The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 December 2023, 09:23 AM   #1
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 228239 blue dial
GMT which precious metal option

I am in love with the GMT Master 2, I’ve had 3, Batman on oyster, Pepsi on Oyster and now Full Rose CHNR.

I’ve had the rose for a few months and I wish I loved it like I thought I would, but I just don’t, I can’t put my finger on why, it’s almost great, but I miss my steel Pepsi, the colours just seem right.

So i’m thinking about trading, the rose for a white gold blue dial. I realise that from an investment perspective this is crazy as the white gold will not hold its value and is not as desirable but I’m not buying as an investment. I’m buying these watches to wear them, and I just feel that the white gold option is so much more wearable and I’m wondering whether it still gives you the same feeling as the rose CHNR.

Does anyone have an experience of both and can give me some input on whether the white gold “feels” good or should I trade for a steel watch plus a Starbucks or similar?

I have had a white gold sub in the past, and have a white gold day date as my dress watch, but don’t know whether having the rose option versus another white gold in the collection is the right thing to do. I know, first world problems, but I’m really struggling with this decision would appreciate peoples view.

I’ve saved and bought and sold and invested for 12 years to get here, but I’ve always worn my watches. Just want to hear people’s opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 December 2023, 09:25 AM   #2
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

Why not go for the wg meteorite , price have come down and it might get a rebound after a couple of years
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 09:29 AM   #3
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyseadweller View Post
Why not go for the wg meteorite , price have come down and it might get a rebound after a couple of years

That’s the best option I totally agree, but can’t get it from an AD they’re one of the hardest options to get in my experience. Don’t fancy adding another £15k to get the same (although more desirable) watch in the grey market. I do think they’ll bounce as I think they’ll be stopped in March, but it’s still a big premium in the grey market which is where I am.

Rootbeer has dropped under £30k but the meteorite is still low £40s I think.

Old 29 December 2023, 11:59 AM   #4
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramplejericho View Post
That’s the best option I totally agree, but can’t get it from an AD they’re one of the hardest options to get in my experience. Don’t fancy adding another £15k to get the same (although more desirable) watch in the grey market. I do think they’ll bounce as I think they’ll be stopped in March, but it’s still a big premium in the grey market which is where I am.

Rootbeer has dropped under £30k but the meteorite is still low £40s I think.

If you’d like to save a bundle, may I suggest buying the blue dial 116719BLRO and source an after market meteorite dial?

thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 09:25 PM   #5
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandseirolexguy View Post
If you’d like to save a bundle, may I suggest buying the blue dial 116719BLRO and source an after market meteorite dial?

Can you actually get them after market!?

Old 30 December 2023, 11:02 PM   #6
Alfa2109
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16500LN White Dial
Quote:
Can you actually get them after market!?

Yup. You’ll find them on eBay and otherwise on line. Not sure of the quality, however.

6329, 16528, 116506, 6175, 326934 (blue), 126719BLRO (meteorite), 1803 (coral stella), AP 26860ST (blue)
Alfa2109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 09:39 AM   #7
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Quote:
Agree on this if I had to do a PM Pepsi. The blue dial is cool, but the meteorite is just another level!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 10:09 AM   #8
S7gpt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610ln YM37 wife
Quote:
S7gpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2024, 11:36 PM   #9
favx
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
This is a great idea.
favx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 09:38 AM   #10
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Sounds like you don't like the RG. You've had WG watches in the past, so its value/wearability to you should already be known to you. It sounds to me like the stainless Pepsi is what you're really looking for. Your previous WG experience likely won't translate over much different if you were to have the Pepsi in white gold.

I traded my stainless Daytona and Pepsi for a YG 116508 Daytona a few months ago. I wanted precious metal soooooo bad. Those were the only "nice" watches I had at that point. If I could go back and not do the trade at this point, I would. However, I don't regret it fully because that was the only way I was going to be able to get that price tag watch for a long while.

It sounds to me like you may be placing too much stock in the precious metal aspect at the expense of the watch not being what you truly like. WG is a hefty premium to pay to get back into the Pepsi, especially when you could have a Starbucks and a stainless Pepsi for similar money. I'd take the two stainless, personally.

Best of luck chasing that elusive end of the rainbow watch or collection!
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 09:41 AM   #11
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBolton View Post
Sounds like you don't like the RG. You've had WG watches in the past, so its value/wearability to you should already be known to you. It sounds to me like the stainless Pepsi is what you're really looking for. Your previous WG experience likely won't translate over much different if you were to have the Pepsi in white gold.

I traded my stainless Daytona and Pepsi for a YG 116508 Daytona a few months ago. I wanted precious metal soooooo bad. Those were the only "nice" watches I had at that point. If I could go back and not do the trade at this point, I would. However, I don't regret it fully because that was the only way I was going to be able to get that price tag watch for a long while.

It sounds to me like you may be placing too much stock in the precious metal aspect at the expense of the watch not being what you truly like. WG is a hefty premium to pay to get back into the Pepsi, especially when you could have a Starbucks and a stainless Pepsi for similar money. I'd take the two stainless, personally.

Best of luck chasing that elusive end of the rainbow watch or collection!

You nailed it. My wife would agree with you 100% I wish I even knew what I was chasing! I know I want to keep the DayDate I’ve also had 3 of those, but finally happy with the blue dial WG.

Maybe 2 SS watches is the right answer.

Old 28 December 2023, 09:40 AM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would think the white gold is a better long-term value than the rose gold which in Rolex is pretty trendy and popular in just a few models.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 09:45 AM   #13
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I think for the reason you like the Pepsi, the WG version is the one that will satisfy your dilemma. I love mine and love WG. It’s a looker and is very distinguished over the SS. Absolutely do it, especially since the RG is not making you totally happy.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 09:48 AM   #14
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I think for the reason you like the Pepsi, the WG version is the one that will satisfy your dilemma. I love mine and love WG. It’s a looker and is very distinguished over the SS. Absolutely do it, especially since the RG is not making you totally happy.

Congratulations on a beautiful watch, I’m a little worried about the different blues from the dial to the bezel. Photos show such a big range, how do you find it day to day?

Old 28 December 2023, 10:01 AM   #15
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Congratulations on a beautiful watch, I’m a little worried about the different blues from the dial to the bezel. Photos show such a big range, how do you find it day to day?

I love it for day to day. Here are some more pics in different lighting. The colors change in all sorts of lighting and angles.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 10:03 AM   #16
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I love it for day to day. Here are some more pics in different lighting. The colors change in all sorts of lighting and angles.

Thank you, it’s making me want it more!

Old 28 December 2023, 11:35 AM   #17
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !

Quote:
I am in love with the GMT Master 2, I’ve had 3, Batman on oyster, Pepsi on Oyster and now Full Rose CHNR.

I’ve had the rose for a few months and I wish I loved it like I thought I would, but I just don’t, I can’t put my finger on why, it’s almost great, but I miss my steel Pepsi, the colours just seem right.

So i’m thinking about trading, the rose for a white gold blue dial. I realise that from an investment perspective this is crazy as the white gold will not hold its value and is not as desirable but I’m not buying as an investment. I’m buying these watches to wear them, and I just feel that the white gold option is so much more wearable and I’m wondering whether it still gives you the same feeling as the rose CHNR.

Does anyone have an experience of both and can give me some input on whether the white gold “feels” good or should I trade for a steel watch plus a Starbucks or similar?

I have had a white gold sub in the past, and have a white gold day date as my dress watch, but don’t know whether having the rose option versus another white gold in the collection is the right thing to do. I know, first world problems, but I’m really struggling with this decision would appreciate peoples view.

I’ve saved and bought and sold and invested for 12 years to get here, but I’ve always worn my watches. Just want to hear people’s opinions.

Quote:

This would be my choice over the meteorite, even if they were priced the same, as legibility of the meteorite is subpar (yes, I do read time in my watches )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 09:58 AM   #18
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

You mentioned that you miss your steel Pepsi and that the colors just seem right. You know that is the one that you like, and that you would enjoy wearing again. Any reason why you don't want to go back to another steel version?

I guess my thoughts is that you're not sure about the WG Pepsi, so why not go for the sure thing? (Steel) Or, would you feel that you're downgrading so to speak from the full PM RG GMT? I think my choice would be to go for the second option you mentioned and trade for a SS version and a Starbucks or equivalent.
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 10:04 AM   #19
tramplejericho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxtek View Post
You mentioned that you miss your steel Pepsi and that the colors just seem right. You know that is the one that you like, and that you would enjoy wearing again. Any reason why you don't want to go back to another steel version?

I guess my thoughts is that you're not sure about the WG Pepsi, so why not go for the sure thing? (Steel) Or, would you feel that you're downgrading so to speak from the full PM RG GMT? I think my choice would be to go for the second option you mentioned and trade for a SS version and a Starbucks or equivalent.

Yeah I think taking a step back to SS from PM feels odd… but I might just get over myself

Also the drop in PM watches relative to SS would see me handing value back to the market, “notionally”

It’s weird, I’ve never bought to make money, but it’s hard to hand value back knowingly when the market is so depressed.

PM Watches have dropped so much relative to the stainless steel options that the loss I have made on precious metal becomes far more real when you step out of it.

Old 28 December 2023, 10:14 AM   #20
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
I most enjoy the white gold GMT-Master II. Meteorite is special and blue is just perfect.
Old 28 December 2023, 05:10 PM   #21
cuppa_watch
"TRF" Member

I have the full rose gold CHNR and thinks it is far more special than WG Pepsi. It is not as flashy as YG but is still recognizable, and not as common as SS models. It is all personal.

I feel if you like the Pepsi you should get a SS Pepsi and keep both CHNR and Pepsi. I see no need to spend way more on a WG Pepsi and lose the CHNR. Just my personal opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk
cuppa_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 06:01 PM   #22
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Keep all and collect. You will find wrist rotations therapeutic.
References will begin to compliment
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 06:05 PM   #23
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
For the money, I’d just buy another SS BLRO and a Submariner or an LV
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 10:46 PM   #24
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
For the money, I’d just buy another SS BLRO and a Submariner or an LV
This is another great option.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 06:15 PM   #25
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Sounds like you need time to really evaluate what you would like moving forward. The last thing you want is to buy something that you’re going to regret
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 06:30 PM   #26
Andad

Watch: A few.
Pick one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1067.jpeg (252.7 KB, 650 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 10:23 PM   #27
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned the WG BLRO and it is a very nice watch. I prefer the SS BLRO on Jubilee bracelet more and that is what is in my collection. I would go with a SS GMT and the SS Submariner. To me, the sum of these two, is more fun than the PM GMT's.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 11:47 PM   #28
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I get where you are coming from with the CHNR. I'm in the same place (mine's TT, not the full RG) and I'm heading in the same direction.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2023, 11:59 PM   #29
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Didn't like my CHNR and sold soon after purchasing. WG with blue dial is superlative; meteorite is on an entire different level--can't go wrong with either. Something I am also considering is acquiring one of those rare gems! Have a great 2024!
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 01:27 AM   #30
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I love the WG/blue dial configuration. Don't think you can go wrong there.

However, in your shoes, I would consider throwing in the DD in and going meteorite.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote