The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17 September 2024, 05:49 AM   #1
lencap
"TRF" Member

Non Rolex Daily Beater - Mostly for Travel

Greetings!

Sadly I've read several posts lately related to concerns about wearing a Rolex, or other high end watch, while traveling. I admit to having some similar concerns and decided to buy a Timex Q GMT with a "Pepsi" bezel as a travel watch, by which I mean a low cost functional watch that will do the job, but not create any unwanted attention or temptation in areas I don't know well.

The Q does its job, but it's hard to avoid the "What's the point of having a nice watch if I can't use it?" feeling, along with the "This watch isn't comfortable, fun or enjoyable. Why am I wearing it?" feeling.

I came across a review for the Citizen Zenshin Mechanical Super Titanium watch with an automatic mechanical movement, 40.5mm case, full titanium case/integrated bracelet with a scratch resistant coating, 10 bar water resistance, display back, lumed hands/markets, sapphire crystal and an interesting dial (4 color choices) with small seconds hand. I bought the pure white dial, reminiscent of the no longer available 39mm OP - a watch I find an almost perfect "no frills" Rolex. They make a Eco-Drive version as well with large second hand. The dial has an interesting pattern, similar in intent, if not execution to the Grand Seiko dials.

I'm not suggesting that this watch will replace a Rolex, or any other brand, but for a Go Anywhere Do Anything inexpensive watch (lists at $625, widely available for far less for the mechanical watch, and $100 less for Eco-Drive) it serves the purpose very well. The lightweight titanium has a plus side - at least for me. While my Rolex Oyster band has a very nice integrated sizing mechanism, the watch still can feel a bit unbalanced, especially in hot summer weather, as the weight of the watch can be noticeable if the band isn't "just right". The lighter Titanium Citizen (about 100 grams) allows me to wear the watch a bit looser than I would ordinarily, and the very light weight doesn't shift noticeably on my wrist.

I was surprised at the overall wearability and comfort, realizing it's not a solution for everyone, but if you're looking for an under the radar watch that is a great GADA option for less money than the sales tax on any modern Rolex, the Citizen may be worth a look.
lencap is offline   Reply With Quote