The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 January 2024, 12:43 PM   #1
Doug4315
Banned

Rolex purchase advice…options

I know it’s all up to me and I get that. But I do want some advice from a different angle from all the awesome members here.

I have an Air King from 2001 that I love. I want to eventually leave watches to my two sons. Not sure if that will be on their college graduations or when I kick the bucket. Having said that, I want it to be absolutely equal. They both admire watches so it's a win win!

Here's a few options and would love some input....

1). Buy another Airking pre owned from 2001? I can find one for about $6500 at Bobs

2). Do I buy two 41 Oysters? Lock in today’s prices and give them in the future? This may be hard to find two of them...$6400 each

3). Buy them both a pre owned date just from their birth years? Year 2005 & 2006. About $5500 each…

Any advice would be awesome!
Doug4315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 01:55 PM   #2
Doug4315
Banned

One more thing and most important...the wife is fully on board!
Old 11 January 2024, 01:59 PM   #3
Joearch
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
How does one know if our children will be interested in the same things we are. My adult offspring are not at all interested in my art or watch collection. BTW, I wish they were.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 02:04 PM   #4
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Double up on the air kings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 02:17 PM   #5
Doug4315
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joearch View Post
How does one know if our children will be interested in the same things we are. My adult offspring are not at all interested in my art or watch collection. BTW, I wish they were.
As of right now they are. They admire my collection all the time and have their own going
Old 11 January 2024, 05:23 PM   #6
soldes
"TRF" Member

Easy answer for me: 2 OP, later models. They are a great collection starter, and besides saving them money on servicing/repairing a 2001 watch; when they both look at the same piece they are wearing, the thought of "Dad gave me my first brand new Rolex", will put a smile on their faces (and yours).
soldes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 06:47 PM   #7
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Add a DJ.

Makes no sense to add another Air King and own 2. You wear these watches before you pass them on. So, why not have something different, with date?

You can get a pre-owned one, similar value with the Air-King if you wanna be fair.
Old 11 January 2024, 10:19 PM   #8
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would not buy two of the same watch to hold for some point in the future to pass on. Without revealing any information on your age or physical health I would assume that you have many years left. Why not buy something you want and wear it in the rotation with all of your watches. That is what makes it special, that it was yours and you wore it and enjoyed it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2024, 11:46 PM   #9
cdmorenot

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I wouldn't get two identical watches. I'd buy another watch of that you enjoy wearing and wear the heck out of it.

This way they are true Dad watches when they're ultimately passed down.
Old 12 January 2024, 12:14 AM   #10
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Great idea, whatever you choose. Just to let you know all my kids and Grand kids were jumping with joy to receive theirs and they wear then every day. Good Luck
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 12:21 AM   #11
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
How old are yo? Is there any need to do anything now. Why own two watches if you love owning one.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 12:38 AM   #12
Pop Art Suzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust
Quote:
I hear ya. My daughter—who is 24—has zero interest in my Rolex, luxury handbags or any of my Cartier jewelry. She's just not into it. I'd leave it to her regardless when I'm gone, since she's my only child, but who knows what she'd end up doing with it.
Old 12 January 2024, 01:09 AM   #13
chris007
"TRF" Member

I definitely won't buy a 2nd AirKing... especially not!

Because I think that above all, your children will be interested in watches that YOU have worn. Watches that have a history. If you buy a second Airking that you don't wear or don't wear as much as the first, your children could "fight" to have the one that was on your wrist for 20 years! Because this one would have a real sentimental story.

If it's something that doesn't bother you, in these cases I will buy 2 DJs, 2005 and 2006, which I will put in the safe to give to them when they are old enough to wear them.

The approach is not at all the same : One is sentimental, the other is “technical”.
chris007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 02:07 AM   #14
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
I’d keep it simple and get another Air King and then everything is equal
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 02:09 AM   #15
Doug4315
Banned

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I do have the same concerns everyone is saying. My original air king was a gift from my wife and then who gets that one. If I bought another one I would also wear it especially because the dial would be blue vs the black I have.

I really think the right thing to do is grab two new Oysters and the back up is to get date just from their birth years. I found their birth years on Bobs.

Decisions decisions
Old 12 January 2024, 02:12 AM   #16
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
… Why not buy something you want and wear it in the rotation with all of your watches. That is what makes it special, that it was yours and you wore it and enjoyed it.
I really like this answer to your question OP
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 02:18 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
We have two sons and a daughter that we have handed down Rolex Datejusts to and thought that this was a wonderful heirloom that they would cherish and wear at their own professional occupations.

None of them wear them and they sit, unprotected for their value, on dressers or in drawers.

The daughter won't wear hers so she won't appear snobby to her working friends but does proudly wear her apple watch, and the boys don't wear any watch at all.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment by exectine your love of watches will pass through DNA.
Old 12 January 2024, 03:40 AM   #18
Doug4315
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I really like this answer to your question OP
Agreed just trying to make it fair that they both will get something equivalent in value.
Old 12 January 2024, 03:41 AM   #19
Doug4315
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
We have two sons and a daughter that we have handed down Rolex Datejusts to and thought that this was a wonderful heirloom that they would cherish and wear at their own professional occupations.

None of them wear them and they sit, unprotected for their value, on dressers or in drawers.

The daughter won't wear hers so she won't appear snobby to her working friends but does proudly wear her apple watch, and the boys don't wear any watch at all.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment by exectine your love of watches will pass through DNA.
100% accurate and this could certainly happen. If they sell them then oh well but I am just obsessed with leaving them something. My dad died when I was 14 and I always wished I had something. Maybe I’m trying to fulfill my own void but I want more for my kids.
Old 12 January 2024, 11:50 AM   #20
Doug4315
Banned

I think it’s going to be new OP’s for them if I can get my hands on any. I will say this buying process is horrible
Old 12 January 2024, 12:13 PM   #21
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
I think new OPs is a great Idea. I would casually look at the Rolex configurator with them, pretending you are thinking of adding to your own collection, to see which color each prefers.

Kat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 12:37 PM   #22
painexpert
Banned

Quote:

Correct.
painexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2024, 10:57 PM   #23
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4315 View Post
100% accurate and this could certainly happen. If they sell them then oh well but I am just obsessed with leaving them something. My dad died when I was 14 and I always wished I had something. Maybe I’m trying to fulfill my own void but I want more for my kids.
To each their own. My father died when I was 17. I don't have his watch nor do I want it. I have some stuff that I can say "my dad used this tool" or "my dad made this desk" (which he did) but maybe I'm not as sentimental as most people, as I could do without all of that stuff right now.

If you want to leave them something, leave them memories and the knowledge that they were loved.

And a lot of money.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote