The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29 September 2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Gugnunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Exp & 114270
5500 Explorer "Facts" (?) and Myths

OK, if you guys are getting tired of me rabbitting on about my 5500 Explorer then please let me know ( I guess you'll do that by not responding) - my excuse is that six months ago I knew nothing at all about this watch (or any other Rolex) and the intervening time has been such a period of learning from all sorts of sources, especially TRF, that I would like input from anybody on here who knows whether any of my conclusions are definitely right or wrong. I believe them to be right but am happy to be corrected if you know otherwise.

1) 5500 Explorers are basically Air Kings factory- fitted wih a classic gilt 3,6,9 Explorer dial.

2) 5500 Explorers came as two variants: Precision and Super Precision

3) I'm 95% confident that all original (not redialled) Precision variants were fitted a 1520 movement and that all Super Precisions had the 1530 movement.

4) The 1530 movement was also used in Rolex chronometers e.g. the Explorer 5504

5) No 5500 Explorers were ever certified Chronometers (one wonders why those fitted with the 1530 were not).

6) Genuine examples were produced only from 1958 to 1967

7) Some 5500 Explorers have the notorious "underline" and whilst I accept that the current "registration mark" theory for their existence is probably correct, I have seen an example with an underline but no overprinting which does tend to question it.

8) Most 5500 Explorers have tritium activated lume (I think that some very early ones may been radium activated) and the tritium types have the T<25 marking - but some have this marking in duplicate, symmetrically placed either side of the SWISS marking. Does anybody know why this duplication happens as I think it is only apparent in about 25% of cases?

9) I think that all examples were originally fitted with the 6635 expanding-link link bracelet, although most will long since have had this replaced with something else. Can any one confirm that 6635s were universally fitted as original equipment?

10) There is a widespread belief that 5500 Explorers were only sold through the NAAF ( British equivalent to the PX) to British serving officers. I do know for a fact that this is incorrect - though I am willing to agree that some of them might have been marketed that way.

As I say, any input which can definitely confirm or refute any of my "facts" or which can answer any of my questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Gugnunc; 29 September 2010 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Gugnunc is offline   Reply With Quote