The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 October 2023, 02:31 AM   #31
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdweller View Post
i have a larger wrist and love mine. no comfort issues. i'm a big fan of the matte dial and red text
Agree. Mine gets a huge amount of wrist time.
Enjoying: Daytona, Submariner Hulk, Bluesy, Seadweller, Explorer, White Milgauss, DJ41 fluted and mint green. Oyster Perpetual 41 green dial, Oyster Perpetual 39 grape dial, Oyster Perpetual 41 Celebration dial, Tudor BB Harrods edition, Tudor BB 41 Burgundy (metas edition).
Oldwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 02:44 AM   #32
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

It's the watch that Rolex snobs love to hate. But this is the problem with the Rolex fan clubs.

They b*tch and moan about it having a cyclops for example. Sea-Dwellers and Deep Seas are never, ever, ever, every supposed to have a cyclops. Why....that's an insult to humanity.

It's too big. But the Deep Sea is not. And that monstrosity of the Deep Sea Challenge....well, that's a technological marvel!

It's too big! It's too small! It's too medium!

The red text....that's an insult to the 1680! The Rolex Bible say "Thou shalt never have a Submariner like watch with red text other than a 1680 revival. If thou forsake such commandment, thou shalt suffer the consequence of lower resale value!!!!"

Seriously, it's an awesome, handsome, watch that is more capable than the regular Sub-Date and Sub, and infinitely more wearable than a Deep Sea, everyday wearable.

The cyclops does make the hilariously small date windows on Rolex sport watches more legible, and if it's good on regular Subs and GMT Master IIs, Day-Dates, Date-Justs, Yachtmasters, Sky-Dwellers.....I have no idea why there is such an reaction against the SD43 having one.

To me, it's the sweet spot of the Rolex Sub line, and in its current form, standout from the earlier SD line, which to me, did not distinguish itself apart from the Sub in pretty much every way possible.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 03:18 AM   #33
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
For me, it's the best looking Sea-Dweller ever made, the best all-around diver there is and my favourite Rolex piece. I'm fine with the fact it's not popular, makes it even more distinct and special, if anything.

The regular Sub is objectively a great piece of course, but to me it's nothing special. I never wanted one, not even when I started this hobby 20 years ago. The SD43 adressed the issues I had with the Sub40 116610 (supercase, smallish size and ubiquity). I own a TT blue Sub41 because there is no TT blue SD43.

I look at my SS SD43 and it's purposeful, has a gritty demeanour, looks badass. Great size and proportions. Unique charcoal dial, almost tropical. The single red line reminds us of its pedigree. The sexy lugs are almost integrated with the end links of a generously wide bracelet perfectly tapered at the clasp. My ageing eyes are grateful of the cyclops' excellent magnification. Sharp cutting teeth on the bezel to remind us of its predatory nature. Make no mistake, it's a beast, a killing machine. This thing hits you hard. Nothing comes close in terms of overall package. To me, it's perfect.

I still vividly remember the first time I saw it at the AD in 2017 and tried it on, a mic drop moment. The kind of first impression you won't forget in a lifetime. I took it home, of course. So glad I did.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 04:18 AM   #34
koronet-kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: deep-sea Comex
I wear mine 90% more than my LV sub SD is best diver in the line up IMHO
koronet-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 04:31 AM   #35
nnicot
"TRF" Member

Still looks and feels great every time I wear it, although I have mine on a rubber strap (darn nickel allergy). Putting on a sub feels like something's missing after living with the SD43
nnicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 05:02 AM   #36
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Plenty of love if you can wear it comfortably but it was the most uncomfortable Rolex watch for most of us that has owned it. That raised tapered case back digs in to the wrist unlike any other Rolex model including its big brother DSSD. Creates a painful pressure point regardless how it is sized.

Exactly, can’t believe Rolex ever put this in to production, the protruding case back is a major design flaw
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 06:42 AM   #37
cleansocks
"TRF" Member

If it had a glossy black dial rather than matt I would want it
cleansocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 08:30 AM   #38
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
It's the watch that Rolex snobs love to hate. But this is the problem with the Rolex fan clubs.

They b*tch and moan about it having a cyclops for example. Sea-Dwellers and Deep Seas are never, ever, ever, every supposed to have a cyclops. Why....that's an insult to humanity.

It's too big. But the Deep Sea is not. And that monstrosity of the Deep Sea Challenge....well, that's a technological marvel!

It's too big! It's too small! It's too medium!

The red text....that's an insult to the 1680! The Rolex Bible say "Thou shalt never have a Submariner like watch with red text other than a 1680 revival. If thou forsake such commandment, thou shalt suffer the consequence of lower resale value!!!!"

Seriously, it's an awesome, handsome, watch that is more capable than the regular Sub-Date and Sub, and infinitely more wearable than a Deep Sea, everyday wearable.

The cyclops does make the hilariously small date windows on Rolex sport watches more legible, and if it's good on regular Subs and GMT Master IIs, Day-Dates, Date-Justs, Yachtmasters, Sky-Dwellers.....I have no idea why there is such an reaction against the SD43 having one.

To me, it's the sweet spot of the Rolex Sub line, and in its current form, standout from the earlier SD line, which to me, did not distinguish itself apart from the Sub in pretty much every way possible.

This ^^^. And well said. I’m on my second go round with it and for whatever reason, it’s just as comfortable as my DSSD.
I like “bigger” Rolex, so to me it checks all the boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:07 AM   #39
DadsSub
"TRF" Member

It's an absolutely legendary Rolex and my favorite. It's a chunky stainless steel dive watch. And should be worn with the dive extension at all times. Any wrist size can wear it if it's fitted correctly. You just have to take the time to move the links around. My wrist is 6.75 and it fits like a glove.
DadsSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 11:59 AM   #40
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Plenty of love if you can wear it comfortably but it was the most uncomfortable Rolex watch for most of us that has owned it. That raised tapered case back digs in to the wrist unlike any other Rolex model including its big brother DSSD. Creates a painful pressure point regardless how it is sized.

This ^
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 08:17 PM   #41
1st amg
2024 ROLEX SUBMARINER 41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Wait until this finally gets discontinued one day....then everyone will want one.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 08:42 PM   #42
2thdock
2024 Pledge Member

I love mine. I like that it’s a little different then the Sub. Love the cyclops. There is lots of love for DayDate, and it has a cyclops , so I don’t get the hate. Rolex trademark in my mind.
Old 18 October 2023, 08:45 PM   #43
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
That may be true for some people, likely depends on wrist shape and size. It's never been painful for me, feels like my other "flat" watches.
Also depends on how you wear it. I like my watches loose enough to get a finger in between my wrist and the bracelet and consequently my SD43 wears very comfortably and I love it.

I can see if you were a "wear 'em tight" fella with prominent wrist bones the shape of the case back might be a problem.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 08:48 PM   #44
Will866
"TRF" Member

I love it. If you see one near retail, grab it

Last edited by Will866; 18 October 2023 at 08:48 PM.. Reason: Typo
Will866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:21 PM   #45
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
Don’t own one now, but I have in the past, and probably will own one again at some point. Great watch IMO !
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:48 PM   #46
shalako
"TRF" Member

Wait for it to be discontinued and it will be the best Rolex ever made - just like the SD4000 was, which no one wanted when it was readily available.
I think they are superb, very underrated.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:53 PM   #47
brandrea

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Wait until this finally gets discontinued one day....then everyone will want one.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 09:57 PM   #48
Bartolo
"TRF" Member

I just like the proportions of the 16600 much better, much like I vastly prefer my 16610LV to newer iterations.

The wider bezels make my eye "shrink" or "crowd" the crystal and dial; whereas on the older models the thinner bezel compliments the crystal and dial in a different way.
Bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 02:56 AM   #49
Manamana
"TRF" Member

The SD43 is my favorite of all the Rolex divers and GMTs I own.
Manamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 03:47 AM   #50
stockae92
2024 Pledge Member

I am not crazy about it because its a little bland. I ended up getting the two tone SD43 and love it.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2023, 03:57 AM   #51
subdweller
"TRF" Member

luckily rolex has produced a bunch of different models and versions of their watches over the years so theres something that fits everyones taste. lots to enjoy and appreciate even if they dont fit one's individual taste
subdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:37 AM   #52
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I've found, over the years, the only love that matters for any watch I have is mine.

Everything else is just white noise.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 12:56 AM   #53
Akacoke
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
For me, it's the best looking Sea-Dweller ever made, the best all-around diver there is and my favourite Rolex piece. I'm fine with the fact it's not popular, makes it even more distinct and special, if anything.

The regular Sub is objectively a great piece of course, but to me it's nothing special. I never wanted one, not even when I started this hobby 20 years ago. The SD43 adressed the issues I had with the Sub40 116610 (supercase, smallish size and ubiquity). I own a TT blue Sub41 because there is no TT blue SD43.

I look at my SS SD43 and it's purposeful, has a gritty demeanour, looks badass. Great size and proportions. Unique charcoal dial, almost tropical. The single red line reminds us of its pedigree. The sexy lugs are almost integrated with the end links of a generously wide bracelet perfectly tapered at the clasp. My ageing eyes are grateful of the cyclops' excellent magnification. Sharp cutting teeth on the bezel to remind us of its predatory nature. Make no mistake, it's a beast, a killing machine. This thing hits you hard. Nothing comes close in terms of overall package. To me, it's perfect.

I still vividly remember the first time I saw it at the AD in 2017 and tried it on, a mic drop moment. The kind of first impression you won't forget in a lifetime. I took it home, of course. So glad I did.
You spoke my mind sir.
Old 20 October 2023, 01:06 AM   #54
samson66

Watch: my money leaving!
My favorite watch. Had it nearly five full years now. Fits me perfectly and comfortably. Smaller wrist folks should go to the Sub, but if you have the wrist for it the SD43 is the greatest diver out there IMO.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:27 AM   #55
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

Quote:

+1 !

The subject comes up sometimes, and I wrote this about it.

...Personally I like this watch. This is the demonstration of Rolex in the quest for resistance to pressure. For what it offers in waterproofing, it's not that thick. The 43 doesn't really do that, and the whole thing is well proportioned. I think we have one of the best bezel on the market here, sound and feel. The matt dial, the red line, the valve. The bracelet we know, it's the best. It's overall built like a tank, not too much of a precious side. It really is "something else". What advantages. Much appreciated...

So if you already have a traditional Sub or have noticed that everyone has one, and you want something different and/or more advanced, this is for you.

(you can even have both, see several versions, even watches other than this brand and vary the pleasures, it's not yet forbidden!)

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 01:32 AM   #56
Peter Toronto
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That synopsis perfectly mirrors my thoughts and you said it far better than I probably could have.

Peter Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 02:29 AM   #57
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Had one, don't anymore. I had the wrist poking issue which is funny because I never had an issue with either of my DSSD's. The other thing for me was the cyclops - I don't think it belongs on a sea dweller.
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 03:35 AM   #58
time4no1
"TRF" Member

Love mine. Mk1 dial. Great on my 8.25" wrist.
time4no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 04:42 AM   #59
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akacoke View Post
You spoke my mind sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toproll85 View Post
+1 !

The subject comes up sometimes, and I wrote this about it.

...Personally I like this watch. This is the demonstration of Rolex in the quest for resistance to pressure. For what it offers in waterproofing, it's not that thick. The 43 doesn't really do that, and the whole thing is well proportioned. I think we have one of the best bezel on the market here, sound and feel. The matt dial, the red line, the valve. The bracelet we know, it's the best. It's overall built like a tank, not too much of a precious side. It really is "something else". What advantages. Much appreciated...

So if you already have a traditional Sub or have noticed that everyone has one, and you want something different and/or more advanced, this is for you.

(you can even have both, see several versions, even watches other than this brand and vary the pleasures, it's not yet forbidden!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Toronto View Post
That synopsis perfectly mirrors my thoughts and you said it far better than I probably could have.

What can I say? Great minds think alike!
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 05:42 AM   #60
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaniard1675 View Post
The 50th anniversary Sea Dweller 126600 is bulked up to 43mm with red lettering and cyclops date.

I'm curious as to why it is pretty much the only Rolex Professional selling on the secondary market for less than retail.

I had one and sold it because I felt the proportions were off (hands too small) and I also felt the bezel had too much play.

Curious as to how others feel about this model and why the "poor" performance on the secondary market.
You answered your own question. People sold it for the same reason you did. What’s so hard to understand?
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote