The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM   #91
so nice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Gert View Post
I canceled my Ellipse order from the London Salon on back of his comments. I told them exactly why. We vote with our wallets.

I'm sure Patek will be fine without this "hater". Seems like they don't want new clients anyways.
Respect
so nice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #92
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagnepapi View Post
Here’s a photo that goes well with the interview:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now we have a watch with the same shape of Thierry Stern’s head.
One day he woke up in front of his mirror and said : whats the most beautiful shape in the world ? My beautifull head. We make a Nautilus out of it
TheHolyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM   #93
inxs777
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15305ST
AND I have huge wrists, I want it to be in 45mm.

Seems like he designed a watch for himself..
inxs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM   #94
edyu
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

If we give him the benefit of the doubt in that maybe he's a geek that's just not very good with diplomacy when he speaks? Could it be that he just doesn't know how to talk to people without being too "direct."

Never mind, as I typed it I realized that it still doesn't excuse him. LOL.
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM   #95
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Having read the magazine article (admittedly a translation), I’m not sure I understand why people are so upset. Even assuming that the article editor represented what was said by TS verbatim, I still don’t read it as an attack on anyone, simply a statement of fact.

I believe this is the quote, but correct me if I’ve misunderstood - ’ We all always get attacked when we launch something new. The haters are mostly people who have never had a Patek and never will. So that doesn't bother me. What counts for me is the result.’

So he cares about the result and only about people who own or will own a Patek Philippe. What’s the issue guys?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #96
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Having read the magazine article (admittedly a translation), I’m not sure I understand why people are so upset. Even assuming that the article editor represented what was said by TS verbatim, I still don’t read it as an attack on anyone, simply a statement of fact.

I believe this is the quote, but correct me if I’ve misunderstood - ’ We all always get attacked when we launch something new. The haters are mostly people who have never had a Patek and never will. So that doesn't bother me. What counts for me is the result.’

So he cares about the result and only about people who own or will own a Patek Philippe. What’s the issue guys?
Because he’s completely crapping on anyone who disagrees with him saying they’re too poor to buy his watch. If you’re a new customer and the owner/president of the company says you’re a loser, would you really want to still buy from them?

Regarding the statement of fact. If your wife asks do I look fat, are you going to say yes you look like a whale? It’s a statement of fact! There’s a right way and wrong way to respond to people and his statement was not how you respond. If he said something like “We understand that new releases are always going to be controversial but ultimately it’s up to the market to decide” then less people wouldn’t have an issue with it. His response comes off as extremely arrogant and entitled coming from a nepo baby trying to prove that he’s not.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #97
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Because he’s completely crapping on anyone who disagrees with him saying they’re too poor to buy his watch. If you’re a new customer and the owner/president of the company says you’re a loser, would you really want to still buy from them?

Regarding the statement of fact. If your wife asks do I look fat, are you going to say yes you look like a whale? It’s a statement of fact! There’s a right way and wrong way to respond to people and his statement was not how you respond. If he said something like “We understand that new releases are always going to be controversial but ultimately it’s up to the market to decide” then less people wouldn’t have an issue with it. His response comes off as extremely arrogant and entitled coming from a nepo baby trying to prove that he’s not.

Exactly. His interview was cringeworthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM   #98
edyu

Quote:

Most people (I assume) in this subforum do or will own a Patek so we are the people that he cares about.
However, it's just like YM2 which I thought is pretty cool with really fun movements and there are people who love them and buys them but many more people dislike them.
Just like YM2, I believe eventually after they downsize the watch, more people will like Cubitus (assuming we didn't get offended by TS's stance and decided to never buy a Patek).
edyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #99
Cru Jones

Quote:

As often happens these days, I think it’s very likely we are misinterpreting an excerpt from an interview lifted out of context. And a translation no less. Perhaps a bad translation….

The simple fact is, MOST people WON’T have a Patek. There aren’t many Pateks.

But, I think we can all agree, there are many easily offended internet warriors looking to pick fights to feel better about their opinions. The so-called “haters” (or whatever word Thierry used in German that was translated as “haters”).

I mean, putting it another way, one is ok with the rather silly/slightly pompous marketing of Patek (“one never owns a Patek….”), but one vilifies the brand due to an out-of-context throw-away sentence in a translated interview?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #100
Breizh
"TRF" Member

Ok, I'll buck the trend here :-)

I kind of like the 5528
Also, I remember how the Aquanaut got a similar reception at launch. When I bought one (in early 2000) I heard a lot of "it's not a real Patek", "a plastic strap! this is the end of Patek" etc...

Now, the cubitus might go a different way and be flop after all, but I think it's too soon to know for sure.
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #101
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:

the issue is that he has declared that he wants to expand his customer base. and then he goes on saying that people who do not like his amateurish mod of the nautilus design are out of it anyway.
that is what is wrong with this attitude. it is snobbish and actually plain stupid from the owner of a company which sells items to the public. actually, this interview has reminded me of what is wrong with PP.
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #102
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

It is interesting how we all read the same interview and draw different conclusions.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM   #103
Mini2
"TRF" Member

What one persons views are different to another.
If you like the watch great if you don't no big deal
At the end of the day its just a watch, Nothing more nothing less.
Its a luxury item that one don't need to make there life any better or worst.
People who are reading between the lines of comments from the owner saying this or that
Don't let it ruin your day, more things to be worried or concerned about than what TS has said about the future of PP
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:13 AM   #104
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The surprise to me is that collectively I've yet to see many rave reviews or passionate excitement for the watch across the spectrum, not just "mostly people who have never had a Patek and never will"

Look at the forum here where we probably represent some of the most enthusiastic passionate lot of owners, on social media where IG is ripping the watch apart with memes, discussions with friends who do (and don't) have Patek, all collectively near revile the watch and can't believe the best they could do was a Nautilus but make it larger and square
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:43 AM   #105
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampelligrino View Post
...discussions with friends who do (and don't) have Patek, all collectively near revile the watch and can't believe the best they could do was a Nautilus but make it larger and square
It is the releases that Thierry Stern and associates chose to do first. Interestingly, many expected something... more. And that is the great thing about Patek Philippe is that we care and are passionate enough to expect... more.

There's a great set of lyrics that, imho, hold true.

"The more you suffer
The more it shows you really care, right?"

We're suffering. We had hoped for... more. We still care.

Love timepieces and want to become a Watchmaker? Rolex has a sensational school.
www.RolexWatchmakingTrainingCenter.com/

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:58 AM   #106
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out whether you are being facetious or being serious.

Assuming you are being serious, here are my reasons why TS' comments are upsetting with me.

First, I don't think it's a misinterpretation either by translation or something that the journalist misrepresented. German speakers have said, on this forum and other public platforms, that this is exactly what TS said. In addition, when a journalist puts something in quotes, that better be verbatim what that person said or else you might as well pay millions to TS as that would be the equivalent of journalistic malpractice. Now, if TS said he was "misquoted", that often means the words were taken out-of-context (the media version of "I didn't mean to offend you, but if I did...."...the most disingenuous statement a public figure can give.)

Second, to put his comments "in context", his statement about Patek owners and wannabe owners was preceded by his comments about how Patek doesn't consult outside designers, that they never do, that the whole Cubitus design was his, etc. Right there, TS is not only factually wrong but also delusional, whilst also exhibiting signs of narcissism.

The very design "linage" of the Cubitus was from a Gerald Genta design.....singularly and famously a Gerald Genta design. To say Patek never goes outside for design help is....I just can't say it more clearly....factually wrong and almost hilariously wrong. The whole Cubitus did not spring out of TS' head like some Roman god. It's a square Nautilus....literally a square Nautilus.

He essentially co-opted another person's design and said that it was "his" design, and not something that came from outside sources.

So, TS needs to get his facts straight, as well as the history of Patek itself before he makes asinine statements like the above.

Which leads me to my third point. TS saying "We all get attacked" when launching something new. Really? WE ALL GET ATTACKED? Who is "all" and what is "always?" This kind of megalomaniacal statement, yet highly passive aggressive, mixed with elements of gas-lighting, would be comical as parody if not for the fact that I think TS is deadly serious.

To day Patek designs are ALWAYS attacked when new, I don't think so. And if by reference he is going by the experience with the Nautilus and Aquanaut, he is quietly forgetting the many, many, many, many designs that Patek has launched that has been praised and admired, loved, and beloved.

This sort of self-pity should frankly be beneath him, but apparently not.

No, TS.....it's the Cubitus that is creating this storm because of the very design you are praising. Time will tell, but conflating the Cubitus reaction to all of Patek's new designs in the past, is just plain misguided.

So the context of this statement about Patek owners or wannabe owners comes from the background of delusion, narcissism, factual inaccuracy, self-pity, defensiveness, and plain arrogance.

So in that context, what do you think he meant when he said that the criticism is coming from non-Patek owners and one's "that never will."

What do you think he means by "never will"?

This is peak elitism, gate-keeping, and the kinda of social status shaming that would be best described as harkening back to the kind of aristocratic mind-think that permeated European culture up until the horrors of WWI and WWII. It is truly a blast from the past.

AND HE'S TRYING TO ATTRACT A NEW GENERATION OF PATEK OWNERS AND COLLECTORS?

Truly, truly, truly misguided.

He doesn't have to care of course. It is his company. I don't have to care either, but somehow it does because of all the baggage his comments carry.

It really makes you second guess in a way high-end watch collecting and what that means. Ultimately, who are you supporting? Do you care?

I guess the same can be said of FP Journe and the controversy surrounding him.

It won't stop me from collecting fine watches, but given the choices out there, the excellence of the many high end watch makers out there, and the competitiveness of this area, I dunno. Do I want to plop down $90k on a watch that makes me feel good when I see it and wear it, but kinda creates a bit of a caveat in my mind...."I'm buying despite that do*che of a guy?"
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:07 AM   #107
TomInNJ
"TRF" Member

Somebody needs to do a "Hitler reacts" video where TS is Hitler learning about the reaction to the Cubitus.
TomInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:20 AM   #108
DGP
"TRF" Member

I have to take back my comments.
Today I called into the London boutique and saw the models. In the flesh they do look far better than in the press photos.
Not sure I’ll put my name down for one, still think my 5811 is prettier but no longer think the Cubitus is such an ugly duckling
DGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:57 AM   #109
Calatrava r

Watch: Rolex and Patek
So, does PP offer an alligator strap option for these watches?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #110
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I'm trying to figure out whether you are being facetious or being serious.

Assuming you are being serious, here are my reasons why TS' comments are upsetting with me.

First, I don't think it's a misinterpretation either by translation or something that the journalist misrepresented. German speakers have said, on this forum and other public platforms, that this is exactly what TS said. In addition, when a journalist puts something in quotes, that better be verbatim what that person said or else you might as well pay millions to TS as that would be the equivalent of journalistic malpractice. Now, if TS said he was "misquoted", that often means the words were taken out-of-context (the media version of "I didn't mean to offend you, but if I did...."...the most disingenuous statement a public figure can give.)

Second, to put his comments "in context", his statement about Patek owners and wannabe owners was preceded by his comments about how Patek doesn't consult outside designers, that they never do, that the whole Cubitus design was his, etc. Right there, TS is not only factually wrong but also delusional, whilst also exhibiting signs of narcissism.

The very design "linage" of the Cubitus was from a Gerald Genta design.....singularly and famously a Gerald Genta design. To say Patek never goes outside for design help is....I just can't say it more clearly....factually wrong and almost hilariously wrong. The whole Cubitus did not spring out of TS' head like some Roman god. It's a square Nautilus....literally a square Nautilus.

He essentially co-opted another person's design and said that it was "his" design, and not something that came from outside sources.

So, TS needs to get his facts straight, as well as the history of Patek itself before he makes asinine statements like the above.

Which leads me to my third point. TS saying "We all get attacked" when launching something new. Really? WE ALL GET ATTACKED? Who is "all" and what is "always?" This kind of megalomaniacal statement, yet highly passive aggressive, mixed with elements of gas-lighting, would be comical as parody if not for the fact that I think TS is deadly serious.

To day Patek designs are ALWAYS attacked when new, I don't think so. And if by reference he is going by the experience with the Nautilus and Aquanaut, he is quietly forgetting the many, many, many, many designs that Patek has launched that has been praised and admired, loved, and beloved.

This sort of self-pity should frankly be beneath him, but apparently not.

No, TS.....it's the Cubitus that is creating this storm because of the very design you are praising. Time will tell, but conflating the Cubitus reaction to all of Patek's new designs in the past, is just plain misguided.

So the context of this statement about Patek owners or wannabe owners comes from the background of delusion, narcissism, factual inaccuracy, self-pity, defensiveness, and plain arrogance.

So in that context, what do you think he meant when he said that the criticism is coming from non-Patek owners and one's "that never will."

What do you think he means by "never will"?

This is peak elitism, gate-keeping, and the kinda of social status shaming that would be best described as harkening back to the kind of aristocratic mind-think that permeated European culture up until the horrors of WWI and WWII. It is truly a blast from the past.

AND HE'S TRYING TO ATTRACT A NEW GENERATION OF PATEK OWNERS AND COLLECTORS?

Truly, truly, truly misguided.

He doesn't have to care of course. It is his company. I don't have to care either, but somehow it does because of all the baggage his comments carry.

It really makes you second guess in a way high-end watch collecting and what that means. Ultimately, who are you supporting? Do you care?

I guess the same can be said of FP Journe and the controversy surrounding him.

It won't stop me from collecting fine watches, but given the choices out there, the excellence of the many high end watch makers out there, and the competitiveness of this area, I dunno. Do I want to plop down $90k on a watch that makes me feel good when I see it and wear it, but kinda creates a bit of a caveat in my mind...."I'm buying despite that do*che of a guy?"
the cubitus is a TS vanity project that has gone wrong, even after having plagiarized the nautilus to extremes. there is only one serious design change, namely taking the case from the nautilus roundish shape to the square form, the rest is THE SAME. even the caliber was taken over, they did not bother to build a square one.
and then we get lectured about taste by the amateur designer TS, who does not even have any type of higher education degree?
ps: the watch looks totally off (too big etc.) even on him. mr. design-boss should have bothered to take a look at the photograph:::)))
Old Today, 04:09 AM   #111
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
I have to take back my comments.
Today I called into the London boutique and saw the models. In the flesh they do look far better than in the press photos.
Not sure I’ll put my name down for one, still think my 5811 is prettier but no longer think the Cubitus is such an ugly duckling
every PP has something to go for it, namely the watchmaking craftsmanship - which is excellent. that shapes IMHO the first impression. it does hide the flaws on first impact.