The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #1
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
RSC Bad Experience - Should I Polish?

Just under a year wearing my Daytona, running the chronograph resulted in losing time--about 5 mins every 15 mins. Hours slow per day if you left the chrono on. Ran fine without the chrono. Sent to RSC NYC under warranty. RSC says it's running within spec. I ask if they checked with chrono running. They emphatically claimed yes, but offered to have someone "wrist test it around the office for a week." I said absolutely not. They send it back--exact same issue immediately. It clearly wasn't tested with the chrono running. Nonetheless, the watch was in fine condition cosmetically.

Here's a video I took before packing: https://imgur.com/a/bMoZ2Au

I send it back to RSC NYC. They disassembled, cleaned, and lubed the movement. Said no parts needed replacement. The watch was sent back to me in the suede service pouch, which I hated as it let the watch rattle around a bit, but probably not enough to cause what happened.
Oh, by the way... had it sent to my office. They didn't put the suite number that I had on the form AND told them on the phone. So sloppy. Fortunately, FedEx went initially to someone else in the building who knew me.

To my dismay, there were scratches added to the watch. Angle and light makes a big difference seeing them. It looked slightly better after I gave it a bath, but still so disappointing.

See here: https://imgur.com/a/OMxO5o8

1.) 12 o'clock first link after the end link has scratches on the brushed part, like a metal object scraped it--but somehow missed the high polished center-link.
2.) Clasp scratches on the polished center part, on the right side being most noticeable. Scratches were apparent prior, but it's almost like they added some desk diving marks.
3.) Bezel most notably scratched on the 9 o'clock side, under the 80 on the tachymeter.
4.) Top right lug scuffed lightly.
5.) 9 o'clock case side light scratches, some swirling. Had a tiny amount prior, but they added more in 2 weeks than I did in a year.
6.) A little additional swirling throughout the bracelet links.
7.) Caseback on 6 o'clock has a dot-looking scratch. Maybe the worst scratch on the caseback.
8.) Top left lug has a small mark from a springbar. I may have actually done this myself, but 50% chance it was them. Can't conclusively tell from my before-video or by memory.

I frankly wonder if the watch was ultimately "wrist tested" prior to sending it back to me, especially because problem #2. All these were pretty obvious flaws to me.

Problem #1 bothers me the most, closely followed by #2. The rest are easier to live with, although certainly not favorable. I wonder if some of this I could fix 80%+ myself with a Sunshine polishing cloth with less material removed than a "real" polish.

Rolex has hardly acknowledged that they did this (claiming scratches were noted on intake, but their pictures supposedly don't clearly show the problems referenced). It's not been a very high-end experience.

I talked at length with a manager who initially offered to polish and potentially replace the bezel, since metal bezels often look terrible after polishing. I asked as a gesture of goodwill would they allow for me to pay for a dial swap to green, which was immediately shot down, but hey--had to try.

Once they received it, they took almost a week to call me. I spoke to the manager again, and she reiterated they're offering a light polish, removing a very small amount of material. Per my asking, one of their most experienced techs would do the job. She couldn't ascertain how much of my case shape would be retained, which I kept saying was of utmost concern to me.
She tried to dissuade me from doing only the bracelet and leaving the case alone, as it can apparently make it look mismatched.

I feel like I'm in a position of "danged if I do, danged if I don't" about a situation that should've never happened to begin with. If I don't polish, the scratches from this shoddy experience will bother me, but eventually, I imagine I won't really notice it anymore. If I do polish, I stand the risk of a polish job that I'm not happy with, and I somewhat waste one of my polish jobs since a watch can only be polished so many times. Not to mention the slight value diminishment of the watch. Not sure how long I'll keep the watch; could be another 3 months; could be 30+ years. This has definitely soured me a bit on the watch, however.

It makes me think I have more potential to lose than I do to gain by doing a full polish job, but at the same time, if they can do a great job on it, then "out of sight, out of mind" and I hopefully could quickly move on. I just don't know how reliable RSC is to do the job, especially given how rough things have been around every aspect of this repair so far.

The damage is fairly minor in the grand scheme of things, but as someone who's OCD and somewhat babies his watches to avoid scratches, this feels more major to me than it would to others. I do wear my watches--heck, I snorkeled about every day for a week this Summer in this Daytona, and you can see the "before" video of how good it looked.

So, fellow enthusiasts, what would you do? Let it go and try to live with it? Polish the bracelet only? Do a full polish job?
MRBolton is online now   Reply With Quote