The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 September 2021, 12:59 AM   #1
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Lap Swimming with Rolex Gold

Howdy everyone!

I am a beginning lap swimmer. I recently bought a two tone Datejust, which I want to wear daily.

I plan to swim after work, before going home.

I would rather wear the watch than leave it in my car, or locker, or swim bag, as I believe the wrist is the safest place for the watch to be (so long as you'r not walking down a dark alley in some sketchy neighborhood at 3am).

A long time ago, I saw a thread here on the forum, where some guy went swimming with a two tone Datejust, and the chemicals in the water altered the color or the gold.

If I'm not mistaken though, the chemicals in the pool were off, and Rolex fixed it under warranty.

But I thought I'd ask to be sure.

Any weird consequences of swimming in a public pool, with chlorine in it, with a two tone watch?

I know the steel will be fine, more concerned about the gold.

Thanks and happy Friday!

owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 01:08 AM   #2
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
On the days you go to the pool, could you leave the watch at home and get a more functional watch for swimming and sports? There are so many fantastic sports related watches that would really improve your overall swimming experience.

You can time laps, monitor your heartrate, track your distance and overall laps, you can have it keep track of your times and compare them to previous sessions, you can even swim against your friends or people online also using the watch. It's incredible what some of these smart watches can do and it actively engages you in the sports in ways you haven't really thought about. Plus they are inexpensive.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 02:51 AM   #3
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
On the days you go to the pool, could you leave the watch at home and get a more functional watch for swimming and sports? There are so many fantastic sports related watches that would really improve your overall swimming experience.

You can time laps, monitor your heartrate, track your distance and overall laps, you can have it keep track of your times and compare them to previous sessions, you can even swim against your friends or people online also using the watch. It's incredible what some of these smart watches can do and it actively engages you in the sports in ways you haven't really thought about. Plus they are inexpensive.
Hi and thanks for the response. I have thought of buying a watch specifically for swimming, but I also love the idea of giving the Datejust a good life.

Using it for EVERYTHING.

But we'll see.

My Speedmaster would be a cool watch to swim with, but I probably shouldn't. That, and its bigger size might get in the way of a rookie like me.

Thank you!
Old 11 September 2021, 02:58 AM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl. View Post
Hi and thanks for the response. I have thought of buying a watch specifically for swimming, but I also love the idea of giving the Datejust a good life.

Using it for EVERYTHING.

But we'll see.

My Speedmaster would be a cool watch to swim with, but I probably shouldn't. That, and its bigger size might get in the way of a rookie like me.

Thank you!
Yeah, you're good with your DJ. I would not swim with a speedy, especially if you're thinking to use it as a timer!

I would definitely consider getting a sports oriented watch, perhaps with some smart functionality.
Chadridv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:21 AM   #5
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Yeah, you're good with your DJ. I would not swim with a speedy, especially if you're thinking to use it as a timer!

I would definitely consider getting a sports oriented watch, perhaps with some smart functionality.
Very good point, about using the chrono in water haha

Thanks!
Old 11 September 2021, 01:11 AM   #6
Brew
"TRF" Member

I’ve never had a problem swimming laps at the gym wearing my TT DJ. It does take a shot or two on the lane lines every now and then, if I have to share a lane. But I’ve not noticed any other issues.

Best watch winder I know of, fyi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 01:17 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
A Rolex will likely hold up just fine in a pool, and gold is likely to fare better than the steel.

I would question the reasoning for this if it is unavoidable, but it won't hurt it any more than any other piece of jewelry.
Old 11 September 2021, 03:17 AM   #8
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A Rolex will likely hold up just fine in a pool, and gold is likely to fare better than the steel.

I would question the reasoning for this if it is unavoidable, but it won't hurt it any more than any other piece of jewelry.
Thanks. I was asking because online it said that anything less than 24k gold, is an alloy, and the chlorine might damage the other things in the 18k alloy, which would cause a change of color and what not.

As far as why swim with it, eh, I just think it's cool to wear it daily, and if I'm already wearing it, jump in the pool with it.

I do wear an skx013 every now and again, but that one is obviously not a problem.
Old 11 September 2021, 05:28 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Thanks. I was asking because online it said that anything less than 24k gold, is an alloy, and the chlorine might damage the other things in the 18k alloy, which would cause a change of color and what not.

. . .
75% Gold, 20% silver, 5% copper...... I think that you're fine with the small levels of chlorine found in a typical pool.
Old 11 September 2021, 06:30 AM   #10
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
75% Gold, 20% silver, 5% copper...... I think that you're fine with the small levels of chlorine found in a typical pool.
Gosh, how do you know the breakdown?! I feel like that would be a deep Rolex secret.
Old 11 September 2021, 03:11 AM   #11
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I’ve never had a problem swimming laps at the gym wearing my TT DJ. It does take a shot or two on the lane lines every now and then, if I have to share a lane. But I’ve not noticed any other issues.

Best watch winder I know of, fyi.

Awesome thanks Brew! Love your watch by the way!
Old 11 September 2021, 01:21 AM   #12
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
No I made and posted a pic of myself in a hot tub with a gold watch and everyone freaked and shared the thread you’re talking about.

