The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 31 March 2020, 03:24 AM   #1
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Greys not budging, just tried

Just tried to make an offer on a 116500 on chrono24
$19795 listed
Will not go any lower, even when mentioning 800 others listed
I dont know guys, I think everybody is going to hold out

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
Old 31 March 2020, 03:27 AM   #2
scottwmitch
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the update. If you don't mind me asking, was your offer close or was it significantly lower?
Old 31 March 2020, 03:29 AM   #3
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutelyROLEX! View Post
$19795 listed
Was it white or black? Thanks.
Old 31 March 2020, 03:38 AM   #4
Michael V
Banned

Watch: SD43
The reality of the situation hasn't hit them completely yet. We are still in shock mode.
Old 31 March 2020, 03:40 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If they can hold on they will hold on, with severe lockdowns in place this thing could start to turn in a couple of months, esp with public perception as the initial fear over this virus will have dissipated and the economist's voice will start to trump the medic's. With everyone now committed to combating this virus, this looks like a shorter term micro issue than a long term macro issue.
Old 31 March 2020, 05:05 AM   #6
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If they can hold on they will hold on, with severe lockdowns in place this thing could start to turn in a couple of months, esp with public perception as the initial fear over this virus will have dissipated and the economist's voice will start to trump the medic's. With everyone now committed to combating this virus, this looks like a shorter term micro issue than a long term macro issue.
I hope you are correct but I suspect you are very wrong.

If the OP was in the UK I would snap his hand off for that offer -and would indeed take considerably less.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:43 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyxxx View Post
I hope you are correct but I suspect you are very wrong.

If the OP was in the UK I would snap his hand off for that offer -and would indeed take considerably less.
I think not, unless this virus mutates to killing people under 60 at a 5% rate then it is politically untenable to cause a massive depression and millions in unemployment with society in chaos and deprivation, at least in the UK; so what will probably follow is in the summer things start to open up but older people will have to stay isolated for many more months, for them this will last a long time.
Old 31 March 2020, 03:41 AM   #8
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
$19795 listed
Hold out for how long?
The USA economy is now going to be shut down until May.
Let's see how long these watch dealers can go with no cash flow and just sit on inventory collecting dust.
Old 31 March 2020, 03:53 AM   #9
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Hold out for how long?
Let's see how long these watch dealers can go with no cash flow and just sit on inventory collecting dust.

I think once the virus has run its course and we’re getting back to normalcy AND there’s still much less interest in the BLROs, Daytona’s, Hulks...then it’ll come crashing down

The greys are holding out bc they think it’s just the virus that’s causing this
Old 31 March 2020, 07:06 AM   #10
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
I think once the virus has run its course and we’re getting back to normalcy AND there’s still much less interest in the BLROs, Daytona’s, Hulks...then it’ll come crashing down

The greys are holding out bc they think it’s just the virus that’s causing this
I think that's a good call on your part.
Old 31 March 2020, 04:06 AM   #11
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Hold out for how long?
Agree and I don't think the recovery will be an instant bounce back so it will put more pressure on them over the coming months.

Also ALL Greys with inventory would have to hold out. As soon as a couple start lowering prices the rest will have to follow or just sit on stock that no one will buy hoping pricing get back to an all time high.
Old 31 March 2020, 05:15 AM   #12
Andrew NYC
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hold out for how long?
I honestly think it'll take a few more months for prices to materially drop. A lot of the greys have low overhead and operate out of their homes, small office suites, etc. and those who have larger retail spaces likely haven't had more than a month or two of rent, salary, advertising costs since this thing begun here in the US. Also, based on the inflated market prices they have been enjoying over the past few years many greys may have squirreled away acorns so that they are able to ride something like this out, at least in the short term.

There's also the fact that once prices start to fall it can become a race to the bottom. Smart economics says no seller should lower their price but in challenging market conditions some sellers don't have that option. I suspect that while the temptation is there to drop prices to move inventory no one wants to make the first move. I don't remember clearly but I don't believe we saw massive fire sales in 2008 when the financial markets crashed. While this current situation may eclipse that I suspect that it will still take some time before the prices materially change more broadly.
Old 31 March 2020, 06:08 AM   #13
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
Quote:
Hold out for how long?
the US economy is not shut down. Stop spreading fake news. stop speaking in absolutes.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Old 31 March 2020, 06:15 AM   #14
Arcticsub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post
the US economy is not shut down. Stop spreading fake news. stop speaking in absolutes.
Nope, it's is shut down. The satellite pictures don't lie.

Satellite imagery combined with other photographic evidence and alternative data sources give a stark look at the U.S. situation: Airplanes are parked on unused runways, the busiest highways are empty during rush hour times, resorts have become ghost towns, ports are seeing sharp drops in shipping activity and more.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:07 AM   #15
Littletommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticsub View Post
Nope, it's is shut down. The satellite pictures don't lie.

Satellite imagery combined with other photographic evidence and alternative data sources give a stark look at the U.S. situation: Airplanes are parked on unused runways, the busiest highways are empty during rush hour times, resorts have become ghost towns, ports are seeing sharp drops in shipping activity and more.
Nope..the econony is not 'shut down'. That's a very broad and erroneous statement to make.

The economy has definitely tanked in some venues (particularly with my friends in the hospitality business), but the world/U.S. economy certainly is not 'shut down'. Where do people get these ideas? Too much TV?
Old 31 March 2020, 07:16 AM   #16
Ocog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletommy View Post
Nope..the econony is not 'shut down'. That's a very broad and erroneous statement to make.

The economy has definitely tanked in some venues (particularly with my friends in the hospitality business), but the world/U.S. economy certainly is not 'shut down'. Where do people get these ideas? Too much TV?
I'm just as perplexed as you. I think a lot of the individuals on this forum aren't the brightest of lights.

Hoping for the market to drop so that they can finally buy a piece they cannot truly afford. I'm not saying all of the people on this forum but majority.
Old 31 March 2020, 07:18 AM   #17
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletommy View Post

Well it pretty much has shut down in the UK.
'Where do people get these ideas?' Are you kidding?

The building industry, large and small - virtually all shut down
Builders merchants largely shut
Schools shut
Estate agents, hair salons, all retail (apart from food), most manufacturing – shut.
Call centres – skeleton staff
Leisure, Tourism, Hospitality, bars, restaurants shut
Sports events shut
Hotels largely shut
Old 31 March 2020, 11:46 AM   #18
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Hold out for how long?
The country may be shut down until May but the Market seems to think we have hit and passed the bottom. It's looking six months out. Wall Street may be feeling better.
Old 31 March 2020, 03:42 AM   #19
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
They can probably hold steady for months. Supply on a global scale isn't huge IMHO...This might all be over by the time they would have to sacrifice inventory...Just my two cents...
Old 31 March 2020, 04:30 AM   #20
djyolky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
They can probably hold steady for months. Supply on a global scale isn't huge IMHO...This might all be over by the time they would have to sacrifice inventory...Just my two cents...
They can't hold out for months because ADs are now/will be selling to first time customers at MSRP.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 31 March 2020, 05:02 AM   #21
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Supply chains are down right now so no new product. I see the prices softening at some point but only because owners will be selling creating abundant supply of used watches. Plus. I see the overall watch market softening from here. This cycle is running its course. It was overhyped and when that happens it eventually burns its self out. But their will always be a market for the used stuff so re-sellers will do fine if they buy right to maintain a sufficient margin to stay in business.
Old 31 March 2020, 03:45 AM   #22
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
It was a black
I just asked what his lowest would be

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
Old 31 March 2020, 04:05 AM   #23
hark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It was a black
Dealer probably doesn’t want to negotiate against himself. Many dealers simply won’t respond to ‘what’s your lowest prices’ inquiries. You’d need to offer him a number that you’re willing to pay, and if he says yes you really should buy..
Old 31 March 2020, 04:11 AM   #24
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by hark View Post
Dealer probably doesn’t want to negotiate against himself. Many dealers simply won’t respond to ‘what’s your lowest prices’ inquiries. You’d need to offer him a number that you’re willing to pay, and if he says yes you really should buy..

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 March 2020, 05:15 AM   #25
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Same. When I've sold a few watches in the past a "what's your lowest price" is given no response. If you really want it YOU need to make an offer.
Old 31 March 2020, 06:05 AM   #26
lastshotkid
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is true. Maybe get back to them with a number. Most of the sellers are very reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 March 2020, 06:18 AM   #27
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
This! When I'm selling something and someone asks "what is your lowest price?" I always respond with the price I listed. If you want to make me an offer, make me an offer but don't ask what my best price is.
Old 31 March 2020, 06:20 AM   #28
ap1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
This! When I'm selling something and someone asks "what is your lowest price?" I always respond with the price I listed. If you want to make me an offer, make me an offer but don't ask what my best price is.
Right, and it practically never ends in a completed sale. It’s a poor way to negotiate
Old 31 March 2020, 11:09 AM   #29
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41006 View Post
Agree. If you give a lower amount he will just haggle from that lower amount. I do that. But I’m also ready to throw a specific number when asked.
Old 31 March 2020, 04:07 AM   #30
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
It was a black

Asking what the lowest will be doesn’t usually work

Maybe you can message him/her and say “hey I can offer $19,000”

Something like that might work
Closed Thread