The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5 July 2024, 01:34 PM   #1
soonasu
"TRF" Member

Help Deciding between 5205 and 5960

Hey all!

Thinking about getting either the 5205g-013 or the 5960p-015. I already have an 1815 Chrono from Lange, so I am covered chrono wise.

Main pros to the 5205:

- The case and lug design are amazing

- Fume looks great in pictures, but I definitely need to see it in the flesh

- Thinner (matters to me since I wear suits regularly and would like it to fit over a normal cuff, although I do have bespoke shirts made with a slightly larger opening to fit). ~11mm vs ~14mm on the 5960.

- I personally think the dial design here is better. Much more dynamic in the light, and I love that sector dial

- Better calendar layout imo

- Cheaper

Main pros to the 5960:

- Platinum

- Deployant Clasp by default (will need to buy one for the 5205 eventually). The price diff is maybe 10k on the used market after taking into account the fact that I plan on buying a deployant.

- Sunburst blue looks great in all lighting situations: I hear the 5205 fume sometimes just looks straght black, but I dont mind a black dial white case 5205 either.

- Chronos is a more useful complication. I love the red accent on the chrono here

- Probably better with straps?

I personally dont mind wearing dress watches super casually; I wear an 1815 chrono with t shirt and jeans all the time, and used to wear a lange 1 and calatrava the same way. I do think the 1815 chrono reads as much more formal than either the 5205 or the 5960.

Value retention matters, but not particularly a lot. If I ever do move on from a watch, I just think of the loss the cost of playing the game.

Im leaning towards the 5205, but open to opinions from people who have seen/held/owned both.

Thanks!
soonasu is offline   Reply With Quote