The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 June 2024, 08:20 AM   #1
milgaussSD43
"TRF" Member

help w great "problem"

Been on AD list (NYC area) for a VTNR for some time but no joy. Stepfather heard I was looking for this and went to his local AD (USA South). He is a very good jewelry customer and they allocated him a VTNR in a few weeks. He's not a watch guy, and while I tried to explain I want an oyster (jubilee isn't for me), he didn't really grasp that, and his AD allocated a jubilee VTNR. He bought it 2 days ago and it's at his house right now. He plans to gift it to me soon.

Amazing! So generous. Except it's not the watch I want. There's no way I could ever say to him "hey, this amazing a very hard to get watch isn't really what I want, can we change it?" Just can't do that.

I know his salesperson at his AD and called her today, explaining the situation. She knows it was bought for me, and she said she was very sorry for the bad luck. But she said they don't take Rolex returns, and "since it's now considered new, we could only buy back for less than he paid." We all know that's ridiculous since a NIB AD VTNR is worth only $12k whereas a "used" VTNR is worth ~$18k+. No point in ruminating over that, it is what it is.

I only buy at ADs and do NOT flip. Of course we all know the value of this watch and chat I can flip in an instant for a profit. But I'm not ok w doing that. I called my AD and explained and asked if they might take the jubilee VTNR and allocate me an oyster VTNR. No luck there as they are Bucherer and per the CPO program can't buy watches < 3 years old.

Anyone w any ideas? I want a NIB unworn oyster VTNR and am willing to do a swap 1:1. I'm thinking of reaching out to a known trusted grey to do that. I want a swap and if offered $$ would not take it. And if I go this route, I would call stepfather's AD and propose what I'm planning and make sure they are ok with it. I don't want him to lose his privileges to get allocations and I don't want to participate in the flip culture.

Final note, he won't notice if I swapped the bracelet, so I won't need to tell him any of this.
milgaussSD43 is offline   Reply With Quote