The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 May 2020, 05:06 AM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
GMT Trade for Sea-Dweller?

Last July, I miraculously purchased a Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO at retail from an AD whom I had little purchase history with. I thought I’d never get rid of it. I imagine it would kill the relationship if I sold it. I do worry about that in relation to the below prospect of getting rid of it.

However, looking at the 126603 two-tone Sea-Dweller, I’m very attracted. I love the look of it! I also love the idea of the higher than I’ll never need water resistance. The gold looks really sharp, but I hate scratches and wonder if the gold scratching would drive me crazy. However, I bet over time, it would start to look cool and patina-d.

While I have other watches, the goal of either of these two watches is to be an every day watch that I would wear to the boardroom, around town in jeans, and everything in-between. The addition of the glide lock clasp on the SD is a huge selling point to me, as I imagine myself adjusting it every day, maybe multiple times a day. The GMT feature is really just a novelty for me; I don’t travel a ton, so the jumping hour hand is also a novelty. I still think it’s cool, though.

Pepsi prices have crept back up to where I could pretty much do an even trade for a used SD. I can’t fully decide if I like it more than the Pepsi.

I’m not financially ready to spend another sum on a watch right now since I’m buying a house in the next year, and I also don’t want to trade my entire watch collection other than the Pepsi to afford the SD.

Rolex two-tone resell prices aren’t as favorable as their all-stainless counterparts, but I still quite like the look of them. My thought is that the prices where the used TTSD 126603 are now is about where they will stay for the long-run. Pepsi prices in the long-run will decrease as they become more available and fewer buyers are willing to spend the high premium. I’d be cashing in to trade up to a more expensive watch, and then down the road, I could rebuy a Pepsi for hopefully retail when the hype dies down in a few years or the prices aren’t astronomical in the grey market. The other option is that the resell value of the TTSD would hold around where they’re at to where I wouldn’t lose much money on the trade to where I could trade back to a Pepsi if I ever wanted it.

Just curious to hear any opinions on that trade, from a long-term perspective.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:29 AM   #2
zjd168
"TRF" Member

No one knows the future but if history is any guide, it will be unlikely in TT SD's (or any current rolex TT) favor. Yes the BLRO grey price may drop from the current level, so will the TT SD as well, maybe even faster.

But if you like the TT SD more then definitely should go for it.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:38 AM   #3
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Sorry would not do that trade. The Pepsi is a totally unique watch that you will surely miss. The TT SD is nice and all, but I can imagine not great for daily use and it is much bigger. The Pepsi is a perfect everyday wearer IMHO, has a little bling, a little tool-ness, and tons of character.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:47 AM   #4
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The current TT SD is selling for less than MSRP on the secondary market. The current SS SD is selling for higher than MSRP.

You should get whatever watch you want, but if you are concerned with resale you should avoid TT. I personally love the SS version. And if you want to wear it around town with jeans I would definitely suggest the stainless version. The TT is a little flashy in comparison.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:47 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
The current TT SD is selling for less than MSRP on the secondary market. The current SS SD is selling for higher than MSRP.

You should get whatever watch you want, but if you are concerned with resale you should avoid TT. I personally love the SS version. And if you want to wear it around town with jeans I would definitely suggest the stainless version. The TT is a little flashy in comparison.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:53 AM   #6
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Have what you want the most. You only live once. I would keep what I have, do the important stuff like house buying, then add the SD at a later date.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 05:57 AM   #7
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I wouldn’t personally. The Pepsi is gorgeous....and if you regretted it, it would be an expensive move back.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 06:01 AM   #8
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
The Pepsi is more versatile. I would keep the Pepsi and add a TT at some future date.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 06:01 AM   #9
mschafer
"TRF" Member

Isn’t the acquisition the best part of this...shortest answer, whatever makes you happy. My personal view on this would be to hold on to the gmt, any gmt really. It’s my fav. And if the need for a TT diver doesn’t subside, I’d get a blue faced Sub, which makes it really beachy/summery. But get a house first, once you own, there’s always an opportunity to spend money. From roof, to painting to gardening. Never underestimate “the money pit”, but still one of the moves you can make. Congrats...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 06:05 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I would not do that trade but I’m not you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 06:23 AM   #11
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Just curious to hear any opinions on that trade, from a long-term perspective.
Why not? I suspect many here will disagree though.

If I'd got lucky and snagged a BLRO at RRP I'd make that swap. I'd never seek out a GMT II but if it was there for the taking I'd buy and trade it up for sure.

126603 much more size, heft and presence for me. GMT II is too small and with the jubilee is too feminine. Great woman's watch these days though.

Glidelock on the SD as you mention ensures you always have the right fit, works briliantly.

As regards buying the TT SD, it holding it's value and later trading back to the Pepsi...buy what you like then you can't go wrong. I don't like the Pepsi much so I wouldn't be thinking to trade my way back to it.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 06:24 AM   #12
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
It's a no.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 06:28 AM   #13
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
To me the Pepsi is cool, I don't necessarily think the hype is warranted but I think the TT SD is spectacular and so I say go for it...
Old 28 May 2020, 06:31 AM   #14
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

Wouldn't trade. Glidelock is also a "novelty" if you think about it. The easy link is far more practical and I doubt you'll be adjusting multiple times a day. Maybe the honeymoon phase but that's it. The GMT is much better as an everyday.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 07:21 AM   #15
Handey0465
Banned

Watch: 126711CHNR
I would do it immediately. Pepsi is overrated and much more common than a TT SkyDweller...
Handey0465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 07:39 AM   #16
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
X2 It's a no.
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 08:12 AM   #17
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
If that’s the watch you want I would totally do that trade. You got the Pepsi at retail so you come out way ahead. I live life for today, not the future so the potential future value doesn’t come into play with my watches.
With that being said you should try the TT SD on to make sure. Like others have said, if you regret it you won’t be able to easily undo the mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 08:31 AM   #18
k_buckle
Banned

That's a huge decision to make, the rarity and uniqueness of Pepsi GMT could give you a little regret if you let it go without tangible reasons and am very certain that you will miss it.
k_buckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 08:50 AM   #19
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Since your post mentioned resale value then you must pass on the trade
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 08:51 AM   #20
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would stick with the GMT. Regarding depth rating unless you're actively diving with the watch the GMT gives you plenty of water resistance. The multi timezones function is more important to me over anything the SeaDweller has to offer. I don't worry about residual value, future value, etc. etc. when I make a decision to buy a watch.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 09:01 AM   #21
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
I would trade that gmt for 126603 in a heartbeat,I’m my eyes the 126603 blows that Pepsi out of the water looks wise.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 09:21 AM   #22
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

You add, never trade/sell to buy. Consolidating pieces up to a grail yes I can see that but other than that don’t do it.

Save and add save and add. Don’t be greedy and impatient

I made the mistake of trading a few pieces back in the day and I regret I should never have done it as I’ll never be able to get back into some of those pieces.
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 09:42 AM   #23
CaptT
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Interesting dilemma, and such a personal decision. I *love* the new and old Sea-Dweller line, saw the TT SD43 a few months back and thought it would be such a cool watch to own but not as my everyday watch (unless it was a gift or I won it). While my love for the SD line is still strong, I'm pulled to the GMT models for their functionality and color (both BLRO and BLNR). However unlike you I haven't owned one, so I don't know if I'd do that trade.

I do wish I had a 126603 to trade you though for your 126710!

Either way, good luck, and get what makes you happy!
CaptT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 09:46 AM   #24
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Try the TT on to make sure...it wears significantly bigger and heavier. I had one, it was great but was just big enough that I ended up not really loving it. Granted, I don't really love the pepsi either...a ND sub or hulk on the other hand...Id be telling you to keep.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:06 AM   #25
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I have no clue how these watches will compare financially.

As someone who has both, I’d lean to the BLRO, because I travel a lot. But if I were someone who didn’t use the GMT complication, I think I’d take the 126603, it’s just more beautiful and maybe a bit more mature. I’m torn between keeping my BLRO or trading it for a two tone ceramic GMT just because I like the two tone and black dial/bezel Rolexes, so much.

4F0670B4-D6D6-4617-85F5-D22E69AD6EE6.jpeg
AFB1B86A-5513-4CE6-AFE7-5286C762FC2D.jpeg

But then I look at that pic of the BLRO. Maybe I’ll keep it and get a TT sub?

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:08 AM   #26
neekon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Pepsi, Bond60
I personally wouldnt do it, but I am partial to the GMT watches.

I was recently able to get the GMT Batman at retail, and I felt extremely lucky and happy when the watch ive wanted for 5yrs was available to me at retail. I would never sell it for any amount of money.
If the Pepsi was that watch for you, you will definitely regret trading it.
neekon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 10:50 AM   #27
JohnnyBer
"TRF" Member

I'd keep the GMT as I wouldn't count on adding a BLRO at retail again anytime soon. The TT SD will be available for a good price down the road. Also, the GMT wins for daily wear comfort.
JohnnyBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 11:10 AM   #28
Rolex_AG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I would not be going two tone. It is soft on the secondary market as others have mentioned.

The GMT is an iconic watch. Perhaps the Pepsi doesn’t sing to you, try the Batman or batgirl.

Bottom line, keep the GMT
Rolex_AG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 11:53 AM   #29
chillex
"TRF" Member

I would keep GMT for sure. You can get SD anytime. Unless you really sick of looking at GMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 12:02 PM   #30
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
I prefer the GMT as it has the extra complication to satisfy the WIS in me.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote