The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28 May 2020, 05:06 AM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
GMT Trade for Sea-Dweller?

Last July, I miraculously purchased a Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO at retail from an AD whom I had little purchase history with. I thought I’d never get rid of it. I imagine it would kill the relationship if I sold it. I do worry about that in relation to the below prospect of getting rid of it.

However, looking at the 126603 two-tone Sea-Dweller, I’m very attracted. I love the look of it! I also love the idea of the higher than I’ll never need water resistance. The gold looks really sharp, but I hate scratches and wonder if the gold scratching would drive me crazy. However, I bet over time, it would start to look cool and patina-d.

While I have other watches, the goal of either of these two watches is to be an every day watch that I would wear to the boardroom, around town in jeans, and everything in-between. The addition of the glide lock clasp on the SD is a huge selling point to me, as I imagine myself adjusting it every day, maybe multiple times a day. The GMT feature is really just a novelty for me; I don’t travel a ton, so the jumping hour hand is also a novelty. I still think it’s cool, though.

Pepsi prices have crept back up to where I could pretty much do an even trade for a used SD. I can’t fully decide if I like it more than the Pepsi.

I’m not financially ready to spend another sum on a watch right now since I’m buying a house in the next year, and I also don’t want to trade my entire watch collection other than the Pepsi to afford the SD.

Rolex two-tone resell prices aren’t as favorable as their all-stainless counterparts, but I still quite like the look of them. My thought is that the prices where the used TTSD 126603 are now is about where they will stay for the long-run. Pepsi prices in the long-run will decrease as they become more available and fewer buyers are willing to spend the high premium. I’d be cashing in to trade up to a more expensive watch, and then down the road, I could rebuy a Pepsi for hopefully retail when the hype dies down in a few years or the prices aren’t astronomical in the grey market. The other option is that the resell value of the TTSD would hold around where they’re at to where I wouldn’t lose much money on the trade to where I could trade back to a Pepsi if I ever wanted it.

Just curious to hear any opinions on that trade, from a long-term perspective.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote