The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10 July 2024, 01:23 PM   #1
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

Incoming CODE 11.59 (sorry CODE haters)

TLDR: Was super surprised about this one. Went into the boutique today to try on some other pieces, but my amazing SA offered this to me as a surprise!

Bedtime reading/ Backstory: I was literally at Le Brassus doing the masterclass when this watch was announced in 2022. They showed me the original starwheel at the museum there, learned more about the history of the movement, and I was immediately obsessed with getting this watch. The starwheel really represented what I thought the entire CODE line was always supposed to be: something on the edge of today and tomorrow, something that might attract interest without begging for attention, something avante-garde but not too MB&F-like

I didn’t think it would be this “hot” since my SA told me at that time it should be doable as my 3rd piece.

Fast forward to early 2024, and I had a chance to try it on at the Seoul boutique for the first time. I came out disappointed with the piece mainly due to the weight of the watch (I never owned a gold piece or a ceramic before). The watch felt too light for me. Also didn’t like how the crown wasn’t perfectly in the middle of the case, similar to the Code QP. It went from a 10/10 in my mind, to perhaps a 7.5/10 in terms of desirability.

I’ve since realized that it’s really just my inexperience as a watch collector (not having any ceramics or gold pieces) that led to my disappointment. Nothing really wrong with the watch itself. My OCD self would still prefer if the crown was perfectly aligned in the middle though…but that’s a small gripe for an otherwise outstanding piece. Since then, I’ve rehyped up the starwheel in my own mind again to a 8.5-9/10 in terms of desirability. It’s still, in my opinion, one of the best “accessible” Code 11’s available (ignoring the super high end OW or tourbillons)

Anyway, I’ve been monitoring the few Starwheels that hit the gray market and they were only going for slightly above retail + tax, so I thought it would be a steal to purchase one at that price. I was told previously by my SA that it would be super difficult to get this anytime soon. I was even contemplating the one that hit MODA earlier this morning….

…luckily my SA is amazing and I got a piece that I think will forever be the most unique watch in my collection for the rest of my life
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote