The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13 December 2023, 08:01 AM   #1
sm84
"TRF" Member

Customs Nightmare, Need some Help

Hi Folks,

A while back I had asked for some advice traveling out of the US to a few destinations with a solid gold DD40.

The advice I received was that as long as it is a personal item, I have a receipt etc, then I shouldn't have a problem.

However, I was stopped at customs in India and asked to pay duty which made me jump out of my skin. Regardless of showing the receipt that the watch was purchased in the US, my purpose of visit etc, I was subject to this ordeal. Long story short, I was allowed to finally leave without any duty thanks to the kindness of the officer. The choices I had were to pay duty or leave the watch in their possession until the day of my departure.

This incident really shook me to the core. What does this mean? That I have to pay duty in every country I carry a gold watch? Does anyone know what kind of options tourists or foreigners to other countries have in such cases of travel? Is there anything legal options?

Now, I am bit concerned if I will face any issues while exiting India or if I will have similar issues at the US port of entry.

Anyone with extensive travel history or having visited countries like this can help on this one? Please?
sm84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs , gold , rolex