The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old Today, 06:01 AM   #31
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I'm not an Omega Speedmaster expert, but this looks a lot like an aged Ed White.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:09 AM   #32
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
The gray-blue dial is really nice. The dirty orange lume, less so.

I much prefer this picture of the watch to the picture at the start of this thread.

I'm not a great fan of the colour of the lume and I can't make my mind up about the alpha hands. I like the size and shape of the case and I like the bracelet and dial.

I suspect that I will have to see and handle the watch to make my mind up about it, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw it was that I'd rather pay a bit more and go the whole hog and get a SS cal 321 which looks like it has the same case, bracelet and dial.

I look forward to seeing one in person, but at the moment, I don't think I'll be getting one.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:23 AM   #33
dennispennis
"TRF" Member

been offered this - is it rare?
dennispennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:47 AM   #34
Seo
"TRF" Member

I really hope they put that new crystal in the regular model.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:03 AM   #35
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I much prefer this picture of the watch to the picture at the start of this thread.

I'm not a great fan of the colour of the lume and I can't make my mind up about the alpha hands. I like the size and shape of the case and I like the bracelet and dial.

I suspect that I will have to see and handle the watch to make my mind up about it, but the first thing that came to mind when I saw it was that I'd rather pay a bit more and go the whole hog and get a SS cal 321 which looks like it has the same case, bracelet and dial.

I look forward to seeing one in person, but at the moment, I don't think I'll be getting one.

“A bit more”….. well, if double the price for the 321 is just a “bit more” then sure, go for it. :-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #36
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennispennis View Post
been offered this - is it rare?
Considering it was just released today, I'd say yes it's rare. You're unlikely to find a lot of other ppl owning one for the next few months until production catches up with demand.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:06 AM   #37
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I'm not an Omega Speedmaster expert, but this looks a lot like an aged Ed White.
I hear you…. But:

Different dial color
Different lume color
Different hands
Different movement
Different thickness
Different bezel material
Different case back
Different clasp
Very different pricing
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:10 AM   #38
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
Surprisingly, the promo photos look way better than the real life photos, at least for the dial. With a lot of watches, I think it's better naturally. Not this one! Nonetheless, I'd love to see one in person eventually.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:16 AM   #39
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: TMTL
It's a YES from me.... 👍
Trogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:51 AM   #40
sasuke
"TRF" Member

saw it in person today, the faux patina was hideous
sasuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:06 AM   #41
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Additional Live Pics

bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:10 AM   #42
dchang81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I hear you…. But:

Different dial color
Different lume color
Different hands
Different movement
Different thickness
Different bezel material
Different case back
Different clasp
Very different pricing
I mean that makes it seems like a lot different watch but ask 100 non omega collectors which is which, I'm gonna guess most wouldn't know. Hands are the only real giveaway to me
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:05 AM   #43
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Like I said, I'm no Speedmaster expert. The "original" Speedmaster has not really interested me to the point of pulling the trigger on one, although I can't state really why. I was much more interested in the ceramic Grey Side more that the Moonwatch and variants.

I really can't tell the difference from the separate Moonwatch models if you just showed pictures of them. I guess the hands and brown lume are the only things that stand out. Can't judge size from just the pictures except if it was on a wrist, but even then, I'm not sure I could gauge the size.

The bracelet looks like an Ed White bracelet, doesn't it? Whatever.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #44
Rebar
"TRF" Member

I'm sure you all actually held the two and actually looked, you would be able to most of the differences. Like you said, pictures don't accurately reflect dial colors and details or convey sizes well. The lume and hands are the most obvious from the from for sure. From the back the sapphire caseback vs closed caseback is obvious of course.

One could say the same about non-Submariner collectors having to differentiate between two subsequent vintage models lines with pictures alone.

I'm sure most discerning watch collectors/enthusiasts could spot the differences when actually inspecting models in the flesh - which is what matters most at the end of the day, no?

Anyways, I'm a fan of the photos. If I didn't have my eye on other pieces, I'd strongly consider this one. This plus the new white moon watch would be a pretty cool Speedy combo. Great that they're both regular production pieces and will be available when the time comes.
Rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #45
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Makes me want the 321 EW more...
Laine V38 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS - Garmin Approach S62
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune/Lava
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:40 PM   #46
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
The brown lume is just a different color. Never understood the hate for this different tone. I think it’s one of Omega’s better SS releases in the past few years.
Cabaiguan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:29 PM   #47
herefortheattachment
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander C. View Post
Why is colored lume bad just because it is similar to a color that some older lumes aged into? My understanding is that new lumes don't change color as they age, so if you want your lume to be blue or green or beige or orange or whatever, you have to apply color to the lume. I don't get why that is considered by some to be a bad thing; it's just a design choice. And here, I think the colored lume makes the watch look better than if the watch was only black and white, just like IMO the true FOIS watches looked better once their lume aged away from white.
Completely agree!
herefortheattachment is offline   Reply With Quote