The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 23 December 2023, 07:57 AM   #1
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 228239 blue dial
UK - is it acceptable to wear a full gold Rolex?

I’ve been thinking about this and I know fashions have a lot to do with it but, I have 2 full gold watches, a white gold DayDate (blue dial) and a Rootbeer full Rose gold GMT.

The question is, is it socially acceptable to wear a solid gold Rolex in the UK? Or is it just to ostentatious unless you’re a footballer or a music/movie star!?

I wear the GMT at home, on holiday (mostly because people would think it is fake) and locally as I live in a rural part of the country. But if I go anywhere else or in a work situation I’ll wear the DayDate because it can pass as steel, or my Milgauss. I mean I wouldn’t wear any of them in London but that’s not what this post is about.

My question is, I’ve done well in my career but I’m far from wealthy at 43, and I have just chosen to pursue a passion and invest in watches over the years and arrived at this point….

But is wearing a visibly all gold Rolex watch socially acceptable particularly in the UK?

Thought this might generate a debate, I LOVE wearing my watch, but there is always a niggle of “should I wear this or is it just too flashy” I’d love to know what people think, those who have them, have had them, or don’t have them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 December 2023, 07:58 AM   #2
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

Old 23 December 2023, 08:05 AM   #3
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

Very fair, I’m not worrying just want to know what people think.

Old 24 December 2023, 02:12 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Have to agree.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 23 December 2023, 08:11 AM   #5
PenDelicate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just a Daytona
I'm not in the UK, but I wear a gold Rolex everyday in work.

No.

One.

Notices.

Or.

Cares.
Old 23 December 2023, 08:15 AM   #6
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
well I would notice and think 'hey cool watch'
Old 23 December 2023, 08:21 AM   #7
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7gpt View Post
well I would notice and think 'hey cool watch'

Thank you

Old 23 December 2023, 08:23 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m not sure about the UK, but it’s acceptable here
Old 23 December 2023, 08:29 AM   #9
kkqd1337
"TRF" Member

Genuinely. The only people you’re likely to encounter who notice and/or care what you’re wearing are watch thieves.

The only ‘flashy’ thing I would consider a total faux pas is to be a middle class owner of a Rolls Royce.
Old 23 December 2023, 08:33 AM   #10
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

I'm UK based and wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a full gold Rolex everywhere I went.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 23 December 2023, 08:35 AM   #11
Colorado_kid
2024 Pledge Member

While I’m not in the UK I fit your similar demographic … 41, good career (not loaded but doing just fine)

And I wonder…

Why do the footballers get to have all the fun?

If we earned it, why not enjoy it every second?

I ask myself the same questions.

Similar situation with my Porsche 911. I can’t stop my brain from questioning, is this in some way bad form to drive a sweet car and have a top shelf watch?

If I was an athlete I wouldn’t question it. But why not a career man!?

I feel you….

I actually think some of it is most our friends and family don’t have these things and we don’t want to come across as trying to better them. As that’s not the case at all.

Old 23 December 2023, 08:39 AM   #12
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_kid View Post
While I’m not in the UK I fit your similar demographic … 41, good career (not loaded but doing just fine)

And I wonder…

Why do the footballers get to have all the fun?

If we earned it, why not enjoy it every second?

I ask myself the same questions.

Similar situation with my Porsche 911. I can’t stop my brain from questioning, is this in some way bad form to drive a sweet car and have a top shelf watch?

If I was an athlete I wouldn’t question it. But why not a career man!?

I feel you….

I actually think some of it is most our friends and family don’t have these things and we don’t want to come across as trying to better them. As that’s not the case at all.

You got me exactly. I also drive a 911, I think it’s the friends and family thing and a little guilt.

As the other posters seem to indicate, maybe I just need to either get over it or sell it!

Old 23 December 2023, 08:46 AM   #13
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Frankly, most folks neither know nor care.
Old 23 December 2023, 08:53 AM   #14
4reRlxGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3970
Not in the UK but in socal where crime is rampant. I wear a white gold gmt almost every day; and if wearing long sleeves I'll don a yellow gold daytona.

But if I'm out in the lamborghini or range rover I"ll be wearing a seiko.
Old 23 December 2023, 08:54 AM   #15
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4reRlxGuy View Post
Not in the UK but in socal where crime is rampant. I wear a white gold gmt almost every day; and if wearing long sleeves I'll don a yellow gold daytona.

But if I'm out in the lamborghini or range rover I"ll be wearing a seiko.

Full laughed but you’re probably not joking

Old 23 December 2023, 08:50 AM   #16
joe&joe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramplejericho View Post

My question is, I’ve done well in my career but I’m far from wealthy at 43, and I have just chosen to pursue a passion and invest in watches over the years and arrived at this point….

In my book if you can afford at 43 y.o. more than 100k GBP in watches you are the definition of wealthy.

Speaking of the question, who cares, it all depends on how you act, if you are a douche a full gold Daytona is not going to do you any favors, if you are not people will hardly notice.
Old 23 December 2023, 08:52 AM   #17
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe&joe View Post
In my book if you can afford at 43 y.o. more than 100k GBP in watches you are the definition of wealthy.

Speaking of the question, who cares, it all depends on how you act, if you are a douche a full gold Daytona is not going to do you any favors, if you are not people will hardly notice.

I wish they were worth £100k! Maybe 2 years ago!

But I agree on the don’t be a dick point entirely. Luckily I am not, (I hope)

Old 23 December 2023, 08:55 AM   #18
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramplejericho View Post
I’ve been thinking about this and I know fashions have a lot to do with it but, I have 2 full gold watches, a white gold DayDate (blue dial) and a Rootbeer full Rose gold GMT.

The question is, is it socially acceptable to wear a solid gold Rolex in the UK? Or is it just to ostentatious unless you’re a footballer or a music/movie star!?

I wear the GMT at home, on holiday (mostly because people would think it is fake) and locally as I live in a rural part of the country. But if I go anywhere else or in a work situation I’ll wear the DayDate because it can pass as steel, or my Milgauss. I mean I wouldn’t wear any of them in London but that’s not what this post is about.

But is wearing a visibly all gold Rolex watch socially acceptable particularly in the UK?

Thought this might generate a debate, I LOVE wearing my watch, but there is always a niggle of “should I wear this or is it just too flashy” I’d love to know what people think, those who have them, have had them, or don’t have them!

You’re doing just fine, carry on !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
Old 23 December 2023, 08:56 AM   #19
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

I recently retired at 60. I was a technology executive. Relatively speaking, I did well.

I’m still young and healthy. I believe I have many years ahead of me.

One thing though…I really regret not splurging more on nice things. I could have driven around in Porsche 911s if I wanted to. My wife and I could have flown first class more than we did. We could have stayed at the 5 star hotels instead of the 3 or 4 star hotels.

I look back over the last couple decades and feel as if I was unnecessarily cheap.

I never wore a solid gold watch either. I wish I did and maybe I will in the future.

You only live once!

Old 23 December 2023, 08:58 AM   #20
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I recently retired at 60. I was a technology executive. Relatively speaking, I did well.

One thing though…I really regret not splurging more on nice things. I could have driven around in Porsches if I wanted to. My wife and I could have flown first class more than we did. We could have stayed at the 5 star hotels instead of the 3 or 4 star hotels.

I look back over the last couple decades and feel as if I was unnecessarily cheap.

I never wore a solid gold watch either. I wish I did and maybe I will in the future.

Thank you for this. Words of wisdom, hard to balance wealth for your family and retirement vs. living your life. Retirement at 60 is my goal, congratulations.

Old 23 December 2023, 09:21 AM   #21
Njkdog
Banned

Watch: Speedy reduced
Quote:

One thing though…I really regret not splurging more on nice things. I could have driven around in Porsche 911s if I wanted to. My wife and I could have flown first class more than we did. We could have stayed at the 5 star hotels instead of the 3 or 4 star hotels.

You only live once!

Congrats on the retirement. I agree with some of that, but about the airline tickets, you’re in the plane for a few hours, to lesser extent, but the same goes for the hotel. You sleep in it. I rather take that extra money and spend it on the vacation while there. do a few extra excursions or whatever.
But I think you have a good point in general
Old 23 December 2023, 09:28 AM   #22
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

You only live once!

what are you waiting for? it's not like buying a gold rolex is throwing money out the window like flying first class
Old 23 December 2023, 09:35 AM   #23
Gearjockey
"TRF" Member

At mid 50’s and 60, statistically, you do not have many years ahead of you
On the back-nine, so to speak.
But your mileage may vary, that’s why it is said to wear in good health.

Full gold isn’t my thing, but if it were, I would certainly wear it: the recently reported UK watch-crime notwithstanding.
Old 23 December 2023, 09:47 AM   #24
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
what are you waiting for? it's not like buying a gold rolex is throwing money out the window like flying first class

I’m finishing up my first novel. I expect to release it late spring or early summer. I’m going to treat myself to something nice when I’m done. I just don’t know what it is yet. Could be a solid Gold DayDate.
:)

Old 23 December 2023, 09:32 PM   #25
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m finishing up my first novel...

Congratulations. I plan to read a book all the way through some day too.
Old 23 December 2023, 09:52 PM   #26
Abaco24
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2020 SUB 116613LB
Quote:

You only live once!

I'm right there with you OP! Now booking more trips, buying lux watches, and enjoying what time I have left. Turning 60 was a mind-bender, for me anyway. I want to leave my girls something fun (Rolex) that will hopefully retain its value easier than our stock market! They can always sell them, or pass them down to my grandkids, who haven't arrived yet! I have a 2020 SUB 116613LB "Bluesy" and a 2023 126283RBR - MOP with Diamond Bezel on the way from the AD. You bought them for YOU alone, and your tastes, so wear them with pride.
Old 23 December 2023, 11:50 PM   #27
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:

You only live once!

I drove the 911s.

I wear the full gold watches.

I only fly first or business.

I only stay in the best hotels unless they’re not available.

Eat at Michelin star restaurants.

Drink the best alcohol.

Go to the best events, concerts, sports, lectures, whatever!

Just do all the things, we’re all going to die. If you have the ability to do something and you want to do it; I say, do it. Too many of my friends practiced delayed gratification and died during the delay. Screw that!

Now for the OP, I’d say it depends on the situation and environment. The UK in my experience is not as celebratory of people’s success and is more of dragging people down to the same level. However if you happen to hang out with world beaters there, won’t matter.
Old 24 December 2023, 01:30 AM   #28
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post

The UK in my experience is not as celebratory of people’s success and is more of dragging people down to the same level. However if you happen to hang out with world beaters there, won’t matter.
Its not about dragging people down to the same level, and success is celebrated, just in a more subtle way.

Its more about not wanting to rub the noses of those less fortunate/talented/lucky/wealthy in the simple fact that you are wealthier than they are.

Harry Enfield's loadsamoney and considerably richer than you characters nailed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Ku...WG1ecY&index=1

Not everyone has less becase they can't be bothered to better themselves.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Old 24 December 2023, 02:05 AM   #29
TikTok
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Harry Enfield's loadsamoney and considerably richer than you characters nailed it

Classic.
Old 24 December 2023, 02:58 AM   #30
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Its not about dragging people down to the same level, and success is celebrated, just in a more subtle way.

Its more about not wanting to rub the noses of those less fortunate/talented/lucky/wealthy in the simple fact that you are wealthier than they are.

Not everyone has less becase they can't be bothered to better themselves.
I guess, but isn’t that really the same thing?

If you celebrate success then good for that person. You don’t think in terms like, “Wow that guy is rubbing his success in my face.”

It’s a very similar mentality to me, they’re two sides of the same coin.

Of course I don’t live there, I only work with people there and visit. As with everything it depends on where you’re at.

I would and have worn my PM YG pieces to work here and nobody ever said anything unless they know about watches. TBH I’d also wear in the UK if I wasn’t concerned about it getting ripped off my wrist
Closed Thread