The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23 June 2024, 01:04 AM   #1
Cshull
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on the blue Sky-Dweller

A few years ago I owned a white Skydweller that I purchased from a trusted seller for essentially retail plus tax. I really enjoyed the watch but in the interim was gifted a Patek annual calendar by my wife followed by me “making” a Mitsukoshi Speedmaster from parts. This quenched my desire for an annual calendar and a white-dialed watch so I sold the Skydweller for what I paid for it.

Fast forward until now and I found myself missing the Skydweller and got very fortunate to be able to purchase one from my AD on _very_ short notice as I was heading on a cruise to Norway. I have had it now for 2 weeks and have some thoughts:

- I really did miss the Skydweller, more than I had realized
- The execution of the annual calendar is really smart. Very easy to read without cluttering the dial
- I think the dual time function is much easier to read at a glance than a standard GMT complication. You always look at the same place on the dial and read off the dual time rather than looking around the dial for the location of the GMT hand. I know that sounds stupid as I type it, but I really noticed in practice how much better I liked the function.
- The blue really is beautiful. It seems to my eye to be more of a “denim” blue than the dial of my blusey giving the collection more variety than two blue dialed watches would seem to have.
- That being said, I think the white dial does not get enough credit. It really seems more silver in some lighting and has a little sparkle to it. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the blue too, but the white was beautiful and now having owned both I wouldn’t have a preference for either one over the other. Unless one can source a blue at retail, I would save the money and get the white on the secondary market and have no regrets
- A lot has been written about how big the Skydweller wears, but I dont think it approaches too big at all. Now I am 6’2”, 200 lbs and have a 7.5 in wrist so YMMV.
- I definitely prefer it on oyster to jubilee but I might buy a jubilee anyway just because I can. I wish there was a source for an end-link so I could put it on a navy leather strap, I think that would look sharp

That is about it. Very happy to have another one as you can likely tell. Since any thread is worthless without a pic, here is one against the midnight sun:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cshull is offline   Reply With Quote