The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 April 2024, 06:31 PM   #1
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Icon10 The "fanboy" hypocrisy is astounding

The Submariner and Submariner date (you know the ones, SS and black on the Oyster bracelet) are praised my most on here as two of the greatest watches of all time - practically faultless.

Rolex release the GMT Master GRNR in SS (basically the same colour scheme albeit with a half grey bezel and not forgetting the more interesting jubilee bracelet option) and its "dull", "boring", "uninspiring" "underwhelming", "too monochrome" etc, etc, etc.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 06:33 PM   #2
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I’d have a Sub over a GRNR. ..but then I have a gmt already.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 11:01 AM   #3
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
I’d have a Sub over a GRNR. ..but then I have a gmt already.

I have the BLNR and I’d jump on the black grey combo if I didn’t already have the BLNR. That said, the blue black makes the most logical sense for day and night IMHO.
Current Collection: Rolex 126619LB, 116710BLNR, and 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster and Planet Ocean 42; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Nomos Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & SuperOcean 44; Doxa 300 Pro Carbon; Stowa Limette; Laco Napa Flieger; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:12 AM   #4
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I have the BLNR and I’d jump on the black grey combo if I didn’t already have the BLNR. That said, the blue black makes the most logical sense for day and night IMHO.

That makes some sense, Roger, but why does watch design need to be logical? More importantly, though, how ARE you, my friend?

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:19 AM   #5
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
That makes some sense, Roger, but why does watch design need to be logical? More importantly, though, how ARE you, my friend?

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You're asking an engineer why things need to be logical???

I'm doing well, but very tired. We have been in our new house in western CO for about 3 weeks and between unpacking and cleaning up the landscaping, we've only taken 1 day off - I'm too old for this! We have a 20 cy rolloff showing up tomorrow for a 1 day rental to load out all the tree trimmings (have to finish that up today), as well as the other junk the previous owner left at the house - wood scraps, old RR ties, PVC piping scraps, old chairs behind the shed, two 55-gal barrels of what he called "potato soil", and more.

How have you been?
Current Collection: Rolex 126619LB, 116710BLNR, and 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster and Planet Ocean 42; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Nomos Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & SuperOcean 44; Doxa 300 Pro Carbon; Stowa Limette; Laco Napa Flieger; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2024, 02:46 AM   #6
Lever Escapement
"TRF" Member

Also bearing in mind that the Submariner is a "Professional Diving Watch", and to live up to that name it has to comply with "ISO 6425".
Unidirectional Bezel, the numerals have to count up, (unlike a Tudor FXD where the numerals count down, used mainly for navigation), Clear/legible markings every 5 minutes, Lume pip at 12'oclock.In light, the diving time indicator has to be legible with a minimum of 50 lux. In the darkness, after exposure to light for 180 minutes and checked at a distance of 25cm, the time, the diving time, five-minute markings,the minute indicator should be clearly distinguishable from the hour indicator.The reading of the diving time is allowed an uncertainty of ±2.5 minutes, hence the need for luminous five-minute markings.
The sample watch has to be exposed to an air temperature of -20ºC. It shall then be placed at room temperature for 30 minutes. It should then be brought to an air temperature of +60ºC for 60 minutes, after which it should be submerged in water of +2ºC for another hour. After being removed from the water and wiped down, the watch must then undergo a condensation test according to ISO 22810. The test is considered successful if the watch still functions normally after this process.
Further requirements are to determine corrosion resistance by a salt spray test, as well as shock resistance properties, including being hit twice by a 3kg hammer with an impact velocity of 4.43 m/s and even a free-fall test from one meter onto a horizontal hardwood surface.
a condensation test according to yet another standard, ISO 22810:2010. Then, for type testing, the watch shall be submitted to the following procedure:
-Immerse in water at a depth of 30 cm
-Operate in water all of the mechanisms that are allowed to be used underwater (i.e. the bezel, not the crown and the pushers)
-Keep immersed for 24 hours
-Operate in water all of the mechanisms that are allowed to be used underwater once more
-Keep immersed for another 24 hours
-The watch shall then be removed from the water, wiped, and undergo the condensation test once again. After all these steps, the watch then should function normally.
Still underwater, but now with an overpressure of 25% above the indicated depth rating of the watch, a force of half a kilogram has to be generated to the crown and push-pieces. Of course, it’s allowed to have the crown and push-pieces locked or screwed down if they have that feature. This force has to be applied perpendicular to the crown and push-pieces for a duration of 10 minutes. Once again, the watch shall be removed from the water, wiped, undergo the condensation test, and should function normally.
Besides the resistance of the crown, the bracelet of the watch has to be tested as well. While closed, it has to withstand a force of 20 kilograms, pulled in both directions from the watch.
THEN.....
the test sequence that will simulate a dive to make sure the diver’s watch will be fit for the job. ISO calls it “resistance at a water overpressure”.

-Immerse the watch in water
-Apply an overpressure of 25% over the indicated rating of the watch. For example, if a watch is rated to 200 meters (20 bar), the pressure applied would be 25 bar. This pressure has to be applied within 10 minutes of submersion and shall be maintained for two hours.
-Then reduce the overpressure to 0.3 bar (mimicking a depth of three meters) within 60 seconds and maintain that for one hour.
The watch must function normally during and after the test. And should not fail the condensation test according to ISO 22810:2010 test after it has been wiped.

The other watch is a GMT
Lever Escapement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:46 PM   #7
sp3000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sea-Dweller
It's funny, I have the red/blue GMT and right away I love the look of the black/grey.. The old GMT that was black with the green hand was beautiful and subtle, this is a nice modern version of that one, I think it's really classy and would probably be the one I'd wear more if I had both.
sp3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 09:30 PM   #8
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3000 View Post
It's funny, I have the red/blue GMT and right away I love the look of the black/grey.. The old GMT that was black with the green hand was beautiful and subtle, this is a nice modern version of that one, I think it's really classy and would probably be the one I'd wear more if I had both.
I agree. I already have two GMTs or I’d have tried to add that particular one. Very subjective but the subtlety sings to me.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 09:38 PM   #9
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp3000 View Post
Agree 100%
I picked up the LN back in 2010
The GMT DNA is a night-day bi-colored bezel. Will be adding the black/grey to the collection
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:48 PM   #10
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I prefer GMTs with a more standout colorful bezel.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:50 PM   #11
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

In my opinion, without the colourful bezel, the amount of numbers on the bezel is really too much.
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:15 PM   #12
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Astute observation…and I’d add that the Pepsi Bezel, surprisingly for me, cuts the busyness of the numbers on the bezel best….because of the two non-black colors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
In my opinion, without the colourful bezel, the amount of numbers on the bezel is really too much.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2024, 12:10 PM   #13
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
Astute observation…and I’d add that the Pepsi Bezel, surprisingly for me, cuts the busyness of the numbers on the bezel best….because of the two non-black colors.
This right here are 2 spot on observations which mirror my experience. Having a number of subs, including LVs, also having a 16710 Pepsi sets it apart from the subs black bezel
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 05:51 PM   #14
rockysw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. people underestimate in my view the differnece between sub and gmt bezel. The amount of numbers and font size make a huge difference.
rockysw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 10:31 PM   #15
SpiritSoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio A500
Quote:
they missed a trick and could have done "yellow" numbers and have a yellow GMT hand with that black and grey combo and you would have had the Original Batman :)
SpiritSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 07:53 PM   #16
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
It’s hard to argue with your premise. But I think it’s because the Submariner and GMT are two different watches and people have different expectations for each of them.

For example, I want a black dial Sub, with a black bezel. I do think it might be the best watch ever. Certainly in the top 5.

However, when it comes to the GMT. I want a black and blue or red and blue bezel, because that’s what makes the GMT so special to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 09:01 PM   #17
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
It’s hard to argue with your premise. But I think it’s because the Submariner and GMT are two different watches and people have different expectations for each of them.

For example, I want a black dial Sub, with a black bezel. I do think it might be the best watch ever. Certainly in the top 5.

However, when it comes to the GMT. I want a black and blue or red and blue bezel, because that’s what makes the GMT so special to me.

This
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 10:51 PM   #18
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post

Both of which are in production

If they had discontinued the BLNR or BLRO for the GRNR I could understand the complaints. But that's not whats happened

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:09 PM   #19
zengineer
"TRF" Member

I don't think hypocrisy is the right term. I'm not even sure I even see an inconsistency.

People have different expectations for a new release vs a classic.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:17 PM   #20
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I don't think hypocrisy is the right term. I'm not even sure I even see an inconsistency.

People have different expectations for a new release vs a classic.
Agreed. I think you can hail the sub and also be disappointed in the new GMT. I think it is a lazy release.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:12 AM   #21
pigman08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,16710,214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
I think it is a lazy release.
This is exactly what happened.

Marketing VP: “Let’s brainstorm about this guys… How are we gonna make the BEST GMT EVER?!?!Remember, there are no bad ideas, and anything is possible.”

Guy in the back of the room (Boss’s nephew) : “Eureka, I’ve got it!!!… Let’s make one half of the bezel black, and the other half a little less black”

Marketing VP: “Good god, that’s incredible… Young man, what’s your name?!?!”

♛- Yet to be determined, but a white 16520 is on the short list. (I believe that I'll be able to read it better than my old 116520)
pigman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:00 AM   #22
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don't think hypocrisy is the right term.
Perhaps Inconsistent Preference?

I always find it strange how many more people have Subs than the GMT as there are probably less people who dive seriously than those who travel a lot.

I love the GMT (because I travel a lot), but will probably someday get the Sub (ND) just to have one...
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:37 AM   #23
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
Perhaps Inconsistent Preference?

I always find it strange how many more people have Subs than the GMT as there are probably less people who dive seriously than those who travel a lot.

I love the GMT (because I travel a lot), but will probably someday get the Sub (ND) just to have one...
I don't do flashy, I know what day it is, and if I am 6 time zones away I can do that math in my head. I also think it's way past time to link diving with Sub ownership any more than cowboy hats are tied to cattle ranching.
Attachment 1429420
Old 11 April 2024, 02:43 AM   #24
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don't do flashy, I know what day it is, and if I am 6 time zones away I can do that math in my head. I also think it's way past time to link diving with Sub ownership any more than cowboy hats are tied to cattle ranching.
Attachment 1429420
So which watch do you wear?
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2024, 02:49 AM   #25
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
So which watch do you wear?
It depends on how I'm dressed and what I plan to do. And I do have other watches. I'm just pointing out that having one in every color of the rainbow doesn't appeal to me.
Old 10 April 2024, 08:20 PM   #26
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Although I’m indifferent to the black grey combo, similar to above - part of my appreciation for the sub is the fact it’s relatively plain - this adds to the versatility of the watch.

With the GMTs it’s an opportunity to introduce a bit of colour.

There’s also colours in the back catalogue for the GMT (Coke) which would be a lot more desirable
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:23 PM   #27
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

I was hoping for the full rootbeer on a jubilee bracelet.
If it was an all black bezel I think people would say its going back to the classic look.
The best releases so far for me is the new Tudor GMT. Beautiful.
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:47 PM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
I was hoping for the full rootbeer on a jubilee bracelet.
If it was an all black bezel I think people would say its going back to the classic look.
The best releases so far for me is the new Tudor GMT. Beautiful.
I'm OK with the Oyster on my CHNR and Jub on my GRNR, if they offered to add the Jub and not replace it onto my CHNR then that would be fine.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:42 PM   #29
Subshark1861
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 126710BLNR
The black/grey bezel looks great on the TT version.
Subshark1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2024, 08:45 PM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Agree, Scott, I wrote before I think newer members expect the GMT to be red and blue and green etc, they don't know or remember when the GMT was all black so this release is too dull for them. Similarly people who say this is lazy also forget that Rolex used to release in PM first then TT and then SS, so the GRNR is going back to this traditional method as well.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote