The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 September 2020, 11:40 AM   #1
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
AD secret stash

Can someone explain the logic of the watches “in the back”?

Stopped at an AD today to see what they had. Have no relationship with this location. Made some lovely small talk with the SA, clearly demonstrated (I’d say) that I’m not a flipper and know Rolex fairly well. He showed me the assortment of watches available: it’s what you’d expect. No SS sports models, of course, though they did have some YMs, including the the 37mm SS one with the silver dial/platinum bezel, which I have to admit looks better in the metal than it does in pictures. Anyway, after a few minutes he tells me he has a few things I might be interested in in the safe and he comes back with another YM (different configuration) and a TT SD. Neither tempted me and I left without purchasing a watch (picked up some earrings for the wife).

Why not just put these items in the case? And would I be right to assume that he brought out certain things for me but presumably had some other stuff back there that would have materialized if I were a big deal?

I get the point, I suppose, of keeping a super-desirable piece in the back to help seal the deal if a whale comes in and you need to make that person feel super awesome. But these didn’t strike me as super deal-sealer items. I’m confused by the tactic here.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 11:45 AM   #2
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

That's is how it's work my friend.... My daytona and BLNR came from the secret safe.. (but first i received the call... The happy call ��)

To be honest many things happens in AD around the world
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 11:46 AM   #3
holdingon
"TRF" Member

they get new pieces every week. there is no order on the list...if they like you then its yours....end of story.
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 11:48 AM   #4
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatekCartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
they get new pieces every week. there is no order on the list...if they like you then its yours....end of story.
Agree... but mostly for us VIP’s they like
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 11:54 AM   #5
swink6112
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Robot Watch
Quote:
^^ This!
swink6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:30 PM   #6
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
Quote:
yup, happened to me.
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 11:46 AM   #7
1665fan
"TRF" Member

They are hoping you think they are rare and desireable, by them keeping them in the back....but if you know neither of those are watches sell over retail and not very desireable
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 11:46 AM   #8
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
My AD tells me they keep them out of sight because people get angry seeing them and being told they are reserved for VIPs.

People get touchy about these things, especially when they know they can’t attain the VIP label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 11:49 AM   #9
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
There’s no secret safe.

It’s just a safe.

It’s now been manipulated to enhance scarcity and the mystique that a retailer has some Golden Ticket only special people know about.

Besides, why display things that apparently don’t exist or could be easily stolen if they did?

Insurance premiums only go up
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 11:55 AM   #10
dmash
2024 Pledge Member

LOL @ at an AD pulling out the 'mystical' YM and TT SD as some ploy. Should have whipped out Chrono24 showing how not in demand those actually are. Play the game both ways
dmash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 12:05 PM   #11
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

These days, anything that will sell very quickly, basically stays in the back. Depending on how much they like you, or how big of a sale they need to make will determine how much of it they'll bring out to you.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 12:12 PM   #12
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Had an interesting visit at an LA dealer last February. I just stepped in to browse and the SA spotted my 116500 on Oysterflex right away. One case had nothing but tutone Datejusts in it. Without saying a word she opened a drawer under the counter and pulled out three SS variations. Nothing I wanted but when asked she said that they did not put them in the case because they knew they were in more demand so they kind of sized up the customer first.
As far as “hot models” they never see the case at my AD as they’re all presold to existing customers.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 12:16 PM   #13
noshake
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
My AD told me they do that to prevent flippers and out of towners from coming in and buying up merchandise. When I received my watch they went to the safe to get it. While I was there another gentleman came to pick up his watch which was also in the back.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
noshake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:03 PM   #14
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

it's nice to have your hand in the cookie jar... ahhhhh
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:03 PM   #15
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

There’s always been a “safe” in the back.

I think now everyone knows about it so it’s possibly mind games to make you think that the model is a hot one.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:04 PM   #16
rolexonlywatch
Banned

Watch: DJ2 41mm Winbledon
They keep those high demand watches to offer bundle sales.

rolexonlywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:06 PM   #17
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Please tell me what "reserved for VIPs means?" I would assume as soon as a watch comes in the salesperson gets on the phone and goes down the list of whales until one says yes. Probably a done deal within a day. Do they keep some in the safe waiting for the whale to randomly walk in the door a week or a month later?
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:16 PM   #18
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Why sell a sub or daytona to some schmo (like me :D ) when it can be a deal closer with a PM purchase? And it keeps flippers from cleaning them out the second they come in. Heck if anyone is going to flip a watch might as well be the person who owns the biz.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:26 PM   #19
Edwardk1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 36mm datejust
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Why sell a sub or daytona to some schmo (like me :D ) when it can be a deal closer with a PM purchase? And it keeps flippers from cleaning them out the second they come in. Heck if anyone is going to flip a watch might as well be the person who owns the biz.
Are ADs allowed to sell for more than retail to people or grey market dealers? I dont get the point of keeping it in the safe if they could easily sell certain watches same day they recieve them.
Edwardk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:29 PM   #20
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardk1 View Post
Are ADs allowed to sell for more than retail to people or grey market dealers? I dont get the point of keeping it in the safe if they could easily sell certain watches same day they recieve them.

The invoice has to be MSRP. ADs are allowed however to ask you to buy something else before they sell it to you, or simply not sell it to you.

They’re kept in the safe to avoid having to answer questions like ‘why can’t I buy it’.

teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:33 PM   #21
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Cant stash it too long ,otherwise next allocation piece wont be delivered .
Rolex knows exactly what is at every AD worldwide....
Delivered and then the card is swiped when sold ,easy to know via the central system .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:34 PM   #22
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardk1 View Post
Why advertise and shut the door on other options?

They can sell at full MSRP to a reseller and get a bird dog back or package the MSRP Rolex with slower movers thus relieving themselves from interest charges or potential losses discounting other items.

In essence, the Rolex is used to move other items and develop wholesaler relationships for trade ins and resale businesses. In some cases, I wouldn’t be surprised if ADs bankroll the resellers or even have their own legal corporate entity sending goods back and forth.
Old 15 September 2020, 01:38 PM   #23
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Safe is also for safety reasons ,having everything in the open draws the attention of 'weaponed flippers with ill intend" ....
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:39 PM   #24
Chewbacca
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Safe is also for safety reasons ,having everything in the open draws the attention of 'weaponed flippers with ill intend" ....
That too.
Old 15 September 2020, 01:42 PM   #25
tpool
"TRF" Member

AD secret stash

I visited a large jewelry chain AD that had recently built a new Rolex two room showroom next to their Patek showroom. So in the Rolex area they had all this new fancy cabinetry but with only display spots for a few watches. Patek had probably 3 times the number of watches on display. Once the sales associate & mgr questioned me, they brought a tray from a drawer below the glass case with a lot more watches. They have no intention of displaying any Rolex watch for sale except the ones that are difficult to move. This is the new Rolex retail model. That boutique was built to show nothing but an upscale environment and the secluded “viewing” room for those they choose to sell to.

tpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2020, 01:46 PM   #26
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
I’ve had the old we have nothing in the back routine before. When I kept pushing the right person, what do u know, a SD43 and Hulk appeared from the back safe. Bought both, about 1.5 years apart. I’ve caught them in several lies over the years as it’s a small world of people who frequent the same ADs.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote