The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 February 2013, 05:42 AM   #1
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Submariner 16800 and 1680 comparison

This is a write up on my experience owning both the Rolex Submariner 1680 and the Rolex Submariner 16800 stainless steel sport watches.

I am still relatively new to the Rolex watch world. I am not selling these watches, just opening up a discussion about what I think about them. And yes, I still own both of these:

Rolex Submariner (16800)
I've had this (1984 year) watch for just over two years, and it was my first Rolex purchase. It came fully serviced, and it keeps 1 second per day accuracy….!

What I like:

The clarity of the black dial really shows against the sapphire crystal, which has been scratch free. The watch has a slightly heavier feel than the older 1680. The 16800 came with either a matte dial or not matte dial with the white gold surrounding the luminova dots. I have owned both dial versions, and I actually prefer the more modern one with white gold surrounds on the dial.

The movement has the quickset date, which is the only complication- what else do you need in a classic diving watch! Of all the watches I have worn in the last 3 years, this 16800 with the white gold surrounds has received the most compliments from personal friends and family-- several family members have asked me to loan this watch to them…!

The bezel insert clicks and spins around the dial with the sounds and feel of a very well designed mechanical piece. It has the vintage looking date wheel with the open 6's and open 9's- just another nice touch. The dial and case closely resemble the newer 16610 watch, most people wouldn't know that this is a 1984 watch.

This is a great $4,000 dollar (US) watch. The 4k price point means that you can sell this watch very quickly. The quick sale capability of a 16800 makes this a great watch for me to own, as I will probably sell it, and other watches as part of my watch hobby.

What I don't like:
It wears slightly heavier, and is just a few millimeters thicker than my other watches, which is an issue when you have a smaller wrist; I have solved this problem by putting this watch on a leather strap for weekend wear, which allows me to wear it more tightly on the wrist.

Rolex Submariner (1680)
I've had this (1977 year) watch for five months, it came with full service papers from a complete Rolex overall, including new dial, hands, bezel insert, crown, etc. It runs at under one second per day accuracy, and for all intent and purposes, it's what the 1680 looked like if you could go back in time and buy a new one.

What I like:
The case size looks and feels smaller/lighter than the 16800. I can wear this watch on a stainless steel bracelet and it looks the right size for me. The plastic crystal and matte dial provide the classic/vintage Rolex look that I really admire.

This model came in many dial variations, with the most significant factor for me being the newer white "submariner" dials vs. the older red "submariner" dials. The cost of the Red submariner pushes that model out of my range, and in my opinion the white sub is a better purchase- note that the Red Sub price range is often twice the cost of similar white sub.
This watch also has the vintage looking date wheel with the open 6's and open 9's.

What I don't like:
Turning the bezel insert requires you to push down on the bezel, and there is no click sounds and feel when doing so compared to the 16800 symphony…
No quickset date, but that's what you get with a vintage watch, and the 1680 is considered a vintage timepiece.

Conclusion:
Both the 16800 and 1680 are great sport models. The biggest difference is old vs. new. Do you want sapphire or plastic crystals, do you want a more vintage or new looking watch, etc. So many other brands have borrowed from the basic design of the submariner, but I for one like owning two of the originals….
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16800c.jpg (98.0 KB, 819 views)
File Type: jpg white.main.JPG (49.8 KB, 823 views)
Old 5 February 2013, 06:03 AM   #2
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
There are 2 lovers of Subs. THose who like the chrome/gold surrounds on the dial, and those that done. i personally love matte dials and non gold surrond indexes. everything else is secondary. both are beautiful, you have good taste!
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2013, 07:10 AM   #3
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Two beautiful watches - I have a white 1680 myself and though I now recognise that I paid well over the odds, it is a beauty and definitely a keeper!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Yes, i too am a member of the "I paid top dollar" for my 1680 club- no regrets here, it's a lovely new looking watch..
Old 5 February 2013, 11:06 AM   #5
greatgoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor66 View Post
Yes, i too am a member of the "I paid top dollar" for my 1680 club- no regrets here, it's a lovely new looking watch..
Been looking at purchasing a 1680 or 16800. What is a good price for a 1680 that has been refurbished to look like new? Appears a little over $4k for 16800 is a good price.
greatgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2013, 01:32 PM   #6
vkychoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 '67 Sub
I prefer the non WG surrounds on a matte dial personally and your watches are nice because they are for you :)
vkychoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2013, 03:06 PM   #7
John in MA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgoo View Post
Been looking at purchasing a 1680 or 16800. What is a good price for a 1680 that has been refurbished to look like new? Appears a little over $4k for 16800 is a good price.
It really depends. I picked up my 76 on ebay with original dial/hands/insert/bracelet and a service (with paperwork though not RSC) for $4000 shipped. After purchasing a service dial/hand set I was all in at $4550.

A few months ago, 1680's with service dial/hands were being sold on the forums for around the $4500-$5000 price range. Not sure if they sold.

Tudor66,

Those are great. I am also a fan of both. Can't beat either though I'm a matte dial fan myself. After I got the service dial and hands for my 1680, I had to do the same for my 16800. Sourced a 2nd matte dial and hands, relumed them and installed them. Now both glow.

If you can get one, I recommend a silver date wheel for the 16800. Makes all the difference.

Mine say "Sup?"

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2013, 10:23 PM   #8
greatgoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkychoo View Post
I prefer the non WG surrounds on a matte dial personally and your watches are nice because they are for you :)
Do they make a 1680 with a WG bezel? I have looked at both the 1680 and 16800 and didn't notice a difference in the bezel. Does the WG shine a little more?
Old 6 February 2013, 04:17 AM   #9
John in MA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgoo View Post
Do they make a 1680 with a WG bezel? I have looked at both the 1680 and 16800 and didn't notice a difference in the bezel. Does the WG shine a little more?
He's referring to the surrounds on the dial. 1680 doesn't come with a dial that has the white gold surrounds.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2013, 12:21 PM   #10
greatgoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in MA View Post
He's referring to the surrounds on the dial. 1680 doesn't come with a dial that has the white gold surrounds.
Oh I gotcha. Thanks. For some reason I really like the surrounds without the gold. They look bigger and brighter, especially within the matte dial.
Old 29 August 2013, 11:31 PM   #11
wahasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
This one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (128.9 KB, 518 views)
wahasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2013, 11:34 PM   #12
wahasa
"TRF" Member

Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (125.5 KB, 521 views)
Old 29 August 2013, 11:36 PM   #13
wahasa
"TRF" Member

And a last one.

FYI I wear my 1680 almost everyday and that top hat crystal is just eye candy all day long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (117.8 KB, 515 views)