The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 27 January 2022, 08:44 PM   #31
Zazzles
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
There’s no right or wrong answer tbh.. it’s just that it’s nice to have one that is related to the 50th anniversary. 1972-2022. Personally it’s a great thing to add to the collection with that extra little touch at the back. But hey one can daydream right haha!

Had a brief chat with the SA about getting a ROC this morning. Asked for a ROC in Khaki Green with the 50th anniversary. Told me to get a CODE or a ROO. Said Goodbye to AP. The end.
Was that suggesting to buy a roo and you'd get a 16202? Or suggesting that you have zero chance at a ro so might as well buy a roo?
Zazzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 09:02 PM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I hope this is meant in the right spirit of attracting genuine new buyers to AP, but with prices so out of control it will attract a large flipper, even if new to watches, contingent so they will really have to research new buyers. This new buyers idea was mentioned by Thierry at PP a few years ago as to why he priced the new Pilot watch releases so low, but as he didn't understand market economics then, they never went anywhere near new buyers as ADs only sold/gifted them to VIPs who then flipped them and the price soon went sky high and out of the reach of all new buyers. So it will have to be done thru direct vetting and allocation, not the market.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 09:08 PM   #33
Mr.GL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Is it bad that I don't want the 50th anniversary rotor? I prefer the original coat of arms one.
Why is it bad???. Just go for what you want and do what you like. What matters is the brand , movement or the aesthetic...

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Mr.GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 09:27 PM   #34
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon7

It's all just words......until you "get the call" (or message) that you've been allocated something that you'd like to buy for your AP collection.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 09:34 PM   #35
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
It's all just words......until you "get the call" (or message) that you've been allocated something that you'd like to buy for your AP collection.
After last night I just want to add more stuff to the list.
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 09:59 PM   #36
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
I'm sure there are a number of Non-AP celebrities they'd be happy to welcome to the AP family.
I'm so relieved! Now every pro footballer and basketball player has an equal opportunity to get a Royal Oak. To be inclusive, perhaps some gold medalists from the Olympics should be allowed to put their names on the lists. Not silver medalists, though.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 10:19 PM   #37
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazzles View Post
Was that suggesting to buy a roo and you'd get a 16202? Or suggesting that you have zero chance at a ro so might as well buy a roo?
Nope. I did not ask for a 16202. No interest in the Jumbo as I already have the 15500. I asked for the ROC in SS with the khaki green dial. I said I prefer to have one with the 50th anniversary rotor due to its significance. Then came the standard reply: demand exceed supply bla bla, might not be able to get it bla bla, put on the interest list bla bla. So I got pissed and said that every AP watch is not possible to get, might as well pursue something else. Here comes the finishing touch - buy a f**king CODE or a ROO. I waved goodbye to the AP ‘family’ after that.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 10:20 PM   #38
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
After last night I just want to add more stuff to the list.
Have you bought anything new yet? As we all know getting on the ladder is the key and building that relationship if you can.
Old 27 January 2022, 11:04 PM   #39
Richtw
"TRF" Member

Its an interesting concept thats for sure. As someone looking to buy into AP i have been into AP house a couple of times last time was January but AP had nothing to sell (well to me anyway), have my name on a 'list', have dropped a few e-mails (never get a reply probably due to the 1000 other e-mails coming in).

Its probably cost me more $$ in time chasing AP than anything else, not sure if i am just wasting my time as the so called relationship building surely has to go both ways? If I am wasting my time i'd really appreciate just being told to f*&k off (politely of course)! I find the whole situation a bit bizarre? Not sure how others have found it?
Richtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 11:36 PM   #40
ramenlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nope. I did not ask for a 16202. No interest in the Jumbo as I already have the 15500. I asked for the ROC in SS with the khaki green dial. I said I prefer to have one with the 50th anniversary rotor due to its significance. Then came the standard reply: demand exceed supply bla bla, might not be able to get it bla bla, put on the interest list bla bla. So I got pissed and said that every AP watch is not possible to get, might as well pursue something else. Here comes the finishing touch - buy a f**king CODE or a ROO. I waved goodbye to the AP ‘family’ after that.
I seem to recall that you have a handsome 5968g. Seeing that you got such an in-demand piece, surely you understand how the game is played. Either you got it at retail after purchase of several dress Pateks or you bought it for a huge premium on the market. So why condemn AP?
ramenlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 11:43 PM   #41
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenlover View Post
I seem to recall that you have a handsome 5968g. Seeing that you got such an in-demand piece, surely you understand how the game is played. Either you got it at retail after purchase of several dress Pateks or you bought it for a huge premium on the market. So why condemn AP?
Probably because Patek has multiple interesting offerings, while AP has Code and Millenium to get the door opens to the RO…

I’m fine buying day dates to get a GMT. I’m not fine buying a Code for a shot at RO.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 11:56 PM   #42
ramenlover
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrimontgomery View Post
Probably because Patek has multiple interesting offerings, while AP has Code and Millenium to get the door opens to the RO…

I’m fine buying day dates to get a GMT. I’m not fine buying a Code for a shot at RO.
And that is not your fault at all. But it is also not AP’s fault that the Offshores or Codes are not to your taste. Since they have plenty of clients who do like them, why not prioritise allocating watches to those who appreciate their other model lines as well?
ramenlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 12:07 AM   #43
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ahhhh I was expecting this question!
First of all my Rolex/Patek AD does not hold me ransom to get another watch. I bought many watches across multiple brands but all of it is done ON MY OWN ACCORD. Maybe for you it’s different, but I fight tooth and nail to not sell a watch to fund the next purchase and I hope it stays that way. So if I buy a watch which I have slight reservation, it will be the first to leave and I hate that.
Secondly, if I can get certain watches I want without buying other things why do I have to play the game with AP?
Thirdly, and this is most crucial one. I might have something coming this year which is amazing. So with finite resources there are cost opportunities and unfortunately the pursuit of a deeper relationship with AP has to give way.
Fourth- I actually turned down a black dial ROC 26331 last year and I told the SA very clearly why. We all saw the new ROC coming with in-house movement and sapphire caseback. They know I’m not a flipper when I could have just agreed to buy the watch and flip it for 2x MSRP. I told him/her that I will be back for the next ROC when it has both those issues addressed. And this is the outcome.
Overall, I don’t condemn AP. I think the releases are spectacular or else I wouldn’t be making a phone call first thing in the morning. But sometimes people see things differently and they take a different route. If AP is insisting on a CODE or a ROO before considering future purchases then it’s a little difficult to continue. Things that are forced won’t have happy endings.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 02:17 AM   #44
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me tell you this: if you want the standard variant, without the 50th anniversary rotor, it may be possible after a few years wait. No guarantee. If you want the ones with the 50th anniversary rotor, GOOD F**KING LUCK if you believe what FHB said. One year production run, with limited numbers, and it’s going to new customers? I have a bridge to sell you.
I’m not expecting Horoloupe to have one then!
Is the 50th anniversary rotor only on the new references announced yesterday, for 2022? For example will a 15500 produced in 2022 have the 50th rotor?
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 03:24 AM   #45
neal.jy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 26240st,26420ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Is the 50th anniversary rotor only on the new references announced yesterday, for 2022? For example will a 15500 produced in 2022 have the 50th rotor?
Based on an interview that FHB did with Austen Chu (Horoloupe), he said that all watches AP produces this year will apparently have the 50-yr rotor.. so while he didn’t explicitly say the existing models would also have the rotor, that was my assumption from watching the interview.
neal.jy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2022, 08:51 AM   #46
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neal.jy View Post
Based on an interview that FHB did with Austen Chu (Horoloupe), he said that all watches AP produces this year will apparently have the 50-yr rotor.. so while he didn’t explicitly say the existing models would also have the rotor, that was my assumption from watching the interview.
Thanks, for context that’s why I was asking the question. FHB may have meant “all new references”. Really hope we can get an answer to this as I much prefer the traditional rotor.
Vince_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 12:35 PM   #47
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
: (

I was just told that 50th rotor collection will be extremely limited and rare. Also, the majority have been pre-allocated.
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 02:16 PM   #48
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eal15 View Post
I was just told that 50th rotor collection will be extremely limited and rare. Also, the majority have been pre-allocated.

I got a largely similar message. The reality is demand is too high but at least these are main line releases that will be around for years to come so there’ll be more opportunities to come, albeit without the special rotor but I can live with that
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2022, 02:38 PM   #49
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eal15 View Post
The boutique told me that they "will do their best". Oh well, there's always next year
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 03:38 PM   #50
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
What a smart statement- hope is a powerful tool and now everyone and their mom will flood to the boutiques with the hope they get one
Can't imagine it gets any worse.

Last time I was at AP Beverly Hills, maybe December before they shutdown for remodeling, speaking with the group, they said EVERY 30 minutes someone comes in asking for a RO. I was there for ~15 minutes and two people off the street walked in inquiring.

Insanity. I do hope and believe from talking with AP corporate they REALLY want to bring new individuals and collectors into the brand. The focus will always continue to favor true enthusiasts, new or existing to the brand.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Off Shore Gulf Blue 26238 || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 03:45 PM   #51
tifamo
"TRF" Member

Lol if that statement from Francois is true, that means AP will sell to a newbie who just walks into the store rather than a customer who has spent $50k on a CODE and been on the waitlist since a year ago?

That simply can’t be true. Unless AP is producing crazy quantities. Last time I saw such statement was from Kanye who promised everyone a pair of Yeezys. He did deliver what he promised, prices for Yeezys also went from 5x MSRP to < MSRP overnight. AP won’t do that
tifamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 04:19 PM   #52
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifamo View Post
Lol if that statement from Francois is true, that means AP will sell to a newbie who just walks into the store rather than a customer who has spent $50k on a CODE and been on the waitlist since a year ago?

That simply can’t be true. Unless AP is producing crazy quantities. Last time I saw such statement was from Kanye who promised everyone a pair of Yeezys. He did deliver what he promised, prices for Yeezys also went from 5x MSRP to < MSRP overnight. AP won’t do that
The quote was "non-AP clients", which doesn't necessarily mean newbies/random people from the street. I'm sure APs sees collectors of other brands, as well as other prominent figures, who they'd like to bring into the AP family.

Production will be ramped up very gradually. Their new production facility under construction is supposed to have 60k/year capacity, from ~45k now.
Old 30 January 2022, 04:44 PM   #53
911AP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
The quote was "non-AP clients", which doesn't necessarily mean newbies/random people from the street. I'm sure APs sees collectors of other brands, as well as other prominent figures, who they'd like to bring into the AP family.

Production will be ramped up very gradually. Their new production facility under construction is supposed to have 60k/year capacity, from ~45k now.
This is correct. It's not newbies to watch collecting. The non-AP clients are like big buyers from RM, Patek, Rolex......

Still impossible.
911AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 02:54 AM   #54
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And that is not your fault at all. But it is also not AP’s fault that the Offshores or Codes are not to your taste. Since they have plenty of clients who do like them, why not prioritise allocating watches to those who appreciate their other model lines as well?
Bingo. There are a number of models in the RO, ROO and CODE lines I like. For PP, outside of the Nautilus, I'd only be interested in the Aquanaut Chrono and maybe the green dial, steel bracelet 5905. My conclusion from that however is not the PP is an evil, mono-watch brand ignoring their would-be customers. It's just that they are not for me, time to move on.
Old 31 January 2022, 03:33 AM   #55
tifamo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post
This is correct. It's not newbies to watch collecting. The non-AP clients are like big buyers from RM, Patek, Rolex......

Still impossible.

Oh I see… then yea I was being naive
tifamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 05:45 AM   #56
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Have you bought anything new yet? As we all know getting on the ladder is the key and building that relationship if you can.
Nope not yet been waiting since 2019
Old 31 January 2022, 06:30 AM   #57
GW44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Nope not yet been waiting since 2019
Sorry to hear that.

Have you tried dealing with AP House directly? Apologies if that’s a route you’re still on.
Old 31 January 2022, 06:50 AM   #58
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that.

Have you tried dealing with AP House directly? Apologies if that’s a route you’re still on.
To be honest its a minefield and the guys selling these watches have a impossible task to try and get watches on everyone who wants them.
If its meant to be I'll get one and if not so be it.
Old 31 January 2022, 08:04 AM   #59
CAWatchLove
Banned

If he actually implements this in boutiques and they ACTUALLY gibe them to new people with no history I think that’s really cool. But loyal clients should get too. Split them between both.
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 11:04 AM   #60
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911AP View Post

Still impossible.
After speaking to my SA, this seems to be the most accurate statement here.
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote