The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 April 2021, 07:40 AM   #61
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The Explorer has been bling-free, SS-only since it came out in the 1950s. Now it's succumbed. Will be an unpopular move, but the SS return to 36mm makes up for it.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:36 AM   #62
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

My prediction is that TT will move like hot cakes.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:38 AM   #63
Prism
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post
I like it - adds some elegance to the watch. Would have preferred in 39mm, but whatever. Hopefully demand is low so I can at least examine one at my AD
Bling bling, that’s what.
Prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:44 AM   #64
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Take that TT Explorer and add that new green leaf dial and diamond 3,6,9 and winner, winner chicken dinner. Yes someone said ladies watch, but I think the 36mm is just a way to get watches that can work for both men and women.
Old 8 April 2021, 08:58 AM   #65
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor BB36
There's nothing wrong with the TT Explorer.

Those who like it will buy it and those who don't like it won't.

See? No problem at all.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:58 AM   #66
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
As I said in another thread, I’m delighted to see the return of the 36mm stainless Explorer. A classic’s classic.

If a diver’s watch, a race car driver’s chronograph, a pilot’s watch, a yacht racer’s watch can be in two tone offerings, then so can an explorer’s watch. I won’t be buying one, but someone will. Obviously, the resurgence of interest in two tone is seen as a trend with “legs” and this was a chance to capitalize on that trend and offer something “new”, an iconic model never before offered in that configuration.

When the stainless model is obtainable only at inflated gray market prices, many buyers will say, “for that money it should have some gold”.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 09:01 AM   #67
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
To me personally, TT Explorer is an abomination. For the wider market, 36mm really hurts they hype potential. The difference between a DD36 blinged and DD40 blinged gives you an idea of the demand for size. I personally love both sizes but after owning the 36, decided on the 39 for my seven incher.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 05:49 PM   #68
SS Oyster
2024 Pledge Member

It’s horrific ... worse that TT SD43!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 06:06 PM   #69
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: SEIKO TUNA
This one was only 34mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_HGK_02627_3554_000(045405).jpg (167.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 8 April 2021, 06:36 PM   #70
Brew
"TRF" Member

It's like watching a birthday party attended by spoiled brats who demand a different flavored icing for "their" cake.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:00 PM   #71
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
This one was only 34mm
OMG they ruined it years ago! I hope everybody now feels better about the new TT.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 08:56 PM   #72
Rohela1122
"TRF" Member

Shoot me, but I love it!

I like it. It reminds me of my TT 36mm Datejust with the Jubilee bracelet that stretched within ten years. This one won’t. At 36mm I could wear it for dress and casual occasions. And The Oyster TT band looks better than the Jubilee.

It is more subdued than only gold. It says “I choose to be this subdued.” Yes, subdued. In my industry the mid levels have gold Rolexes, and the higher levels have AP and PT. And the highest levels have the custom watches. The problem with those watches is they alienate the workers, many of whom wear SS Rolex. So I have been looking for something that lets me move between worlds.

In the East this fits many of the managers who get pushback when they wear obviously high end watches (not saying that Rolex is low end, but this is certainly not the high end of the Rolex line.)

I realize that liking this watch will not be popular, but I think is a very carefully thought out niche product designed for someone who is buying utility and looks, and needs to appeal to a wide audience. It responds nicely to the TT Omega CONSTELLATIONs that have been popular.

So as a business owner who does not care what others think, i will probably purchase one of these.

And is it. “Ladylike?” In a decade of wearing the 36 TT Datejust no one even hinted that it looked ladylike. My wrist is 7.25”, not tiny.

However, my wife does not want me to give up my SS. I think the SS craze will fade, all marketing trends run in cycles. The recent movement to rubber straps, even within Rolex, show that is is happening. Look at the Sky Dweller. Look at rubber strapped watches in PT and VC.
Rohela1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 09:00 PM   #73
samson66
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I thought about this overnight and have yet to come up with a single explanation for what's RIGHT about this release. Can't come up with a single positive.

Just a God awful release for so many reasons. Two Tone on a fucking Explorer??? WTF were they thinking. This may actually be even WORSE than adding a TT Sea Dweller.

Then they eliminate the 39mm version on top of it? Only thing I can come up with is they are going for the women's market with this release. But there are so many other references they could have done this with.

And the marketing crap of people scaling Mt Everest. Yeah a two tone bling machine is the exact watch any normal climber would pick to wear for that journey. Yep, sure makes sense!

Ugghhh disgusted with this release and just about everything Rolex did this year. But this Exp I TT absolutely takes the cake
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 09:11 PM   #74
Jari from Finland
"TRF" Member

I think

that when there are people on watch forums writing about disliking
36 mm TT Exp doesn't mean that those who don't read watch forums wouldn't like it.
Old 8 April 2021, 09:17 PM   #75
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
It’s like a lot of cars, a butt for every seat. I’m sure it will sell well...and face it chaps, most explorer wearers are scaling the elevator or escalator at work not Mt Everest...
Old 8 April 2021, 09:26 PM   #76
David001
Banned

It will sell well in Asia and that's who their target market is.

But you have to laugh, a 36mm TT spelunking watch, lol.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 09:28 PM   #77
capote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I thought about this overnight and have yet to come up with a single explanation for what's RIGHT about this release. Can't come up with a single positive.

Just a God awful release for so many reasons. Two Tone on a fucking Explorer??? WTF were they thinking. This may actually be even WORSE than adding a TT Sea Dweller.

Then they eliminate the 39mm version on top of it? Only thing I can come up with is they are going for the women's market with this release. But there are so many other references they could have done this with.

And the marketing crap of people scaling Mt Everest. Yeah a two tone bling machine is the exact watch any normal climber would pick to wear for that journey. Yep, sure makes sense!

Ugghhh disgusted with this release and just about everything Rolex did this year. But this Exp I TT absolutely takes the cake
Google Submariner Serti dial. That will blow your mind.
Old 8 April 2021, 09:32 PM   #78
Unclebuck
"TRF" Member

A nice women's watch.
Unclebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 10:29 PM   #79
FORTN
Banned

36mm and S&G feinted everyone's expectaton.
FORTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 10:33 PM   #80
Tone
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well said
Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 10:49 PM   #81
Fleetlord
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like a longines

https://www.jomashop.com/longines-wa...SABEgLjIvD_BwE
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:13 PM   #82
richydave99
Banned

Absolutely nothing wrong with it, looks good to me too.
richydave99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2021, 11:53 PM   #83
capote
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
A nice women's watch.
Increase the diameter with 9% to get a regular Alfa male watch, amirite?
Old 8 April 2021, 11:57 PM   #84
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:

I couldn't have said it better myself.