The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2022, 06:17 AM   #1
LVx2
Banned

Watch beaters, why do you do it?

I've long been fascinated with people who seem very proud that they've managed to destroy the finish of their luxury watch. Why? Why be proud that you've carelessly treated a very expensive object, one who's initial value is related to its finish? Just curious.
LVx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:27 AM   #2
jdp12199
"TRF" Member

People don't purposely beat up their watches. It is just something that happens over time from wearing it. Take a Submariner for example. A watch built like a tank and is considered a tool watch. It wasn't designed to be babied and kept in a safe.

I have a friend who is a mechanic and never takes his sub off. It has a few dings and scratches but is 100% functional and he has been using it for years.

I think your point of view is a bit skewed. You make it seem like people purposely beat there watches up. This isn't the case. It is something that is pretty much unavoidable if you wear your watch. Some people do believe that dings and scratches give a watch some character but that is different from purposely beating it up.
jdp12199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:30 AM   #3
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp12199 View Post
People don't purposely beat up their watches. It is just something that happens over time from wearing it. Take a Submariner for example. A watch built like a tank and is considered a tool watch. It wasn't designed to be babied and kept in a safe.

I have a friend who is a mechanic and never takes his sub off. It has a few dings and scratches but is 100% functional and he has been using it for years.

I think your point of view is a bit skewed. You make it seem like people purposely beat there watches up. This isn't the case. It is something that is pretty much unavoidable if you wear your watch. Some people do believe that dings and scratches give a watch some character but that is different from purposely beating it up.
I don’t know. I wear mine daily (well, in rotation) and have very few signs of wear. Granted, I’m a physical therapist…but even I have desk work. And I have few desk diving marks.
Old 25 February 2022, 10:44 AM   #4
jdp12199
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
I don’t know. I wear mine daily (well, in rotation) and have very few signs of wear. Granted, I’m a physical therapist…but even I have desk work. And I have few desk diving marks.
One instance and you could have a pretty decent ding. Getting hit with a metal door knob, dropping it on the floor, heck even putting it into a metal zipper pocket may out a scratch on it. I scratched mine up walking too close to a brick wall once...
jdp12199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 07:14 AM   #5
Tzachi
2024 Pledge Member

Couldn’t say it better

Quote:

Watches meant to be worn and enjoyed.
Tzachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 04:51 PM   #6
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Quote:

EXACTLY !!!

DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 12:02 AM   #7
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Take a Submariner for example. A watch built like a tank and is considered a tool watch. It wasn't designed to be babied and kept in a safe.
If used as intended, it's a tool watch. If babied and pampered, it's a tool's watch.

My watches have always fallen into the latter category
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:29 AM   #8
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVx2 View Post
I've long been fascinated with people who seem very proud that they've managed to destroy the finish of their luxury watch. Why? Why be proud that you've carelessly treated a very expensive object, one who's initial value is related to its finish? Just curious.
Not everyone considers Rolex a luxury good. Some just treat them as (expensive, relatively speaking) tools.

Other argue that if you can’t afford to “really” wear (and tear) a Rolex, you could never afford it to begin with.

Not necessarily my thoughts, but…you asked.
Old 27 February 2022, 02:03 AM   #9
RDT-G23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Not everyone considers Rolex a luxury good. Some just treat them as (expensive, relatively speaking) tools.

Other argue that if you can’t afford to “really” wear (and tear) a Rolex, you could never afford it to begin with.

Not necessarily my thoughts, but…you asked.
I'd offer that I can "afford" to wear virtually any watch made, short of $250K; that said, I'm quite careful with everything I own. Heck, none of my vehicles have ever been to a car wash. They are accordingly ceramic coated and PPF'd. I'm quite particular. I'd offer (and I hate to try to put words into the OP's mouth) that it is hard for weirdos like us to understand how some can be rather "flippant" toward scratches/damage. Nobody in his/her right mind seeks scratches (I don't think that is what is being asserted). I think it is the flippancy. All of this said, to each his/her own!
RDT-G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 02:33 AM   #10
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT-G23 View Post
I'd offer that I can "afford" to wear virtually any watch made, short of $250K; that said, I'm quite careful with everything I own. Heck, none of my vehicles have ever been to a car wash. They are accordingly ceramic coated and PPF'd. I'm quite particular. I'd offer (and I hate to try to put words into the OP's mouth) that it is hard for weirdos like us to understand how some can be rather "flippant" toward scratches/damage. Nobody in his/her right mind seeks scratches (I don't think that is what is being asserted). I think it is the flippancy. All of this said, to each his/her own!
I don’t think the “some” you’re referring to are being flippant. They simply want to wear their tool watches as they are meant to be, and scratches / damages are a nice by-product of actually going through day-to-day life. A submariner is meant to be withstand the inevitable wear of diving. A Daytona is meant to be worn by drivers on a race track. Those activities will bang up your watch.

Rolex Steel watches may cost thousands of dollars, but some of them were designed for a purpose. It’s still the owner’s prerogative if they want to treat Rolex Steel like jewelry.

Imagine you are God, and you designed the perfect guy for basketball. You gift him with every imaginable talent. His mum calls him Michael Jordan, but then decides to keep like safe at home because she doesn’t want her boy to get scratched up on the basketball court.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 04:33 AM   #11
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
It’s still the owner’s prerogative if they want to treat Rolex Steel like jewelry.
The watch beater undoubtedly treats their jewelry the same.

I’m intrigued by your take crispyness87. Isn’t crispy a descriptor of pristine condition?
Old 27 February 2022, 10:57 PM   #12
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The watch beater undoubtedly treats their jewelry the same.

I’m intrigued by your take crispyness87. Isn’t crispy a descriptor of pristine condition?
Hey buddy, apologies for missing this earlier.

I (rightly or wrongly) strongly prefer to consume/experience a certain product in the manner the creator envisions. When I'm ordering at a nice restaurant and am asked by the waiter "how would you like it done sir?", I'm always "whatever the chef recommends". Same when I'm ordering a cocktail.

And it's the same when it comes to my Rolex steel. Submariners are meant for kick ass diving escapes. Daytonas for meant for the race track. I am unfortunately neither cool nor talented enough to indulge in those activities. However, I have zero qualms in wearing my Steel Sub or Daytona for any activities that are less grueling than the above 2 mentioned.

Now for jewelry, or dainty steel sports watches like Nautilus or Royal Oak, or PM Rolexes, I'd argue that these aren't created/designed by artists to experience the tough life. As such I'd hold back on them, and treat them with more tender loving care.

So the quick answer (for me at least) is that I don't treat Rolex steel the same as jewelry. Interested in hearing your thoughts too man.

PS good point on crispy. I try to keep my Royal Oak crispy
Old 27 February 2022, 08:53 AM   #13
RDT-G23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyness87 View Post
I don’t think the “some” you’re referring to are being flippant. They simply want to wear their tool watches as they are meant to be, and scratches / damages are a nice by-product of actually going through day-to-day life. A submariner is meant to be withstand the inevitable wear of diving. A Daytona is meant to be worn by drivers on a race track. Those activities will bang up your watch.

Rolex Steel watches may cost thousands of dollars, but some of them were designed for a purpose. It’s still the owner’s prerogative if they want to treat Rolex Steel like jewelry.

Imagine you are God, and you designed the perfect guy for basketball. You gift him with every imaginable talent. His mum calls him Michael Jordan, but then decides to keep like safe at home because she doesn’t want her boy to get scratched up on the basketball court.
"a nice by product of going through day-to-day life?" I go happily through day-to-day life, but my "sh-t is tight" with none of the referenced "nice by-products"...
RDT-G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2022, 11:37 AM   #14
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT-G23 View Post
"a nice by product of going through day-to-day life?" I go happily through day-to-day life, but my "sh-t is tight" with none of the referenced "nice by-products"...
Have you considered a dress watch? Would work perfectly for you. Keep it in the safe on most days, and only wear it on special occasions, preferably classy occasions with minimal chance of wearing the watch out. Patek/Lange/VC/JLC have some great specimens.
Old 25 February 2022, 06:29 AM   #15
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Flex…
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:32 AM   #16
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

Years ago I brought a watch in for service. The saled associate was horrified how scratched it was. I wore the watch regularly. Did not purposefully scratch the watch. No big deal....its my watch. Now if it was a PM Total Oak, I would not be wearing it every day.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:58 AM   #17
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlOver View Post
Years ago I brought a watch in for service. The saled associate was horrified how scratched it was. I wore the watch regularly. Did not purposefully scratch the watch. No big deal....its my watch. Now if it was a PM Total Oak, I would not be wearing it every day.
See, you've horrified the sales associate! This is what I'm talking about, hope you're proud of yourself!
Old 25 February 2022, 07:03 AM   #18
Paul H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2001 Explorer ll
Around 1989 I bought my first Rolex, a 10 year old Sea Dweller. I have worn it every day, all day for over 30 years taking if off only when I sleep. I have serviced it regularly and it keeps easily within COSC specifications but now it has become so valuable that I am probably going to sell it. Then I can buy another newer Rolex to "beat up". I'm happy with that.
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 07:07 AM   #19
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Around 1989 I bought my first Rolex, a 10 year old Sea Dweller. I have worn it every day, all day for over 30 years taking if off only when I sleep. I have serviced it regularly and it keeps easily within COSC specifications but now it has become so valuable that I am probably going to sell it. Then I can buy another newer Rolex to "beat up". I'm happy with that.
I love your reply
Old 26 February 2022, 03:48 AM   #20
yorkzilla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Impressed. Pix, please!
Old 25 February 2022, 06:40 AM   #21
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
I think what you are doing is misinterpreting the folks who are pushing back against the incredibly obsessive types that occasionally post a query asking what they should do when a nearly invisible scratch appears on their priceless watch.

Other than that, I'm kind of with you. My neighbor has a OP that's pretty beat up, and before he retired, he was an office drone like most of us here. So I don't know how he did it, other than pure carelessness and neglect.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:46 AM   #22
Jocke
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I feel it is nice to have a great watch at work when it can take it.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:49 AM   #23
LVx2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post

Haha, here we go! Yikes!
Old 25 February 2022, 04:54 PM   #24
cryptowalkway
Banned

Quote:
Haha, here we go! Yikes!
That thing looks knackered as hell
cryptowalkway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 01:50 PM   #25
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:

Yes, but you’ll transform this in to a piece that looks like the AD just peeled off the stickers.
Old 27 February 2022, 04:37 AM   #26
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Icon3

Quote:

meh. . . a little polywatch with take care of that lol!!

love this photo

I have a nasty dent on my 116610 and you can definetly tell it is a daily worn watch. When I dropped and dented it I thought it would bother me so I would get laser welding but now I dont really care. When I die (in hopefully a long time) my son can look at that dent and remember it was his dads watch and wear it another 60+ years and dent the crap out of it. He is almost four and already loves watches and has his own marathon military automatitc watch when he is old enough.

C'est la vie
Old 25 February 2022, 06:42 AM   #27
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
There’s a middle ground between admiring your protective stickered safe queen in a glass box and purposely running your watch through the Indiana Jones gauntlet.

It’s simply called wearing your watch and I believe the majority falls within this middle ground.

Wearing a watch inevitably leads to minor scuffs and dings, even with proactive defensive watch wearing habits. Sometimes accidents happen and majors scratches and dents occur.

Most members simply advise to enjoy the watch rather than constantly strive to maintain a pristine condition because that defeats the purpose and induces stress rather than enjoyment.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:53 AM   #28
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
There’s a middle ground between admiring your protective stickered safe queen in a glass box and purposely running your watch through the Indiana Jones gauntlet.

It’s simply called wearing your watch and I believe the majority falls within this middle ground.

Wearing a watch inevitably leads to minor scuffs and dings, even with proactive defensive watch wearing habits. Sometimes accidents happen and majors scratches and dents occur.

Most members simply advise to enjoy the watch rather than constantly strive to maintain a pristine condition because that defeats the purpose and induces stress rather than enjoyment.
That’s really well said Nick, and it describes my wearing habits to a “T”
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2022, 11:09 PM   #29
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post

This.
It's about the enjoyment of ownership.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2022, 06:45 AM   #30
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

The same question could be asked about people who want to keep their watch “like new” at all costs.

I wear my watches and don’t plan to give extra attentive resources to the limb supporting my watch. It’s not a flex or dismissive attitude toward the level of money involved. It’s the opposite, I want to appreciate the things I own, I want them to earn the badges of love and let each scratch or ding add to the “heirloom” experience. After all, many of us purchase these with future generations in mind. I lived, I left my mark…. I was here.
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote