The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 15 December 2021, 01:02 AM   #31
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
I dont even see price on request.. just blank
When it comes back up it will just be a vid of a Goodfella saying, "F*ck you, pay me."
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 01:47 AM   #32
GS93108
"TRF" Member

AP UK's pricing is back for some models and not for others. e.g. 15500 Grey Dial has a price but Blue dial does not. Perhaps the update is yet to complete?

Also the "i" message by the price has now changed to read "Non-binding recommended public price in Great Britain (VAT included)". This message was previously more similar to the original message from other countries that started this whole rumour.

if there's a reason for some models having a price and others not, then it isn't immediately obvious to me.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 01:47 AM   #33
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Just buy from a boutique and not an authorized dealer.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 02:09 AM   #34
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
When it comes back up it will just be a vid of a Goodfella saying, "F*ck you, pay me."
Old 15 December 2021, 02:36 AM   #35
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
Just buy from a boutique and not an authorized dealer.

You do realize how impossible that is for many people, correct?

I fully understand that’s an option, but for many people they have invested years in a relationship with an AD or some other “non-boutique” entity and it’s just not easy to switch.

AP needs to do better at recognizing this situation. In today’s market, it’s impossible to walk into NYC, London, etc and realistically expect to get anything available to buy. The boutiques/corporate stores have their own customers to make happy, and of course they have to deal with the insane demand that is there from the general public.

I am sure they are trying to do this and being in IT myself I know it’s not easy, but I hope the investments are being made so that all AP channels are able to recognize their customers that have invested in the brand and have helped AP get into the position they are enjoying today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 15 December 2021, 03:01 AM   #36
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post

I fully understand that’s an option, but for many people they have invested years in a relationship with an AD or some other “non-boutique” entity and it’s just not easy to switch.

AP needs to do better at recognizing this situation. In today’s market, it’s impossible to walk into NYC, London, etc and realistically expect to get anything available to buy. The boutiques/corporate stores have their own customers to make happy, and of course they have to deal with the insane demand that is there from the general public.

I am sure they are trying to do this and being in IT myself I know it’s not easy, but I hope the investments are being made so that all AP channels are able to recognize their customers that have invested in the brand and have helped AP get into the position they are enjoying today.

I essentially started my AP journey with the grey market partly because the AP AD in Beverly Hills was terrible to me and partly because in those days the AD's did indeed set their own pricing (cost +nothing and out the back door to a grey dealer for the sake of turnover), thus discounts on MSRP were easy pickings.

When I came back to the UK I had no relationship with AP London and I only have one now because it was born from a complaint that I had, which they dealt with with class.

I am a royal pain in AP's ass. They know it. I know it. But they saved me as a customer, else I'd be bitter to this day.

My point is that I totally agree with you Scott, anyone that has had a great relationship with an AD, only to now find that 'worthless' because the AD no longer has the AP franchise, needs some love from AP. But, that's a two way street, AP need to give the love, but the customer needs to at least let AP know that they need some love.

For new people arriving in the watch world today, without even having a prior AD relationship, then it's unfortunately tough poo poo, I don't see any love for them.

Part of the conversation I had with AP yesterday was about their treatment of 'new' customers and they have no answer themselves other than they welcome everyone to come and start the relationship. Unfortunately though supply is essentially hand to mouth at the moment and long gone are the days when they even had the 'special' pieces out the back, so new customers are naturally going to have to be patient.

p.s.

In my younger days I had a really good purchase relationship with my local Rolex AD, a small family firm, now part of a much larger group. But I have ZERO status with the new group, but to be fair that's on me because I have essentially let that lapse.
Old 15 December 2021, 03:09 AM   #37
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
I essentially started my AP journey with the grey market partly because the AP AD in Beverly Hills was terrible to me and partly because in those days the AD's did indeed set their own pricing (cost +nothing and out the back door to a grey dealer for the sake of turnover), thus discounts on MSRP were easy pickings.

When I came back to the UK I had no relationship with AP London and I only have one now because it was born from a complaint that I had, which they dealt with with class.

I am a royal pain in AP's ass. They know it. I know it. But they saved me as a customer, else I'd be bitter to this day.

My point is that I totally agree with you Scott, anyone that has had a great relationship with an AD, only to now find that 'worthless' because the AD no longer has the AP franchise, needs some love from AP. But, that's a two way street, AP need to give the love, but the customer needs to at least let AP know that they need some love.

For new people arriving in the watch world today, without even having a prior AD relationship, then it's unfortunately tough poo poo, I don't see any love for them.

Part of the conversation I had with AP yesterday was about their treatment of 'new' customers and they have no answer themselves other than they welcome everyone to come and start the relationship. Unfortunately though supply is essentially hand to mouth at the moment and long gone are the days when they even had the 'special' pieces out the back, so new customers are naturally going to have to be patient.

p.s.

