The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 21 June 2024, 03:44 AM   #1
PalmBeacher83
"TRF" Member

Starting to get pissed at AP.

I’ve played the game with AP. Gone into many boutiques, chatted with sales reps, I’ve put my name down for a RO, I’ve even bought a Code. Still, anytime I ask to buy a RO I’m told they don’t have any to sell me. I just left the boutique in London and I felt they weren’t even interested in talking to me. I had to lead the whole conversation. AP is going to seriously alienate customers soon with the sales tactics they employ.
PalmBeacher83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 03:50 AM   #2
cosmoliu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, ALS
I scratched the AP itch with a 14790 I bought grey (of course) earlier this year. I have no interest whatever in playing their "journey" game.
cosmoliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 03:58 AM   #3
PalmBeacher83
"TRF" Member

It’s not even a journey if everytime you go it’s a dead end.
Old 21 June 2024, 04:13 AM   #4
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
I am so sorry for you. It's frustrating. I understand completely.

Why don't you ask directly why you can't buy the RO. Ask for transparency!

In 2019 I desperately wanted the then launched 15500 and ordered it at the AP boutique by email. They called me and we had some sort of "interview". I was deemed "worthy" because in 2022 I got the call. Still happy and grateful about that.

A few weeks later, so still 2022, I asked for the ROO in baby blue, Ref. 26238ST.OO.A340CA.01.
My boutique contact said she would put me on the list but we are now more than 2 full years further and nothing.

Thinking about it I believe I destroyed all my changes by arriving at the boutique in shorts, with my 3 young kids and wife. I was deemed "not worthy'" anymore. I accepted it and moved on. It is what it is.

It's a strange world and sometimes we just have to let it go.
Old 21 June 2024, 07:21 AM   #5
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Thinking about it I believe I destroyed all my changes by arriving at the boutique in shorts, with my 3 young kids and wife. I was deemed "not worthy'" anymore. I accepted it and moved on. It is what it is.

If you still want the ROO, I would ask again...when was the last time you stopped in to say hello?

I personally feel like sometimes we over think things with AP. The SAs and managers are normal people and most of the time, they are very nice people. When we picked up my wife's RO....they gave my kids stuffed bears and security was playing with them the whole time.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 11:01 AM   #6
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

In 2019 I desperately wanted the then launched 15500 and ordered it at the AP boutique by email. They called me and we had some sort of "interview". I was deemed "worthy" because in 2022 I got the call. Still happy and grateful about that.

A few weeks later, so still 2022, I asked for the ROO in baby blue, Ref. 26238ST.OO.A340CA.01.
My boutique contact said she would put me on the list but we are now more than 2 full years further and nothing.

lol I know you must be joking but why would the boutique deem you unworthy because you brought your kids and wife and you were wearing shorts that’s just insanity - who thinks like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 12:08 AM   #7
Notimetodie
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ha. I’ve never shown up dressed other than shorts, flip flops and a t shirt. Got RO in 2021 as my first AP.
Notimetodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2024, 11:32 AM   #8
LndLord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yikes you think so?
LndLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 04:16 AM   #9
Jones.nl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub
I’m also done with that crazy people. Just buy grey. The prices differences is short
Jones.nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 04:50 AM   #10
PalmBeacher83
"TRF" Member

It has come to the point where I don’t want to have loyalty to the boutiques
Old 21 June 2024, 05:03 AM   #11
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBeacher83 View Post
I’ve played the game with AP. Gone into many boutiques, chatted with sales reps, I’ve put my name down for a RO, I’ve even bought a Code. Still, anytime I ask to buy a RO I’m told they don’t have any to sell me. I just left the boutique in London and I felt they weren’t even interested in talking to me. I had to lead the whole conversation. AP is going to seriously alienate customers soon with the sales tactics they employ.
I Feel your pain and the deal is there are amazing RO's at or below Retail I just found one waiting for delivery tomorrow

One thing to remember is that each Boutique gets like 1 watch a day to sell. also I had amazing luck in Spain and Italy for walk in watches

Get out there and Hunt my brother and Just make sure you are Texting your SA and stay in contact with them thats what has worked for me!

Cheers
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:03 AM   #12
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

if you're from florida what are you telling the boutique in london? if they know you're not local it's not really surprising that they don't really wanna put any effort into working with you. people always recommend just working with one boutique
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:08 AM   #13
rjohnston713
"TRF" Member

I waited 2 1/2 years from our boutique here for a 15550 or 26715 only for the boutique to close completely this year. AP is opening another one that will be AP owned later this year but that would restart the process. Will most likely bite the bullet, buy grey, and move along.

My issue is I am having trouble finding anywhere around here I can actually try on a few different models to know which size I want before going grey. 37mm RO, 38mm ROC, or Jumbo
rjohnston713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:33 AM   #14
Steele
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
if you're from florida what are you telling the boutique in london? if they know you're not local it's not really surprising that they don't really wanna put any effort into working with you. people always recommend just working with one boutique
In Spain I used my Hermes SA to set me up with the AP SA and worked like a charm I got 2 pieces RO Ceramic Music edition for the wifey 37mm and the 26420CE for myself then in Capri we got the Diver the blue one for my business partner
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 11:04 AM   #15
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
In Spain I used my Hermes SA to set me up with the AP SA and worked like a charm I got 2 pieces RO Ceramic Music edition for the wifey 37mm and the 26420CE for myself then in Capri we got the Diver the blue one for my business partner

So the Hermes takeover is confirmed :) how in the hell does that work ?

Can I use my Loro Piana sales person to get me a Ferrari and an AP openworked ?

Old 21 June 2024, 05:05 AM   #16
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you don't plan on collecting multiple pieces, prices are back down to acceptable levels over retail for most regular ROs.

Pay today, get tomorrow, save yourself the "journey" / empty coffee talk.

If you are considering having a multi year sales relation, then I'd keep at it but make it clear that you've been quite consistent and would like to see / experience some reciprocity. Sometimes being honest about it (and also acknowledging you already bought a Code) can certainly help...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 05:33 AM   #17
cbalster
"TRF" Member

I bought a 15202ST grey. I've dealt with the service center in FL for extra links and such. Has been great
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 07:14 AM   #18
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
You need to work with the one boutique/SA rather than several. Overseas boutiques will generally recommend you continue the relationship with your local, they are usually helpful if you’re just visiting and looking around though.

supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 08:16 AM   #19
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
You need to work with the one boutique/SA rather than several. Overseas boutiques will generally recommend you continue the relationship with your local, they are usually helpful if you’re just visiting and looking around though.

This is exactly right, stick with one boutique and the same SA. Check in every quarter, you will eventually get an allocation.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 08:29 AM   #20
Eldad
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Dude It has two points of view. One is numbers and bottom line, if you go gray in today's market situation, it is much more profitable "than the journey" in the boutique. Buy a code for 30-40% less. Jumbo at 10-20% above and Royal Oak at more or less the retail price.
If you want company and personal attention AP house are the best in the business. You will receive the best service, conversation and swag in the market. Ultimately decide what is most important to you.

Ap 26315 panda - Ap code 11.59 - pp5167A - Daytona 116520 balck dial - 116520 white aph dial - daytona - 116500ln - Ap 15720 green khaki- submariner 1680 mark II
Eldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 01:22 PM   #21
Balance
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldad View Post
Dude It has two points of view. One is numbers and bottom line, if you go gray in today's market situation, it is much more profitable "than the journey" in the boutique. Buy a code for 30-40% less. Jumbo at 10-20% above and Royal Oak at more or less the retail price.
If you want company and personal attention AP house are the best in the business. You will receive the best service, conversation and swag in the market. Ultimately decide what is most important to you.
I agree with this 100%, couldn't have said it better myself.

The only pieces in the journey that will give significant numbers advantage are ceramic, but if you aren't already a multi year customer of AP you have no chance of getting one.
Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 02:11 AM   #22
scottmlew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldad View Post
Buy a code for 30-40% less. Jumbo at 10-20% above and Royal Oak at more or less the retail price.
Where are Royal Oaks being sold near MSRP?
scottmlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 04:15 AM   #23
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post
Where are Royal Oaks being sold near MSRP?

Probably 20% premium or so

https://www.europeanwatch.com/watch/...l-4-53370.html

Old 23 June 2024, 10:08 AM   #24
scottmlew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
That's 83% over the MSRP for that watch when it was retired. I guess if you're comparing it to a 15510 as being "equivalent", then it's a 22% difference, but all told, I'm not sure I consider that "close to MSRP", especially given the age of the watch. Personally, I'm hoping prices come down a bit more.
scottmlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2024, 11:21 AM   #25
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmlew View Post
That's 83% over the MSRP for that watch when it was retired. I guess if you're comparing it to a 15510 as being "equivalent", then it's a 22% difference, but all told, I'm not sure I consider that "close to MSRP", especially given the age of the watch. Personally, I'm hoping prices come down a bit more.

Plenty of 15500 in the mid 30s as well but yes I was comparing it to the 15510 retail not really fair to compare it to the 15400 retail pricing but maybe I’m wrong

Old 21 June 2024, 10:26 AM   #26
soupy
"TRF" Member

Where did you buy the Code? That SA is your assigned SA whether you like him/her or not. You can't just go to another one or a different boutique to purchase just because you want to. It's just not how it works with them and their stupid CRM and sales ops. You have to actually internally request a transfer to who/where you're assigned and reset your wishlists, otherwise what you're doing is simply "touring" and wasting your breath and time. The market is crashing so fast for AP anyway that eventually no one is going to want to even baghold certain ROs anymore that there's going to be no point to visit boutiques anymore other than to visit the parts and service people and eat their free chocolate.
soupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 10:58 AM   #27
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post
The market is crashing so fast for AP anyway that eventually no one is going to want to even baghold certain ROs anymore that there's going to be no point to visit boutiques anymore other than to visit the parts and service people and eat their free chocolate.
It is very apparent from some of the recent comments here that people that didn't get allocations are licking their chops hoping to see AP fail. Things are getting weird in China, but I just don't see some impending crash where no one wants to buy ROs.

I am all for a price adjustment and the ability to buy whatever AP I want...but the speculators and people that didn't really want the watch in the first place (just to make a buck) are the only ones that will go away.
Old 26 June 2024, 09:40 PM   #28
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
but the speculators and people that didn't really want the watch in the first place (just to make a buck) are the only ones that will go away.
That is not true at all. Many true collectors do not buy into buying something else to get what they want, myself included. I am not saying I am going away but I am certainly not going to buy a Code I do not want in order to get another reference I do. It is in fact turning a lot of people off and I do believe eventually they will have to make an adjustment here.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2024, 01:38 AM   #29
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
That is not true at all. Many true collectors do not buy into buying something else to get what they want, myself included. I am not saying I am going away but I am certainly not going to buy a Code I do not want in order to get another reference I do. It is in fact turning a lot of people off and I do believe eventually they will have to make an adjustment here.
You say this all so matter of fact. My first allocation was my wife's blue dial 37mm RO that is a 50th Anniversary edition. My boutique has repeatedly told me not to buy anything I do not really want to keep and wear for many years.

They have showed me a couple codes (which I do actually like) but never once have they said I should buy one in order to get an allocation of something else.

This line that you "have to buy a CODE to get a RO" is just not accurate across the board and I guarantee is not a AP company policy.
Old 27 June 2024, 01:51 AM   #30
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
You say this all so matter of fact. My first allocation was my wife's blue dial 37mm RO that is a 50th Anniversary edition. My boutique has repeatedly told me not to buy anything I do not really want to keep and wear for many years.

They have showed me a couple codes (which I do actually like) but never once have they said I should buy one in order to get an allocation of something else.

This line that you "have to buy a CODE to get a RO" is just not accurate across the board and I guarantee is not a AP company policy.

I'm kinda 50-50 on your comment. I was lucky to be allocated a few nice references, incl a 15500 during the craze.

They're never overly pushy but some hints (at least for me) have been dropped that a code would "nicely round out the collection" while we are discussing some complications/ ceramic pieces etc.

I don't disagree with the notion but make of it what you will. I'm sure if I picked up a PM Code or two the wheels would be a bit greasier...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote