The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30 October 2014, 12:02 PM   #1
scarabei
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610
Icon4 Omega Bracelet Clasp Quality Issues

I want to share my experience with Omega quality control (QC) as it relates to the bracelet clasps on the newer Seamaster Pro, Planet Ocean 8500, and, regrettably, even the Speedmaster watches. I want to highlight this because the public needs to be aware of Omega cutting corners, while raising prices in an attempt to compete with Rolex. Shame on Omega!

Omega PO 8500 was my grail luxury watch..... until I actually purchased one. After spending some time with the watch, I became acutely aware of the sharp rough edges on the bracelet clasp. At first, I thought my watch was a fake. There is no way a $6k Omega can have an unrefined bracelet clasp! So I went to Omega boutique in Las Vegas to confirm. I surveyed 5 watches:

- two PO 8500s (one 42mm and one 45.5mm)
- one PO chrono
- one SMPc
- one Speedmaster 311.30.42.30.01.006

All five watches had clasp finish that was NOT uniform. It's like someone was polishing the clasp by hand on a rotary wheel. My friend has a 2013 Speedmaster 3573.50. Same issue.... My $1500 Oris Aquis has a PERFECT cast clasp. Why can't a $6,200 Omega?!!!!! Below are pics taken with my iPhone, so the focus is a bit off. But you get the idea.

Another issue. I expect my clasp to be flush with the bracelet. Instead it angles, wobbles and pivots. Notice how the left side of the buckle does not lie flat with the buckle:

When I wear the watch on my right hand, the buckle is flush with the bracelet:

I am not a big fan of Rolex, but I got to give it to them. Their watches are PERFECT. Omega is NOT. If you have money, spending $4k on a used PO 8500 for a "beat around watch" is fine. But if you want a LUXURY watch that is impeccable, look at another brand. Omega is not ready for the LUXURY prime time just yet, no matter the marketing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PO8500 Clasp 1.jpg (55.2 KB, 1036 views)
File Type: jpg PO8500 Clasp 2.jpg (45.6 KB, 1035 views)
File Type: jpg Crappy Clasp 1.jpg (83.6 KB, 1035 views)
File Type: jpg Crappy Clasp 2.jpg (83.1 KB, 1030 views)
File Type: jpg Crappy Clasp 3.jpg (71.2 KB, 1029 views)
scarabei is offline   Reply With Quote