The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27 June 2024, 04:00 AM   #1
ShamRockNRoll
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Seeking guidance on servicing/refurbing this 60s Explorer

Hello gents,

I recently came into possession of the below Explorer. It belongs to my father in-law who hasn't worn it in probably a decade or two. He showed it to me after learning from my wife that I was into watches, and made an offhanded comment that he'd still wear it if it was in working order. I would really like to have the watch serviced/repaired and present it back to him around the holidays as a gift.

I know nothing about vintage, but have done some research online and think I've figured out that this is a mid-late 60s 1016. As you can tell, it's been worn hard – my father in-law used to wear it daily while working on his ranch. Given that, I think he must have had the bracelet replaced with an aftermarket bracelet which is unfortunate, but the current bracelet doesn't have any Rolex markings.

While I'd like to get it appraised out of curiosity, I'm really just looking to get it in working order and to have it serviced in such a way that it maintains what's left of its originality and vintage character to preserve whatever "value" it may have, even though if the watch ever came back to me after returning it to my father in-law I would never think to sell it. It's mainly about wanting to preserve it as a family time capsule rather than attempt to completely refurbish it to look more "new."

Any feedback from the vintage experts here about how best to pursue those ends would be welcome, as I've never bought, serviced, or owned a vintage watch before.

Example of some of the guidance I'm looking for: the dial has obviously been through some things, lol... is this a "screw it, just have it cleaned" situation or a "dont' touch it, that's considered appropriate aging and key to maintaining value." situation? How would I go about finding a period correct bracelet, and does anyone know what that typically runs? What is the deal with the numbers/markers around the dial – does it look like someone tried to clean them up thereby altering the full vintage aesthetic, or do they normally age in that way?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me piece this puzzle together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3813 Large.jpeg (196.3 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3814 Large.jpeg (289.4 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_3815 Large.jpeg (289.6 KB, 224 views)
Swatch x Omega MoonSwatch - Mission on Earth
ShamRockNRoll is offline   Reply With Quote