In my younger days I had a really good purchase relationship with my local Rolex AD, a small family firm, now part of a much larger group. But I have ZERO status with the new group, but to be fair that's on me because I have essentially let that lapse.

Agree with all of that, Gary! It definitely takes work on the part of us as a customer and nobody should be sitting back and waiting for a personal invitation from FHB to invite them in to buy something…

Personally, I try and balance multiple components and avenues in terms of my overall AP relationship. It’s hard, but I am at the point now where I feel I’ve done my part and now the hardest part is what I’m just awful at …patience!!

Old 15 December 2021, 03:14 AM   #38
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree with all of that, Gary! It definitely takes work on the part of us as a customer and nobody should be sitting back and waiting for a personal invitation from FHB to invite them in to buy something…

Personally, I try and balance multiple components and avenues in terms of my overall AP relationship. It’s hard, but I am at the point now where I feel I’ve done my part and now the hardest part is what I’m just awful at …patience!!

I know how hard you've worked and you've got advocates, i.e. people standing up for you with AP too, but even then patience is probably the biggest issue at the moment, the part you are bad at :)

Even on here on TRF none of us have come up with a route map, just anecdotal best guesses.
Old 15 December 2021, 05:36 AM   #39
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I know how hard you've worked and you've got advocates, i.e. people standing up for you with AP too, but even then patience is probably the biggest issue at the moment, the part you are bad at :)

Even on here on TRF none of us have come up with a route map, just anecdotal best guesses.
I think the toughest part for me is to actually build purchase history. nothing is available and even the entry level pieces they might have don't excite me that much - maybe one diver and one RO in steel or RG and then what (already have a ROO)?
much easier to do with a multi brand AD. buy some Rolex, maybe a little jewelry. maybe even buy an IWC or tudor.
not really a problem for AP since they sell everything anyway. just for myself and I just can't see it.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 05:48 AM   #40
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I think the toughest part for me is to actually build purchase history. nothing is available and even the entry level pieces they might have don't excite me that much - maybe one diver and one RO in steel or RG and then what (already have a ROO)?
much easier to do with a multi brand AD. buy some Rolex, maybe a little jewelry. maybe even buy an IWC or tudor.
not really a problem for AP since they sell everything anyway. just for myself and I just can't see it.
The whole concept of scaled up purchases to build a history is horrible and you are totally right about a multi-brand AD being easier, but in the world of AP multi-brand AD's are becoming extinct.

In your specific case you need to make sure you keep in contact with Errol and then rely on whatever charm you can muster :) But unless he's told you to get lost (which of course he'd never do) then touching base every now and then can't hurt.
Old 15 December 2021, 05:50 AM   #41
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The whole concept of scaled up purchases to build a history is horrible and you are totally right about a multi-brand AD being easier, but in the world of AP multi-brand AD's are becoming extinct.

In your specific case you need to make sure you keep in contact with Errol and then rely on whatever charm you can muster :) But unless he's told you to get lost then touching base every now and then can't hurt.
yeah sure you are right, I just meant in general. AP makes it super tough for normal people to build purchase history. if PP ever goes down that route it would be probably even harder.
Old 15 December 2021, 06:01 AM   #42
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah sure you are right, I just meant in general. AP makes it super tough for normal people to build purchase history. if PP ever goes down that route it would be probably even harder.
I agree, it's almost impossible these days and only getting more difficult.

I really think 'new' people are SOL for the time being and building a collection is for sure going to be difficult for established customers, unless those tastes are varied and flexible. I'm not a collector, I'm a wearer and thus my focus is narrow and on things that I really want to wear. For example, I've never wanted a 15202st. In contrast a customer that wants a 15500 that is happy with ANY colour, including any new colours such as shocking pink or violet or yellow etc. that MAY be introduced in the future has a much better chance of being allocated something. I specifically had this conversation with AP yesterday, they really want to help their customers but a request for a 15500 blue does nothing for the customer's probability of allocation. Double that request to include grey and the chances increase too.

I think we are all agreed, the watch world is screwed and none of us can fix it, we just have to work within each of our own personal sets of parameters and hope that matches with AP's at any given time.
Old 15 December 2021, 06:06 AM   #43
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree, it's almost impossible these days and only getting more difficult.

I really think 'new' people are SOL for the time being and building a collection is for sure going to be difficult for established customers, unless those tastes are varied and flexible. I'm not a collector, I'm a wearer and thus my focus is narrow and on things that I really want to wear. For example, I've never wanted a 15202st. In contrast a customer that wants a 15500 that is happy with ANY colour, including any new colours such as shocking pink or violet or yellow etc. that MAY be introduced in the future has a much better chance of being allocated something. I specifically had this conversation with AP yesterday, they really want to help their customers but a request for a 15500 blue does nothing for the customer's probability of allocation. Double that request to include grey and the chances increase too.

I think we are all agreed, the watch world is screwed and none of us can fix it, we just have to work within each of our own personal sets of parameters and hope that matches with AP's at any given time.
yeah agreed, but for me FOMO is real even when I see a watch that I can't even afford like the new PP platinum minute repeater. I think people get frustrated and they see all the ads about new watches but in reality barely anybody has access to these watches at least directly from the manufacturer. Ap especially loves to advertise pieces that are made in batches of 5-10 per year on their IG:)
Old 15 December 2021, 06:45 AM   #44
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah agreed, but for me FOMO is real even when I see a watch that I can't even afford like the new PP platinum minute repeater. I think people get frustrated and they see all the ads about new watches but in reality barely anybody has access to these watches at least directly from the manufacturer. Ap especially loves to advertise pieces that are made in batches of 5-10 per year on their IG:)

You already have an in with AP based on some prior advocates. You should continue to work that channel unless something has gone wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 06:47 AM   #45
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
You already have an in with AP based on some prior advocates. You should continue to work that channel unless something has gone wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I literally just said it's tough to build a relationship or establish purchase history if you are relatively small time. that's all.
Old 15 December 2021, 07:18 AM   #46
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yes, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I literally just said it's tough to build a relationship or establish purchase history if you are relatively small time. that's all.

Have you tried asking them about your second piece after the initial help? Or have they not allocated you a watch yet?

Just trying to figure out how you landed on your position of it’s tough build a relationship given your corporate in
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 11:36 AM   #47
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I understand that it may not be easy, but it's the unfortunate reality. The demand far exceeds the available supply at the moment.

From what I understand, AD's don't get much in terms of allocations to begin with and AP will favor their boutiques and AP Houses with the most desirable pieces. So it wouldn't hurt to start a relationship with the closest boutique or AP House anyway, imo.

I don't necessarily agree that it's impossible to walk into NYC and buy something. If you're looking to buy an "in stock" piece, that will not happen because there is no stock (unless you're looking for a CODE). However, if you're willing to sit with a SA and register your interest, there is certainly a possibility in getting an allocation, imo.

Interesting times we live in, that's for sure! I miss the good ole days. Part of me also wishes all the secondary pricing would just crash so people stop treating them as commodities and stop buying them as "investments". Just buy what you like, wear it, and enjoy it!
Quote:
I've actually had a very difficult time with the local Patek AD. They're also a Rolex dealer and jewelry store, so you can clearly see they give preferential treatment to those that buy the overpriced jewelry for their significant others. I totally get it from a business perspective, as they have to take care of their best clients, but it's certainly frustrating for the watch aficionado that just wants to purchase the timepieces.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 11:56 AM   #48
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Yep, I agree across the board. It certainly is not easy but that’s the reality as you say. Nothing anybody here can say or do will change that.

I feel you’re mostly correct on ADs, although I have to admit I have never really understood the retail structure for AP. It makes sense on paper as I’ve seen it discussed here on the forums, but I certainly don’t know the reality of allocations. It seems like they don’t get any of the truly “hot” pieces, but I have no genuine evidence whether they do or do not. The pessimist in me says we’d probably never know if they do as they end up in unfortunate places.

I think a key component here is patience…Without that, all of this is a waste of somebody’s energy and they just need to go gray and accept that. The patience part I’m not good at, but I’m doing my absolute best to trust the process and accept the game. There are no shortcuts, that’s for sure!

Old 15 December 2021, 01:07 PM   #49
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
I literally just said it's tough to build a relationship or establish purchase history if you are relatively small time. that's all.
All comes down to perspective. I'm 100% small time and have thoroughly enjoyed building my relationship with AP through patience and passion to actually WEAR the pieces I've been allocated.

It's only tough if you want it to be.
Old 15 December 2021, 11:11 PM   #50
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon5

Quote:

I really think 'new' people are SOL for the time being

Ok, being dense here.........what is "SOL" please?
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 11:18 PM   #51
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Ok, being dense here.........what is "SOL" please?
Just my attempt to conceal my hip and vulgar potty mouth - 'Shit Outta Luck'.
Old 15 December 2021, 11:29 PM   #52
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

Quote:
Just my attempt to conceal my hip and vulgar potty mouth - 'Shit Outta Luck'.

aha, bingo!

Thanks Gary.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 11:45 PM   #53
JF100
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkn View Post
I saw that on instagram too. also yes everything is price on request now. what's happening? if boutiques move to a market price model it would be even more ridiculous than the Marvel collaboration.
this made me smile
JF100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 03:16 AM   #54
Mr.GL
"TRF" Member

Prices are back , however boutique exclusive timepieces are on request.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Mr.GL is offline   Reply With Quote