The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 December 2019, 05:31 PM   #31
Ihatecheese
Banned

Cash in on trademark infringement? Or release a model with slightly different hands, bezel or face in an existing watch case and make the forum's go wild!!! ��
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 06:14 PM   #32
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
There is an interesting read about the upgraded 3235 movement. the current sub lineup (date) has the 3135 and the 3235 came out in 2015. It is now in the pearlmaster, and then was used in the new sea dweller, as well as the new DJ41 from last year. Looks to me like a new watch has been added each year the movement has been out, starting in 2015 with the pearlmaster, sea dweller and then DJ41. Here is a good read about it:

https://beckertime.com/blog/the-rolex-caliber-3235-2/

My guess is this year there will be an introduction of another watch, as Rolex ramps up production of this movement and sells out the 3135.

From my research, the 3135 has been in the following watches: Submariner, Sea-Dweller, Deepsea, Yacht-Master, Datejust. It seems that EVERY watch now has the new movement EXCEPT for the Submariner. THE 3235 is now in the Datejust 41, Datejust 36, Sea-Dweller 43, Deepsea, Yacht-Master 40, and Yacht-Master 42.

Ignoring for a second HYPE, MARKETING, NEW COLORS/DESIGNS, ETC, from a business and efficiency perspective, the next stop is the submariner. It makes zero sense for a company to continue to produce one watch using that movement. Considering they probably already re-tooled their production line and movement line, it doubt they are even producing the 3135 at this time. My guess is they left the submariner to be updated last in this product line and to use up remaining inventory of the 3135, which i am sure there are thousands sitting on the shelf, given they have switched over to the new movement already. I am assuming that the sub will be updated this year or next year, based on movements already produced... and only Rolex will know based on the amounts they have sitting on the shelf whether they can make it another 1-2 years selling these watches. Its a numbers game for them, based on the number of Sub sales vs number of 3135 movements left.

just my speculation based on some business logic. i just cant see them using this movement in only 1 watch. I also initially objected to the thought the no date sub would be discontinued, but thinking more and more about it, they would have to develop a new movement for it as well (i.e. 3230, which none of us have heard of). There is a lot going on right now, with an entire movement change for many watches. I am actually thinking the ND sub might not be updated/DC'd for a year or two after the new sub is released, to give them time to produce the new movement, and let them breath with all these movement upgrades, etc. They will then intro it at some later Baselworld. Maybe this will be our MILSUB
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 06:16 PM   #33
glamorama
"TRF" Member

This can be a way to separate the Submariner range. Let the Submariner become Milsub and Submariner Date the 'civilian' version with date. Differentiating factor will be the hands. Potentially something with rubber/bracelet don't think they go full nato.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2019, 11:58 PM   #34
Kestrel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
The search was expired for the link posted and my search for "MILSUB" turned up nothing.
Go to Tess and search for us application 88408841.

Click on TTAB status button to see the cancellation proceeding or the TSDR button to see the application status.

Link to Tess

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfi...801:3lzn9w.2.1
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 12:11 AM   #35
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

One wonders if it has something to do with Omega launching a curiously vintage-ish James Bond Seamaster.

https://fortune.com/2019/12/04/no-ti...amaster-watch/
WatchThinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 02:32 AM   #36
Kestrel
"TRF" Member

Speculation on my part but I think the whole thing was just to clear the register of that mark. I’d be shocked if they release a new milsub. Maybe under Tudor. But if they did a 5 digit like case with an aluminum bezel on a nato with sword hands and milsub marked dial...
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 07:56 AM   #37
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
If there was a Milsub reissue, it would be a Tudor. The average Rolex buyer would take one look at a vintage inspired dial and nylon strap, say "what is this piece of junk" and walk out of there with a two tone DJ
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 08:00 AM   #38
RTG
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
please please please be a 5517 re-release.
That would be super awesome.

Not my picture:
Old 18 December 2019, 08:04 AM   #39
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
If there was a Milsub reissue, it would be a Tudor. The average Rolex buyer would take one look at a vintage inspired dial and nylon strap, say "what is this piece of junk" and walk out of there with a two tone DJ
You don't think Rolex would make a Platinum Milsub with full bracelet and include an additional NATO at a extreme extra charge?
Old 18 December 2019, 08:06 AM   #40
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
I wouldn’t get wrapped around the axle on this one. Maybe Rolex did it to block omega from stealing it on their new Bond Seamaster being released in 2020:
. My guess is as good as anyone else’s
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 10:40 PM   #41
blada4life
"TRF" Member

I wanted to resurrect my post from last year as I am thinking more and more we may get some sort of submariner and maybe even a mil sub version. We know that Tudor kind of did it. Can’t believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 12:44 AM   #42
mav3rick
"TRF" Member

5517 milsub the only rolex i will sell my entire rolex collection for...
mav3rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 01:37 AM   #43
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbanzoNegro View Post
Where do I have to sign?
You're place to sign is way waaaaaaaaaaay
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down on the list at around spot number 126,769 as of this writing. You are one of the lucky ones as the list is already in the seven digits.

All jokes aside(not really), just because of the name this will be harder to get than a Daytona. Knowing Rolex and how it looks forward, it won't look anything like the original except for just having sword hands, if that.
It will have a maxi dial, super case, white gold hour markers, ceramic bezel in a satin matte dial. I would love it, but a whole bunch of people that were never even into Rolex when the original was out will cry like babies that it isn't like the original.
*Or Rolex will give it over to Tudor to make something nostalgic as seems to be the norm.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 01:47 AM   #44
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Do we think this is a serious contender for the 2020 Rolex release
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 02:11 AM   #45
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I'll bet a dollar that Rolex just wants the rights to the name to reign in the homage makers.
Hundred percent that and to protect it's heritage and history as the only brand to officially have a true MILSUB(military Submariner) dive watch.
They want to make it clear that in todays social media driven world and internet connected world, that if anyone says or uses the term MilSUB, they are referring to a Rolex.
I know that's what I think of, I assume they want to make sure.
Old 26 August 2020, 02:13 AM   #46
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba View Post
Do we think this is a serious contender for the 2020 Rolex release
No, not even a remote chance.
Old 26 August 2020, 02:31 AM   #47
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
The average Rolex buyer will buy anything that says Rolex on the dial and is available at an AD.

Rolex could take away features and charge more and people would line up to buy.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 03:04 AM   #48
RedViola
"TRF" Member

Reissuing the Milsub would be the desperate last act of a dying brand. Surely(?) Rolex have to be keeping this in their back pocket for a rainy decade and not wasting it at the apex of their arc as a cultural force.
RedViola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 03:06 AM   #49
M45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedViola View Post
Reissuing the Milsub would be the desperate last act of a dying brand. Surely(?) Rolex have to be keeping this in their back pocket for a rainy decade and not wasting it at the apex of their arc as a cultural force.
This would involve placing it on a NATO strap and tritium, neither of which the company is known for.

A watch inspired by the military diver without these things would be silly.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 03:19 AM   #50
RedViola
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
This would involve placing it on a NATO strap and tritium, neither of which the company is known for.

A watch inspired by the military diver without these things would be silly.
Details, details...I'm sure some of the best marketing minds on the planet could sell the hell out of a "vintage-inspired" Milsub if they had to.

Point taken though.

Last edited by RedViola; 26 August 2020 at 03:19 AM.. Reason: Typo
RedViola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 04:19 AM   #51
illiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedViola View Post
I think Rolex simply wants to control the monikers by which its timepieces are referenced as. It’s all about control of brand, image, and likeness.

Don’t hold your breath for a re-issued Milsub that is available to the general public.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2020, 06:05 AM   #52
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
MilSub reissue...LOL...not gonna happen. This is Rolex we’re talking about folks. A different color bezel, new movement and call it a day.