The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18 August 2024, 09:28 AM   #1
Rolexfax33
"TRF" Member

5140P-010 (Grey) vs Keeping 5146G-010 (grey)

Hi Everyone,

After years of chasing vintage sport (dive) watches, a trip to Japan last year changed everything for me. While I was actually just looking for a PP Calatrava, I came across a 5146G grey dial and my heart stopped. Add to the fact that my son was just about to be born and I decided to get it to try an pass down to him later. (My wife laughed out loud when I said this and well, she may have been right).

While the 5146 is a great mix of formal and casual, after living with the watch for a few months, a few things started to bother me. The lume and the 12-3-9. The lume bothering me is odd considering I spent so much time with dive watches but on an Patek complications, it seems a bit off (although quite handy).

Anyways, I wasn't really looking for anything in particular and then I came across the 5140P (grey dial)...and I have the opportunity to get one. The circumstances are *almost right. But let's talk about those circumstances.

1) I'd be trading 4 watches (including the 5146) for the 5140P + adding some cash. These 4 watches were grails to me at one point or another but I barely wear them anymore. But the thought of 4 + cash is a little crazy to me. Watches in question are:
  • 1960s Blancpain FF No Rad
  • Blancpain Hodinkee FF Bathycaphe
  • 5146G

2) The seller and I seem to be at a stalemate, with the seller refusing to go down an additional $4k for me to accept. This seems crazy to me considering they would be receiving four watches of mine, none of them which need a service, all in amazing condition and at a trade-in price where they'll make quite a buck reselling.

They also refuse to give me more on my trades.

What I find funny about this - they have it listed on a site where if it sold, they'd have to pay a commission. That commission would reduce the price of the watch down to what I'm willing to pay for it, but they still refuse to go that low for a done deal with me.

Am I not thinking about this correctly? Some different POVs would be great.

3) I'm in Canada and they are not. I'm not eager to have the watch shipped so I'd have to fly to them to pick up..which also poses a challenge for me at customs. I really don't want to deal with duties and taxes, so I'd be taking quite a risk.

Given all these factors, would you even bother trying to get the 5140P?

I still like the 5146 but as someone else said in another forum - getting the 5146 will just make you wish you had the 5140.

I dunno, I guess I'm looking to be talked into doing this...while also being talked out of it.

#firstworldproblems
Rolexfax33 is offline   Reply With Quote