The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 January 2010, 10:58 PM   #1
640Samuel

Submariner or GMT IIc?

I am brand new to this Forum so hello everyone! I think I may have just found my new place of worship.

Rolex watches have slowly been taking over my life for a couple of years now. I am constantly browsing online and can no longer walk past a jewelers window without casting a hungry eye around for a Rolex! I bought my first, and so far only watch - a used non date Sub - 2 years ago from a dealer on Bond Street in London. I was actually looking for a used Omega Seamaster but had my head turned 360" by the Subs and that was that. I was instantly hooked. I found myself switching the light on in the middle of the night to have a quick look at it, I was so in love with my new purchase.

Anyway, I thought that was it for me, spending £1500 on a watch was a crazy idea and something I wouldn't do again ..... until .... walking past a jewelers recently I saw the 50th anniversary green bezel Sub and had my head turned again (its like some crazy love affair, only better as no one is going to bust your balls for looking at younger models )

Now, even though I can afford it I can't possibly own two watches as my other half would have a fit as she doesn't really believe in material purchases. So, I have now sold my non date and have funds burning a hole in my pocket. But here's the thing, whilst looking at new Subs I discovered a growing attraction for the GMTs. First its was the saucy and vivacious Pepsi model, but more recently I feel compelled towards the GMT Master IIc Black SS. I think it has to be be on of the most attractive watches on the planet. And having read some members posts about peeling the stickers off a new modle, well, I am going crazy with anticipation now I can tell you!

However, here's the thing. I can't decide between a new Sub (possibly 50th anniversary) or the GMT master IIc SS. My question is this.... To those of you who own both, if you had to own either the Sub or the GMT IIc which would it be? Is the GMT as chunky as the sub? Does it give you the same big watch feeling on your wrist? I liket he weight of the sub, you can almost never forget that you have it on. I am torn and so turn to the help and advice of experts (and fellow addicts)

Many thanks in advance!
640Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2010, 11:38 PM   #2
zippaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I have been going through the same dilemma until real recently. I am new to this forum as well and started a thread a few days ago based on the same question. I have decided to go for either the regular (if there is such a thing) 16610 Sub or the 16610LV (green bezel) Sub. The GMT IIc is gorgeous and has all the newest upgrades like the new bracelet, maxi-dial (larger hands and markers) and ceramic bezel. The GMT IIc also has a larger case (slightly) and a more squared off appearance near the crown. I just didn't need the extra 24 hour hand as I do not travel enough for it to make a difference for me but that may be important to you. They are both waterproof, Sub to 1000 ft and the GMT IIC to 300ft I believe. I tried them both on yesterday at my local AD and decided if I could have only one then the Sub was my best bet. Then I saw the 16610LV, uh oh. Now I am simply choosing between those two. Good luck with your choice. There is no bad choice.
zippaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 01:03 AM   #3
bokmeipai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippaul View Post
I have been going through the same dilemma until real recently. I am new to this forum as well and started a thread a few days ago based on the same question. I have decided to go for either the regular (if there is such a thing) 16610 Sub or the 16610LV (green bezel) Sub. The GMT IIc is gorgeous and has all the newest upgrades like the new bracelet, maxi-dial (larger hands and markers) and ceramic bezel. The GMT IIc also has a larger case (slightly) and a more squared off appearance near the crown. I just didn't need the extra 24 hour hand as I do not travel enough for it to make a difference for me but that may be important to you. They are both waterproof, Sub to 1000 ft and the GMT IIC to 300ft I believe. I tried them both on yesterday at my local AD and decided if I could have only one then the Sub was my best bet. Then I saw the 16610LV, uh oh. Now I am simply choosing between those two. Good luck with your choice. There is no bad choice.
Go for the GMTcII the new style bracelet & ceramic bezel is amazing. You will find yourself staring at bezel all the time and forget what time it is. lol !
bokmeipai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 02:57 AM   #4
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
I am a GMT fan... so you can guess my answer !
Old 18 January 2010, 03:01 AM   #5
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Welcome ! Try 'em both on and see which one "sings" to you !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 03:03 AM   #6
nsolga
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc
GMT IIc ... As a former Sub owner, who purchased the GMT IIc and then sold the Sub, I'm biased. However, if what you're looking for is a Rolex with heft and solid feel - GMT it is. The newer bracelet design combined with that smashing bezel will keep you happy for years to come. Don't be swayed by the "the center links scratch easily" clan ... yes, they do scratch easier but, that's because they're polished and IMHO, offer a nice patina that is returned to new by RSC when you turn it in at the five year mark or sooner if you wish for a touch up.

Try them both on though - and you be the judge. I'm sure you'll go GMT. Though, hold on to that Sub otherwise, you'll want to get one of those and go NATO strap - just because is so cool that way.

Past:
16610 SS Sub Date
nsolga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 03:04 AM   #7
kzm40
"TRF" Member

Remember with the Sub LV you can get a black insert, that you can swap, feels like two watches in one...
kzm40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 03:05 AM   #8
Phil G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
Completely agree! But I have both a GMT and GMT IIc and love them both. In some ways I think the older GMT Master is a more elegant watch, but the new IIc is just an incredible timepiece. The Sub is a bit more basic, and with either the black or green bezel, very clean and classic. Can't lose either way.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 03:08 AM   #9
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 SUBMARINER Patron

Watch: GMT's
I'm not a fan of the green..........but many are and this year may be your last opportunity to get one if you feel that you want to put a green watch on every day...............

But the GMT is a great reference, and the new ones are very popular.......... I believe it is because of their striking resemblance to the Sub but with modern updates..

That brings us to the new Sub ceramic that will be released in a few weeks, or at least announced....

........... If you truly like/want the Sub, but are drawn to the modern GMT........... I might put off that purchase for a while..
Old 18 January 2010, 03:16 AM   #10
everose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
AGREED....ON UR WRIST....ONE WILL RISE ABOVE THE OTHER.....JUST TRY THEM.....SOMETIMES A BUNCH OF ADVICE ONLY MAKES MATTERS MORE CONFUSING!!!!!

THEY ARE EQUALLY AMAZING WATCHES.

GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME!!
everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 03:44 AM   #11
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

If you want the best watch that Rolex produced in the 20th Century, go for a Submariner. If you want the best watch that Rolex offers today, get the GMT IIc - for me, it'd be the GMT every time, the new bracelet, clasp, maxi case and polished centre links make it a truly beautiful watch

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 06:59 AM   #12
petesjag
"TRF" Member

I went through the very same choice this past month.. I spent weeks looking at pictures of the LV and GMT IIC... One day I decided on the LV the next the GMT IIC.

In the end I went with the GMT because it has more to offer in regard to usage..Time zones ect....I too love the fact that it resembles the sub but has the extra pizaaz, such as that beautiful ceramic numbered dial (LOVE the font style), the green GMT hand and green text on the dial, the maxi dial and not least that awsome bracelet..I also like the fact that its 40mm but looks bigger because of the supercase and the slightly bigger bezel.. For just 500 euros more then the LV I could not justify letting it go..

My AD also helped me decide as he saw the choice as an easy decision soley based on the upgrades/price comparison...

The LV is a real beauty but choices had to be made.........If I had a million, I would have walked away with both!!!!!
petesjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 07:52 AM   #13
Bullyterrier
"TRF" Member

I prefer the submariner LV.
I am not a fan of the oversized lugs on the new super cases or the polished centre links on the bracelet of the GMT.
Old 18 January 2010, 09:52 AM   #14
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
Welcome to the forum!
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 10:01 AM   #15
jamesworthy52
"TRF" Member

I would go with the GMT IIc but I have not owned both. I chose the GMT IIc because I have a bigger wrist and like the bigger appearance on my wrist. I also appreciate the upgrades... I like to know I have the "latest and greatest" when spending that much $$$.
jamesworthy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 10:04 AM   #16
mdx77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640Samuel View Post
..... until .... walking past a jewelers recently I saw the 50th anniversary green bezel Sub and had my head turned again (its like some crazy love affair, only better as no one is going to bust your balls for looking at younger models )
I felt the same way! Go with the LV!!!!
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the BLUE pill - the story ends; you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the RED pill - you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Rolex Submariner 116610LV Hulk | Rolex GMT 16710 Pepsi | Omega Speedmaster “Speedy Tuesday” | Tudor Black Bay 79220R “ETA Rose” | Tudor Pelagos Blue Dial | Rolex Submariner Yellow Gold 116618LB | Rolex Milgauss “Z-Blue” 116400GV
mdx77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 10:10 AM   #17
mascot

Watch: 16570
Welcome! Remember, you wil get addicted to this forum like me and other TRF members

I love th LV and hope to buy it this month but I have just like you also looked a the GMTII after hanging here on TRF all weekend. Its really nice and looks so modern with the larger case and ceramic bezel. To be honest i have to think twice these coming weeks before making a decision... but the LV still feels more like me as a person...

Give it more time thats my advice and good luck!
mascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 10:16 AM   #18
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Sub LV + extra black bezel insert.
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 10:22 AM   #19
rfknauss
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5513 Sub, LV Sub
Try them both on your wrist at your local Rolex AD. One of them will "sing" to you. That is the one! Personally, that is how I ended up with my LV Sub.

"Few things in life give man as great a pleasure as wearing a Rolex!"

TRF's "AFTER DARK" Bar & NightClub Patron
rfknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 11:29 AM   #20
Daytonamania
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona/DSSD/LV
Welcome fellow brit to the best Rolex forum on the net.
Not such a bad dilemma to be in and no loss either way ,they are both great choices and neither will disappoint.
For me would be the GMT every time, enjoy.
Daytonamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 12:43 PM   #21
wgs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 000
If you truly like/want the Sub, but are drawn to the modern GMT........... I might put off that purchase for a while..[/QUOTE]

wgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 11:58 PM   #22
640Samuel

Wow, thanks for so much all your advice and opinions! I'm still undecided but once I have made the decision I will no doubt submit my (gushy) review!

I have been swatting up on how to spot a fake GMT also as am looking at a couple of used models (saves VAT!) So far the best advice I have found is to look at the hand stack. Anyone else got any pointers?
640Samuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 01:00 AM   #23
crushnbugs

GMT ii all the way

I love them both, I have my sights on the GMT iic first and then the sub, if affordable just do both!

crushnbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 01:33 AM   #24
looking to buy
"TRF" Member

I have both. I find that I am drawn to the sub. I would probably keep it, if I could only keep one watch.
Old 19 January 2010, 01:35 AM   #25
painter76

Watch: sub 16610 k series
GMT II Ceramic + 14060M (don't matter if 2 or 4 line).
painter76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 01:46 AM   #26
brkanand
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 4=YMDaytonaGMTHulk
Welcome to TRF. Buy one of them now and the other one later. Goodluck!
brkanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 02:21 AM   #27
chrisok

Watch: Rolex,PAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkanand View Post
Welcome to TRF. Buy one of them now and the other one later. Goodluck!
I agree with this..am also having the same dilemma! im gonna buy a sub and then gmt is next...then explorer...then...omg!!!!!!
chrisok is offline   Reply With Quote