The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15 January 2010, 04:37 AM   #11
Denver Dick
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DateJust 16013
I find it interesting that the package arrived at Memphis in the wee hours of Christmas day. I would think very few if any supervisors were on duty resulting in a lot of opportunity for someone to get a good idea what was in the package. They could then slip out with the relatively small package . . . maybe while the sleepy supervisor was having a little Christmas cheer.

I'm a firearms collector and when I ship a handgun to a firearms dealer via UPS or FedEx, the carriers require that it go overnight. Several years ago, that was not the case, but the carriers found that if the handgun package stayed in the system any longer than overnight, the chances of getting lifted by an employee grew tremendously. Those of us who ship such items have learned never to ship a handgun on a day where the next day is a weekend or holiday. If the handgun stays in the system longer than 24 hours, it's just too risky. It needs to be moving and when FedEx is up and rolling it moves fast. Once the line shuts down, bad guys have a chance to examine smaller packages and figure out what's probably in them based on weight, size and insured/declared value. Interestingly, long guns can be shipped via ground . . . it seems they're just too "long" to be stuffed in a backback, gym bag, lunch bucket or briefcase.

Interestly, I recently found out that my AD ships Rolex watches to the RSC via FedEx priority overnight, but they only ship on Mondays and Wednesdays avoiding all the Monday and Friday holidays as well as weekends. Back in November, the RSC shipped my watch back to the AD after servicing via USPS Registered Mail.

FedEx works at having a great overnight reputation, but this kind of stuff really undermines that . . .