The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 January 2021, 04:00 AM   #1
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

Nipple dial for my 16808

I have an 16808 70XXXXX series serial number that when I got it had this dial on it

would like to put the correct nipple dial on it.

I found this one for sale, does it look like the real thing or aftermarket?

Assuming I find a real nipple dial does my original dial have some value in exchange or for sale? It is in very good condition as you may see.

I just don't want to put some crappy distressed nipple dial to replace my pristine one, so I suppose I need to look hard and long for a good nipple dial.
Modiferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:23 AM   #2
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

That dial is in terrible condition. Is it super cheap?
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:39 AM   #3
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

It is in fact very inexpensive, which is why I wondered if it was even real.

But...I've seen far worse looking nipple dials where they are asking 5X more.

Here's one that they are asking a little over 3X more than the one I post above. The markers do look better but the first impact visual of the dial is pretty bad.
Old 1 February 2021, 11:08 AM   #4
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

Here's another. It's in good shape, but it's greenish, which I suppose some might view as coveted. And it's $3000.

Old 29 December 2021, 02:47 AM   #5
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

Between say, a 1980 or 1981 16808 like mine or this one:
https://watchrapport.com/products/ro...980-like-new-1
and say a 1987 16808 like this one:
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-su...6808-blue.html

was the only change over the years the Nipple Dial? The hands and bezel stayed the same on the 16808?
Old 29 December 2021, 04:11 AM   #6
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modiferous View Post
I have an 16808 70XXXXX series serial number that when I got it had this dial on it

would like to put the correct nipple dial on it.

I found this one for sale, does it look like the real thing or aftermarket?

Assuming I find a real nipple dial does my original dial have some value in exchange or for sale? It is in very good condition as you may see.

I just don't want to put some crappy distressed nipple dial to replace my pristine one, so I suppose I need to look hard and long for a good nipple dial.

Did you just put the words hard, long and nipple into the same sentence? And you’re only talking about a watch!

I think it looks good with dial already in there. But I guess it’s you who needs to be happy with it.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2021, 05:50 AM   #7
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
you might be better off selling this one as is and getting one with a nipple dial you like if they are that expensive to replace with an original dial. But you are right, out of all three, the first one looks the best. But the lume plots do not look attractive IMHO. I see two other options.
1 - Purchase this dial and see if perhaps Michael Young could work some magic with a dial restoration http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/, which is one of the services he offers. I would get the gold markers cleaned up and re-lumed too.
2 - I have heard Rolex still has some Nipple dials for the GMTs but with luminova plots instead of Tritium. Not sure if that is teh case for a 16800. If you went that route, which may take an email or letter of interest to the Geneva headquarters as I don't think the USA RSC would do it or even know of this option, then they would probably replace the hands too with luminova. Then you would have a period looking watch that has active lume. Good luck!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 03:01 AM   #8
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
2 - I have heard Rolex still has some Nipple dials for the GMTs but with luminova plots instead of Tritium. Not sure if that is teh case for a 16800. If you went that route, which may take an email or letter of interest to the Geneva headquarters as I don't think the USA RSC would do it or even know of this option, then they would probably replace the hands too with luminova. Then you would have a period looking watch that has active lume. Good luck!
The one U.S. Rolex AD I talked to said something about how Rolex for some time now has had a policy of not replacing any parts on Rolexes older than 30 years unless they have the parts in stock. But, that doesn't really say much? and it wasn't exactly clear to me what the AD was saying anyway?

That they would not replace any parts on older Rolexes at all, if old parts not in stock? or would replace them only with newer parts?

I also cannot figure out how to EMAIL Rolex in Geneva directly.
Old 29 December 2021, 11:35 AM   #9
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

I’ve located a perfect or near perfect 16808 nipple dial but asking $4000. which includes the bezel and hands. Still even at $4000 or close a perfect dial is better than paying around $3000. for one of the distressed dials I pictured above.
I don’t think I need the bezel and hands? was what I was wondering.

Yes someone else suggested getting the watch factory serviced and having them put the “correct” nipple dial in but I read horror stories of people with Red submariners having a hard time getting Rolex to install a correct red service dial in cases where the original dial was trashed and had to be replaced.
Old 29 December 2021, 07:10 PM   #10
rootbeer7
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modiferous View Post
I’ve located a perfect or near perfect 16808 nipple dial but asking $4000. which includes the bezel and hands. Still even at $4000 or close a perfect dial is better than paying around $3000. for one of the distressed dials I pictured above.
I don’t think I need the bezel and hands? was what I was wondering.

Yes someone else suggested getting the watch factory serviced and having them put the “correct” nipple dial in but I read horror stories of people with Red submariners having a hard time getting Rolex to install a correct red service dial in cases where the original dial was trashed and had to be replaced.
I’d take this deal if all checks out. Hands and dial matching are a bonus and you can sell bezel separately if necessary.
Old 30 December 2021, 02:04 PM   #11
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

I guess that $4000. deal for the nipple dial / hands / bezel was a good deal because it already sold. I have to keep looking...or consider the Rolex factory service option.
Old 1 February 2022, 04:11 AM   #12
TimeLord2

The guy behind the counter I spoke with at RSC in BH, CA said they would insist on replacing the dial, hands and insert and suggested I just use a CW21 certified watchmaker. This was not the case as they did agree to not replace any of those parts (dial and hands…) and just service the watch. They did insist on replacing the insert, which was not correct (1675/8 version not 1675/3…) but would have also returned the one that was on the watch. This, after I paid for their authentication, which was required prior to them agreeing to service the watch and took about 4-6 weeks. I never did get it serviced through RSC though.

This was part of a longer conversation on Luminova dials. Somebody posted this in response to something I said. It's a GMT 1675 service nipple dial with Luminova plots, and hands, says SWISS at the bottom instead of the usual T SWISS T. https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=814463

As far as contacting Rolex, Geneva, I googled and found this, which also has a phone number: https://headquartersof.com/rolex-headquarters-contacts/
Perhaps call and ask for the email address?
Old 3 February 2022, 02:27 AM   #13
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

I received an email back from Rolex USA (following up from another email I received from Rolex Geneva) and they said that the nipple dial has not been available through either service center (US or Switzerland) for "many years" and that the only available dial through Rolex is the same style I have on my watch now, available in either blue or black. So service through Rolex to get a nipple dial is not currently an option.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM   #14
Modiferous
"TRF" Member

I still have this on my mind, but what I have realized is that to change the dial alone to Nipple might not be enough.

Apparently the bezels too are different on Nipple Dial watches versus later 16808s.

(You have to read the thread to understand exactly what is going on here.)

You see the Nipple Dial bezels have a more three dimensional nib at the top:

versus on the 16808s that came later:

Old Today, 02:33 AM   #15
TimeLord2

It's been quite a while… Are you still looking for a dial? And I suppose hand set and bezel insert now. Does the 16808 share the same feet as on the 1680/8. Are they interchangeable? I'm assuming not, as the movement is different 3035 versus 1675. Would it make more sense just to sell your watch and get one with the attributes you are looking for? Still a beautiful watch but it might save you a lot of time and effort just to sell at a small loss or perhaps break even or even get a better deal. Options.

Tags
16808 , nipple dial