments on the fly. Overall, it is the clean simplicity of the watch that makes it a great everyday watch.

That being said, I already had a SubC no date. To state the obvious, they are 2 completely different watches. For me, the OP is more versatile and dresses up a little better than the Sub. The Sub is sportier with a better bracelet clasp, slightly better finishing, and it is essentially indestructible. I don’t think you’ll regret buying either watch. If for some reason you do, you could probably sell it with minimal loss or maybe even make money.

The most common answer to these kinds of questions on the forum seems to be “buy both.” That’s what I ended up doing and I have no regrets. Another common saying is buy the watch you want, not the one you can afford. If you want the sub more, save up a little and go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
csong825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 12:44 PM   #8
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Hard to say without knowing the rest of your collection.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:18 PM   #9
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

pianomankd
I had considered the OP39 with the white dial, although the dial is really nice and does have some pop, for me, the plain round bezel gives no pizzaz.
I did just buy a DJ41 (Wimbledon, WG fluted bezel, jubilee band) and did look at the all SS model, again for me, the bezel had no pop or pizzaz.
I wonder if you settling because of availability of other sport SS Rolex models?
Good luck.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:23 PM   #10
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

No, it’s awesome

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 07:56 PM   #11
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
No, it’s awesome

nice watch !
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:24 PM   #12
IR201
"TRF" Member

If you think you'll wind up regretting not getting a different, known and specific watch instead, chances are you actually want that different, known and specific watch more. As has been said, prices are rising fast on pre-ceramics, so I'd act now. I think you'll have an easier time getting an OP39 white down the road to pair with it, which I would definitely recommend.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:26 PM   #13
Brny11
"TRF" Member

White and black dials are stunning. Excellent watches! Though they don’t compare to a sub if that is ultimately what you want. Sub wouldn’t compare to a modern OP of that is what you wanted also, so I’d recommend waiting for sub if that’s your end game.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:35 PM   #14
snyde
"TRF" Member

Great watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8B660B80-6A5E-4FE9-A4F2-61C8E6B0A0AC.jpeg (270.4 KB, 1150 views)
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:54 PM   #15
58junior
"TRF" Member

Amazing how the 39mm looks so much bigger than the 40mm sub
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 06:36 AM   #16
RS89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58junior View Post
Amazing how the 39mm looks so much bigger than the 40mm sub
THIS^^^

The OP39 (especially with white dial) looks surprisingly big on the wrist.

I myself fell in love with the white OP39 from pictures online, ordered one from my AD, and when it came in and I tried it on was bummed by how much space it needlessly took up on the wrist...and I have a 7.5inch wrist so I can easily handle the size.

To the OP, try on the OP39 first and see if you're still hungry for it after seeing it on your wrist.
RS89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 01:57 PM   #17
whatsthetime?
"TRF" Member

Bought it because of it's timeless beauty and symmetry. And yes, I still love it and have no regrets, and never will.
IMG_0503.jpg
Old 10 September 2019, 02:00 PM   #18
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
You should get the watch that puts a smile on your face when you envision it on your wrist. I wouldn’t waste money on a watch that I didn’t want no matter how popular, lucrative, or “superior” it is.

AOW
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:26 PM   #19
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Get a sub. It ticks all boxes whereas the OP does not.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10 September 2019, 02:29 PM   #20
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianomankd View Post
Hey everyone,

I've been a longtime Omega owner but want to take my first step in the world of Rolex. I've been eyeing the "latest" OP39 in white. I think it looks absolutely gorgeous.

Two questions:

1 - Will I own it and wish I spent a little more money to get a Sub Date? (preceramic)

Sorry, these probably sound like dumb questions, but I'm anxious/excited about my first Rolex purchase!!

- Kyler
This. Typically I would say you'd have no regrets. It's a beautiful watch with amazing proportions. But since you've already expressed concerns that you'd rather have a sub, I'd save a little more and get the sub date straight away!

Unless you can get both, in which case I say go for it!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:57 PM   #21
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I do not think you ll regret it.
OP is a great all rounder. Great oyster bracelet.

I am guessing you are buying it new so you cannot go wrong. Buying pre-owned is sometimes tricky if you do not know very well what you are doing.

Get the OP, later on you can add a Sub date to compliment it.
Old 10 September 2019, 02:54 PM   #22
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Two questions:

- Kyler
I have an 2016 OP39 Rhodium and a brand new Sub ND. They are both stunning and I recommended both, funds permitting.
But check the Rhodium dial as well, it looks as good if not better than white.

Sent from my Tesla_SP9 using Tapatalk
belutak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 02:59 PM   #23
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

only regret will be not buying it sooner
Old 10 September 2019, 04:53 PM   #24
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Good to read the positive feedback on the 114300 White! I am buying a very gently pre owned one from a TRF forum member & original owner. I tried on the one with the grape dial, did not wear as big as I thought it would. I look forward to getting it!
Old 10 September 2019, 06:13 PM   #25
kaiei
"TRF" Member

The OP39 in white is lovely, and so is the black sunburst dial version.
You won't regret it - its so beautifully made, despite being labelled as an "entry-level Rolex".

Nothing entry-level about the OP39.
kaiei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 06:19 PM   #26
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

I picked up the white OP 39mm around 6 weeks ago. It was my first Rolex, and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying wearing it and haven't taken it off much since. The dial is great, the watch has fantastic lume, it's been highly accurate and it's super comfortable on the wrist. The watch looks great with a t-shirt, and equally as good with a shirt. You won't be disappointed if you get this watch.

The only drawback for me at the moment is the lack of on the fly adjustment in the form of an Easylink - I'm still trying to source one of these but it's proving quite tricky. A year or so ago this wouldn't have bothered me, but I've been a little spoilt with my Omega Seamaster clasp which has a great range of adjustment and now I'm used to having this feature. I wear the watch a little loose, and generally this doesn't bother me too much...

I plan on adding the Sub at a later date and think the pair will be a great black and white 1-2 combo, but the reason I went with the OP at this stage was a) I wanted to have something other than a diver in my collection and; b) Sub was a lot harder to find, and the acquisition of the OP will hopefully assist my efforts to find one. Maybe your current collection and availability will also play a part in determining your new watch, but either way you cannot go wrong with either of these watches.
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 06:22 PM   #27
tcheeco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Get it, no regrets. It’s the only OP I would buy...

Edit: I already bought it, lol
tcheeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 06:51 PM   #28
Boba Fett
"TRF" Member

Watch: Star Wars
There are no dumb questions, only dumb people.
The white dial OP is a great watch, my wife wears hers 24/7. Rolex has only one level unlike some watch companies, so it's every bit as good as anything else they make. That said a pre-ceramic sub will not have as solid a bracelet as a six digit reference, compare them and see what that does for you.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 07:20 PM   #29
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Great looking watch. I don't think you'd regret it but don't buy until you're 100% all in and don't look back.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2019, 07:19 PM   #30
A-Wax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey everyone,

Two questions:

- Kyler
I love my OP39 (Rhodium). For my first and possibly only Rolex, given it was marking a milestone age, I wanted the most versatile model possible and I feel like that's what I got. It's still a joy to look on when I wear it.
The only reason I would think you would regret it would be if you really wanted the data function or timing bezel.
A-Wax is offline   Reply With Quote