I’ve only ever owned two tone or gold watches for my first 10 years of collection I never had a steel watch and zero problems anywhere, I don’t take my watch off no matter what I’m upto :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:19 AM   #13
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
No I made and posted a pic of myself in a hot tub with a gold watch and everyone freaked and shared the thread you’re talking about.

I’ve only ever owned two tone or gold watches for my first 10 years of collection I never had a steel watch and zero problems anywhere, I don’t take my watch off no matter what I’m upto :)
Nice! That's kinda my way to enjoy watches too.

Have you experienced any discoloration of the gold after swimming?
Old 15 September 2021, 02:01 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post

I vaguely remember that Jay. Link?
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 02:05 AM   #15
Master_Grogu
Banned

I wouldn’t like to swim with a watch. There are other ways to train, especially now thanks to technology.

However Rolex are made from special proprietary materials that aren’t existing anywhere else and are exempt from any kind of agression from acids or chemicals such as chlorine.
Master_Grogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:20 AM   #16
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Grogu View Post
I wouldn’t like to swim with a watch. There are other ways to train, especially now thanks to technology.

However Rolex are made from special proprietary materials that aren’t existing anywhere else and are exempt from any kind of agression from acids or chemicals such as chlorine.
Many thanks for the response.

I'm not too serious about training. I am simply learning for fun, not to compete.

If I am ever good enough to take it seriously, I will consider other options!
Old 11 September 2021, 03:17 AM   #17
ks58
Banned

Get a garmin which I plan to get soon as well for swimming.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:26 AM   #18
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
You will be safe with your watch in a chlorine environment (assuming it is 18K Yellow Gold.)
Mine have been in chlorine pools many times with no effects.
I DID read somewhere of a ROSE GOLD watch whose gold was tarnished from being in a hot tub that used Bromine chemicals. I do not do hot tubs or rose gold so I have no real experience to share with that.

And you are right - the watch is safest on your arm and NOT ever left in your car, locker, gym bag, etc. "Out of possession, out of a watch" is a good term to remember.

We occasionally read posts at TRF of watches stolen from cars, lockers, etc.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 03:35 AM   #19
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
You will be safe with your watch in a chlorine environment (assuming it is 18K Yellow Gold.)
I DID read somewhere of a ROSE GOLD watch whose gold was tarnished from being in a hot tub that used Bromine chemicals. I do not do hot tubs or rose gold so I have no real experience to share with that.

And you are right - the watch is safest on your arm and NOT ever left in your car, locker, gym bag, etc. "Out of possession, out of a watch" is a good term to remember.

Thanks!

I wanted to ask, how would I know if they used Bromine or chlorine?

Should I ask at the front desk?

It's just a public pool, I assumed they use Chlorine
Old 20 January 2022, 02:27 AM   #20
Carondelet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, 116900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post

Good call out regarding the Rose Gold.

Does anyone know if Rolex Rose Gold would be affected? I think Rolex's rose gold is a gold, copper, and platinum alloy. While gold is relatively inert, I'd naturally expect raw copper to react with chlorine or bromine in a pool.

That being said, I believe that the Rolex rose gold contains high amounts of platinum to specifically prevent tarnishing.
Old 11 September 2021, 05:14 AM   #21
Brew
"TRF" Member

Frat boy pool?

Old 11 September 2021, 06:29 AM   #22
owl.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Frat boy pool?

Public pool. That I pay $3 to get into.

Mostly old men and women swimming. It is also lanes only, no dive board or recreational swimming.
Old 11 September 2021, 06:33 AM   #23
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Public pool. That I pay $3 to get into.

Mostly old men and women swimming. It is also lanes only, no dive board or recreational swimming.

I was just playing with “Bro”mine. Sorry for being so vague.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11 September 2021, 07:48 AM   #24
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Enjoy your laps that will give you the longevity in life to wear that Rolex much longer!!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 08:11 AM   #25
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I don't know anything about pools or chemicals, but I do know a gym locker only keeps the honest people out.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 08:35 AM   #26
marselluswallace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116506
For many years when I had my gold Yachtmaster I wore it for gym/swim three times a week including 100 Olympic sized pool lengths per session,long hot tub soak and steam room / sauna.
When I sold it it was still literally as brand new.
marselluswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 08:05 PM   #27
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
when you get out of the pool rinse with tap water
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 08:23 PM   #28
Brew
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention, as marselluswallace points out, the watch will be kept spotless, and it will retain that new oyster bracelet squeak for at least a year.

Win/win!

Old 11 September 2021, 10:08 PM   #29
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

If the chlorine levels in your local pool start screwing with your watch, you should be more concerned about what it’s doing to your mouth, throat and stomach linings!
I have never had a problem with gold in a pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 10:16 PM   #30
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I spent years swimming laps at the Y 30 years ago. I wore my Seiko dive watch without any visible consequences from the water. I recently had it serviced. It was cleaned but not polished because the service dept determined it was like new and didn’t need a polishing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk