The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 November 2021, 12:41 PM   #1
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Would you rather?

Would you rather have watches freely available at retail and trading for less than msrp on the grey market, or the world we have today?
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 12:45 PM   #2
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Today
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:02 PM   #3
Koolpep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller TT Jub
Quote:
Originally Posted by eanzenberg View Post
Would you rather have watches freely available at retail and trading for less than msrp on the grey market, or the world we have today?

It would be nice if we could all remove the bragging and flexing about getting watches for MSRP and all the shenanigans needed to achieve that. Imagine we could focus on collecting watches and enjoying them, rather than competing, pumping and dumping, trading like commodities.

But realistically, there seems to be no end in sight unless trends change drastically.
Koolpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:08 PM   #4
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
not the world today.
ny_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:10 PM   #5
mew
"TRF" Member

Today, not tomorrow and not the good old days because that ship has sailed.
mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:12 PM   #6
Cigars&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, CHNR, SUB
Today. I don't mind the chase. Makes it exciting.
Cigars&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:26 PM   #7
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I don’t care. Either way is fine with me.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 03:04 AM   #8
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I don’t care. Either way is fine with me.
Pretty much this…
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:42 PM   #9
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
…have the head of a chimpanzee but wearing the watch of your dreams or the body of a chimpanzee and wearing the watch you have currently?
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:43 PM   #10
mquarter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5-digit steel
Yes
mquarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:46 PM   #11
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Doesn’t matter it’s all relative!!!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 01:49 PM   #12
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
It is what it it is and it has benefits and drawbacks .Make the most of it .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 02:00 PM   #13
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
I'll take yesteryear without a second thought. For those who truly want to own a Rolex for the quality etc of the watch and not as an "investment" or instagram flex why the heck wouldn't you want is below msrp? If for no other reason, it would eliminate 80% of the frivolous threads on TRF now about investing, building "AD relationships", should I buy this watch I don't like because it is offered to me, and the list goes on.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:14 PM   #14
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
I'll take yesteryear without a second thought. For those who truly want to own a Rolex for the quality etc of the watch and not as an "investment" or instagram flex why the heck wouldn't you want is below msrp? If for no other reason, it would eliminate 80% of the frivolous threads on TRF now about investing, building "AD relationships", should I buy this watch I don't like because it is offered to me, and the list goes on.
This, 100%
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 10:16 PM   #15
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
This! Anything to go back to just the watches on TRF.
Old 26 November 2021, 08:45 AM   #16
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 05:09 AM   #17
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
this...
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 02:35 PM   #18
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I think value retention is for sure important. I just wish there was a "better" methodology in how the exclusivity is achieved. Like there is no real benchmark or guidelines as to how to go about purchasing stuff.

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 03:35 PM   #19
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:

TODAY - Any accomplishment that takes effort, and even some luck, is more rewarding to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 03:44 PM   #20
28mm
"TRF" Member

I was writing a long response and stopped to read everybody else's first.

Great posts and I agree with many of them!
Old 24 November 2021, 04:12 PM   #21
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Quote:
but we DO have watches that are available in boutiques and trading for less than msrp on the grey market...

oh, i'm sorry. so only Rolex are considered 'watches' now? i swear, the low blows keep getting lower these days...
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 01:14 PM   #22
eanzenberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
but we DO have watches that are available in boutiques and trading for less than msrp on the grey market...

oh, i'm sorry. so only Rolex are considered 'watches' now? i swear, the low blows keep getting lower these days...
That wasn’t my point. In other words, you can experience “how it used to be” by going to other high quality brands that are freely available at msrp but lots of people don’t do that, and especially on a “Rolex” forum. I have my reasons why I appreciate Rolex quality over other brands and I’m sure others have their own reasons, beyond numbers on a spreadsheet going up.
eanzenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 02:14 PM   #23
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post

But it’s a Rolex forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:24 PM   #24
ks58
Banned

Has to be today. Makes every watch purchase that much more meaningful. Plus, everybody would be begging for discounts otherwise and nothing would be selling well.
ks58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:26 PM   #25
Moony17
"TRF" Member

Freely available at retail. Buy what you like, and as many as you want. Buy it because you actually like it, and not to flex. We’ll just be focused on building nice collections
Moony17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:54 PM   #26
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

I would personally take the days of full display windows than the one we see today. I like to buy watches for certain occassions, and it's almost impossible to do that these days and it just sours the experience.

It's a simpler way of buying and owning also. There's no afterthought or discussion to be had on its new value. If you buy knowing it will depreciate then that drop is already factored into a purchase. The loss is written off in our heads.

Instead now people can buy a Sub (or whatever) and the immediate afterthought is how much more it's now worth rather than simply just enjoying it for what it is. I would guess a lot of people have a Chrono24 portfolio which they look at and treat like a stock portfolio.

There's more to it than that also, it's the constant chat from people that spot a watch. Every time there's a conversation about a watch it's about how much it's now worth, or how much did you pay, or did you get it at retail. Even to non watch people it's usually one of the first things mentioned.

Maybe I just miss the days of "oh that's a lovely watch" and that kind of being as far as the conversation goes.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:56 PM   #27
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Today. I'm not in the market for another watch in the foreseeable future, just wearing and cherishing what I've got. So, I might as well enjoy value going up.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:56 PM   #28
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I would probably go back to how it used to be. That also includes less worry about theft or being robbed. When you’re trying to buy a $30,000 watch, and everyone knows it’s actually a $125,000 watch, that becomes a big issue. I’ll take trading at retail or below. I would go back to losing money on every watch i decided to sell, at least it was easier back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2021, 04:57 PM   #29
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Would you rather?

I don’t really know what it was like before. I was a broke student when it mattered

Let’s be honest, if Rolex weren’t what it is today; the watch world would not be as active. Probably slowly fading into obscurity instead.

I’m sure those of us who love watches for what they are would still be here, but it would be a much smaller community.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 02:28 AM   #30
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I don’t really know what it was like before. I was a broke student when it mattered

Let’s be honest, if Rolex weren’t what it is today; the watch world would not be as active. Probably slowly fading into obscurity instead.

I’m sure those of us who love watches for what they are would still be here, but it would be a much smaller community.
This is a really interesting and thought provoking response Nick.

I tend to agree. I’ve been an enthusiast for over 30 years and remember times when I could get a 25% discount on a Seadweller, and when Daytona’s were the ugly stepchild

Although today’s “hype” or whatever you want to call it drives me nuts, I’m not sure what the mechanical watch world looks like without a certain amount of “hard to get”
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote