The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 July 2024, 06:25 AM   #1
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

Thin collection to simplify life?

Hi all-

I have been collecting primarily Rolex for 30+ years and have been fortunate to own some very special pieces. However, about 2 years ago when it felt like I was buying somewhat indiscriminately (presumably because I was still swept up in post-Covid craziness) I did what I once thought unthinkable - bought a SS Sub Date - because it was too "plain" and "commonplace." Since then, it has become my favorite go-to watch, especially when I'm having a hard or frustrating day, because the watch literally needs no fussiness or special care and is extremely reliable. Has a date (unlike my Daytonas), lightweight (unlike my PMs), brushed bracelet minimizes scratches, travels incredibly well, goes with any clothing, easy to clean (unlike OF with the underside fins), is generally not too flashy, and is for-sure my nomination for best GADA watch.

With that said, I've been toying with the idea of selling most (or all?) of my watches and just dropping down to this Sub, with the goal of simplifying my life and headspace. In the same vein, I've been thinking about selling most of my cars too except for maybe a single SUV and a sports car, because the flashiness and worry about scratches, etc. just isn't fun anymore. Right now I'm valuing practicality, safety and simplicity.

None of this is to say that I don't love all my watches or that they don't all bring a smile to my face (they do). But at this point in my life, being quasi-retired, I'm taking a lower key approach (especially with big city crime, which just isn't worth it) and expensive watches like this don't play into my self-identity like they once did when I was working in an office and regularly dealing with commercial counterparts who are also into watches.

I've also noticed when I travel, I agonize over which watches to bring with me so I always have the perfect watch at meetings or dinners. But then when it comes time to switch out, I just go with the Sub because inevitably I'm wearing long sleeves or it's too dark to even see what I'm wearing.

Apologies for the story, but just curious if anyone else is also taking a step back after years of frenzied collecting and evaluating something similar.

Best to all.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote