The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 June 2024, 03:57 AM   #1
PowerCosmic41
"TRF" Member

14060m dive extension

I am very close to buying a 14060m submariner but something bothering me is the lack of micro-adjustment and the fact that the diver extension can just open right up with a pull.

I saw recently that Steel Reef has put out some on-the-fly adjustable links for the 5 digit subs and that they “replace” the traditional divers extension. Anyone have experience with these? If I replace that last link that attaches to the diver extension would that stop the clasp from opening with just a tug?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.. just doing tons of research and trying to get all the info before I buy.
PowerCosmic41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 09:46 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Some folks like the mods, get one and try it if you think it will be a better idea.

The diver extension is supposed to come out with a tug and there are 4 micro-adjustment holes in the clasp.
Old 20 June 2024, 10:51 AM   #3
rohada
"TRF" Member

I'm wearing mine right now. I just flipped up the fliplock and popped open the clasp a half dozen times and the extension on mine didn't release. I've been wearing this watch for about 20 days and the extension has yet to release unless I tug it open. Of course, these are older watches and I suppose wear could be a contributing factor to what you are experiencing. Does the clasp or extension pin that locks into the clasp holes look as though it's damaged or been tampered with? I don't know if the easy release is common at this age or not.

The Steel Reef option is intriguing, and I'd probably opt for that if I had an extension that consistently popped open. Good luck to you and let us know what you think if you pursue that option.
Old 20 June 2024, 11:15 AM   #4
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
The dive extension is a friction fit next to where the spring bar (for micro adjustments) holds the that side of the bracelet in the clasp. You can adjust it by bending the extension blades slightly (and I mean slightly), similar to how the closure of the clasp can be tightened or loosened by slightly flexing the clasp blades. For a tighter fit you want them ever so slightly longer so look at the curve and think about how to best accomplish that. Generally, slightly less curve will tighten it up.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 12:40 PM   #5
East of Eden
"TRF" Member

The Steel Reef mod and an AR coated crystal would be perfect
Old 20 June 2024, 12:51 PM   #6
PowerCosmic41
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Some folks like the mods, get one and try it if you think it will be a better idea.

The diver extension is supposed to come out with a tug and there are 4 micro-adjustment holes in the clasp.
Sorry i meant lack of on-the-fly micro adjustments. I know it’s supposed to come out with a tug but I guess I just wish that wasn’t the case and that it was more secure. Seems like it’s not really a problem for people though so thats good.
Old 20 June 2024, 12:58 PM   #7
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
My bracelet is tired and the divers extension comes out easy and it’s still not a problem.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 01:11 PM   #8
PowerCosmic41
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohada View Post
I'm wearing mine right now. I just flipped up the fliplock and popped open the clasp a half dozen times and the extension on mine didn't release. I've been wearing this watch for about 20 days and the extension has yet to release unless I tug it open. Of course, these are older watches and I suppose wear could be a contributing factor to what you are experiencing. Does the clasp or extension pin that locks into the clasp holes look as though it's damaged or been tampered with? I don't know if the easy release is common at this age or not.

The Steel Reef option is intriguing, and I'd probably opt for that if I had an extension that consistently popped open. Good luck to you and let us know what you think if you pursue that option.
I don’t actually have the watch yet but that is good to know that hasn’t been an issue for you. How does the bracelet feel with the hollow end links? Everyone says it is very comfy and still durable.
Old 20 June 2024, 07:17 PM   #9
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: one I'm wearing
I just pinch the sides of the clasp with my hand thumb and index finger
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2024, 07:24 PM   #10
928ktgold
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
I got an eBay version of the steel reaf easy link extension on my 1991 16610 and 2008 16610LV. Game changer. I can now wear the watch tighter yet retain the ability to loosen it if necessary. I’ve worn my 91 sub for about 16 years strait but always wore it a little loose since you had to. Now I can wear it appropriately tapered to my wrist and extend though out the day as my wrist changes. Do it
928ktgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2024, 02:43 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCosmic41 View Post
Sorry i meant lack of on-the-fly micro adjustments. I know it’s supposed to come out with a tug but I guess I just wish that wasn’t the case and that it was more secure. Seems like it’s not really a problem for people though so thats good.
If you can find the modern Glidelock clasp it will bolt right on, as will most other Oyster clasps.
Old 21 June 2024, 06:40 AM   #12
rohada
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCosmic41 View Post
How does the bracelet feel with the hollow end links? Everyone says it is very comfy and still durable.
Of the watches I have below in my signature (if the platform you are using shows them), it's the most comfortable watch I own. Sometimes, I forget I'm wearing it. I'm very pleased with it and as others have said, I think overall wear and tear will have an impact on how well the extension link stays put. For me, it isn't an issue. Enjoy.